Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DSC Sport Controller

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

ehyman

ehyman

Stock

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 24-August 14

Check out some of Michael's videos on youtube, yes you can adjust the response curve of the shocks (Again within limits of what the hardware allows) separately in both the low and high speed sections of the graph. its not magically going to change the overall envelope, but will allow you to fine tune. IMHO its the dynamic adjustments that make it very fun.

Eric

Edited by ehyman, 24 April 2017 - 10:49 PM.

• thehelix112 and mikelmarion like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA

Interesting Eric, thanks for the explanation!

What about quick vs slow damping, like the 4 way adjustable dampers? What I'd be looking for is a softer rebound setting at high speed wheel rates(for taking curbs) and then stiffer bound settings for transitions and change of direction (flat esses and complex corners)

Can it do something like that?

In for the answer. I'm thinking not. The rtx looks to be only "2-way adjustable" ie, high and low speed, but to adjust rebound and compression together.

Going by the highly technical stock photo on their website.

Now if they could retrofit the position sensors from the c7.. The system would know if it's in compression or rebound and then yes, it definitely could.

I think.

Dave
  • mikelmarion likes this

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 240 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

Edited by mikelmarion, 25 April 2017 - 12:56 AM.

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

POPULAR

Just placed my order through David Buschur for the DCS Sport controller! I will be going to VIR on the 20th for a hyperdrive so that'll be my first real test. I am on stock 09 suspension so I will keep everyone posted on my thoughts from stock to DCS sport.  :D

• changster, 7racer, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

Buschur Racing

Buschur Racing

Stage 4 Member

• 2,360 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13
  • LocationWakeman, Ohio

Just placed my order through David Buschur for the DCS Sport controller! I will be going to VIR on the 20th for a hyperdrive so that'll be my first real test. I am on stock 09 suspension so I will keep everyone posted on my thoughts from stock to DCS sport.  :D

Thanks for the order, it is shipping out tomorrow!

• 09GTR08135 likes this
www.buschurracing.com

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.33@168.68 mph, E80 fuel.
BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.74@160.08 mph, 93 octane.
Standing 1/2 mile 199.29 mph

COBB TUNING DEALER AND PRO TUNER

BUSCHUR RACING on FACEBOOK

BR SHOOTOUT on FACEBOOK

pgordon888

pgordon888

Stock

• Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 05-March 16
  • LocationPhilly
Is there any base tune maps available off the shelf for the Litchfield suspension kit? I know on the U.K. site consensus is these LM shocks require different tuning than the stock shocks.

2014 Blue Pearl GT-R Premium Procom Built and Tuned (Borg Warner 6758 EFR - Linney EFR on Built 10.1 CR 3.8L + Shep 1K)
Linney Stock Manifold EFR (BW 6758) + PTP Turbo Blankets; Drummond Race Stage 1.5 3.8L (10.1 CR AMS/Manley Extreme Duty Pistons, Manley Rods, Kelford 266 Cams + Valvetrain, ARP Main and Head Studs, Ported OEM Manifold); Shep 1K + Drag Pack + DSS Pro Axles + Jack's ETS and Albins FWD Output Shaft and Dodson Heavy Duty FWD shaft; AMS fuel rail kit; Procom Bumper Beam Catch Can; BR FMIC; AMS Omega dual brushless fuel system; Full Expel Ultimate wrap; Stillen skid plate; 2015+ LB headlights; JDM clear side markers; Morr VS51 Comp 20x10, 20x12 with MPS4S 285/345 and Rays lugs; Litchfield Suspension Kit + Litchfield handling kit; Goodridge G Stop SS Brake Lines; Procom Ecutek SD flexfuel and TCM tune + BT Module; AMS coolant tank; GB 3 inch intakes, SD kit, and fuel pressure fail safe kit; ID 1700cc injectors; Tial BOVs; Linney 90mm downpipes (Gen 2); Linney Titan ti exhaust (Gen 2 Street version)

14411988413 fe0fb62d7d B

v3n0m

v3n0m

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13
Subscribing. Very interested.

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

Cross posting from my other post, in case this thread is more appropriate for the question. 

I realise this isn't going to be something that affects the majority, but I'd like to ask anyway. My question relates to purchasers of the DSC Sport controller to use with *stock* suspension. The development cars, I'm reasonably certain, have been 2014 or earlier. The spring rates on the 2016+ cars are softer, and the stiffness of the sway bars is lower.

To Eric or David or anyone else with experience, will the current controller maps adversely affect the handling properties of the later model cars? If so, what is the best way to accommodate this using the DSCTuner software? Is it using the "Shock Calibration" tab on the software and setting it to be more stiff, or is it more complex than this (I'm guessing yes)?

Thanks!

• thehelix112 likes this

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

POPULAR

Well, sometimes the best way to answer your questions is through empiricism. The controller unit in question has the latest firmware (end Dec 2016) and the most updated maps from Eric Hyman's testing (April 2017), and it was installed on a late 2016 built RHD GT-R, otherwise completely stock. The usual disclaimer applies that these are by definition subjective impressions, and the placebo effect is therefore important to bear in mind. I also don't know how this map compares to the previous base maps.

Installation is straightforward. A communications error was encountered on initial attempt to interface the controller with a laptop. The DSC "Tuning Academy" videos directly addressed this and the issue was rapidly resolved. The 3 videos  thus far are referenced here :- https://www.6speedon...ng-academy.html

It was evident from first start that it was "working", as the in-dash controller recalled the last mode used (Comfort) and defaulted to it. The car was taken out for some low speed driving around some pretty ordinary roads, in traffic, to see how this mode actually worked relative to the stock 2016 suspension ECU. Surprisingly, it actually feels *firmer* than the stock 2016 calibration in comfort and normal mode. Not unpleasantly so, but the car is markedly less floaty at low speed. Some may find this less comfortable than the stock suspension programming.

Best way to sum it up is it feels more "R" than "GT" at sub-50mph, which was not at all what was expected. I think this must relate to the setting in the "Shock Calibration" software table, because the "Speed" table in the software modulates behaviour only above 60mph - well above  the speeds I was doing on the street. Overall, I believe this is a net positive, but will withhold opinion until I get a chance to test some more. 

One other thing noticeable was that it took a little longer for the suspension control switch in-cabin to change from Comfort to Normal to R compared to the stock suspension ECU. Not a big deal, but noticeable.

The car was then taken out on the highway for some acceleration and braking runs and some fun twisty bits against which the stock car is well calibrated. Happily, some fun roll on runs at random speeds were included with a middle-displacement bike that wanted to play. Let me preface this by saying that driving was to the conditions (i.e. nothing egregious), and that the GT-R unfortunately lost :(. It was *awesomely* fun, though, and thumbs were raised all around :)

This is where the controller seemed to come into its own. High speed braking is palpably improved - none of the diving due to forward weight transfer that is there with the stock suspension. I ascribe this to better pre-emptive front damper stiffening under braking compared to the stock suspension tune. Some fast, sweeping right hand corners demonstrated palpably sharper turn in, less understeer and a perceptible feeling of "lightness" to the car. Lane changes at 60+mph speeds felt more direct. Overall, a definite net positive thus far.

No launch testing has been undertaken as yet. It will be assessed.

No error codes emerged at any stage.

Overall, in initial testing on a stock late model car, on which there is next to 0 reported data thus far,  the verdict is a cautiously positive one, but needing more data. Updates will be forthcoming.

Edited by shombre, 21 May 2017 - 03:48 AM.

• changster, 7racer, thehelix112 and 4 others like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Great post. Thanks so much for the feedback. Can't wait to hear how it goes with launch testing.

Dave
  • mikelmarion likes this

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

Hi Dave, thanks for the kind words, and to 7, changster, mikel et al who found it helpful :)

One of my children, who goes to school in the GT-R daily, found the changes imperceptible, which is reassuring. There is no question in my mind, having driven on crappy roads and traffic this morning, that the Comf and Normal modes are stiffer than stock 2016 programming. I am fine with that, but it may not suit everyone.  

I also am confident in saying that *low* speed turn in and quick changes in direction - such as going through roundabouts (shout out to Dave here ;)) - is perceptibly better. Much less unnecessary outside weight transfer. As a result, the car feels more like a proper sportscar.

I think "more R than GT" really does sum it up well.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, these units also have WiFi connectivity, and this will be enabled very soon :)

I will update once I figure out how best to test to allow rational conclusions about launching.

• choerizo, Buschur Racing and mikelmarion like this

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

To answer a few of the PMs - thank you to David Buschur, from whom I purchased the unit :)

I have done some testing in damp weather, and I can say with confidence that there is measurably increased traction in all normal circumstances. As such, the OEM traction control, which is highly intrusive IMHO, is much less likely to step in. The settings that Mike, Eric et al have developed seem to work very harmoniously with the whole VDC system. Without gushing, it really is very impressive. I think it also allows for a safety margin, even for daily driving, that is even greater than the already-remarkable stock system.

I have done some basic standing start testing, without using the OEM launch control. Definitely no downsides - the car feels even more stable, with less unnecessary weight transfer.  I have verified with Mike Levitas that launch programming for the suspension is enabled on the current batch of units. Interestingly, it's an "always available" proposition - to activate it, *regardless* of the settings in the VDC control panel, hold brake pressure over 25bar. A rapid push and let up on the throttle, and notice the LED in the suspension button (per the video he made). The timer starts when you release the brake.  This can even be done with the ignition on, engine off.

Again, without gushing and allowing for the placebo effect, I am extremely impressed, and would recommend it unreservedly thus far.

If the track testing by someone experienced like Shawn demonstrates similarly positive results, then I am confident in saying that, to quote changster, this may be as much of a game-changer for a GT-R on stock suspension and alignment as it appears to have been for 997 and later model Porsches.

Edited by shombre, 22 May 2017 - 04:20 PM.

• ian.r, changster, thehelix112 and 1 other like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

POPULAR

If the track testing by someone experienced like Shawn demonstrates similarly positive results, then I am confident in saying that, to quote changster, this may be as much of a game-changer for a GT-R on stock suspension and alignment as it appears to have been for 997 and later model Porsches.

Well, shit.  I have a trackday planned for early July with ourtoy and his spouse at VIR, so I guess I have to get one of these things.

David Buschur, can you give me a hookup?  I met Mike Levitas in person, and wanted to try his hardware after I saw what his machine could do, but I should support a GTRHeritage vendor.

Shawn

• changster, 7racer, thehelix112 and 4 others like this

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

Shawn, you need to get this. You have contributed so much to my knowledge of the GT-R - I'm delighted to give something back  :) Get after it, my man. And post back!

Edited by shombre, 22 May 2017 - 04:37 PM.

• thehelix112 and mikelmarion like this

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

Took the car on track with the DSC controller. The car performed great - I could eat up every curb and never notice it was there. Braking was much much much better. My only complaint is I could not get the power down AT ALL. The car would try to kill me on corner exit. I am used to driving a 600hp C6 with 315s all around so I'm thinking it was a lack of rear tire and alignment. I haven't checked what the previous owner has for an alignment. The car is running 285 squared MPSS which the rears are the oldest (2013 rear, 2015 fronts). 

• choerizo, Buschur Racing and mikelmarion like this

Buschur Racing

Buschur Racing

Stage 4 Member

• 2,360 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13
  • LocationWakeman, Ohio

Well, shit.  I have a trackday planned for early July with ourtoy and his spouse at VIR, so I guess I have to get one of these things.

David Buschur, can you give me a hookup?  I met Mike Levitas in person, and wanted to try his hardware after I saw what his machine could do, but I should support a GTRHeritage vendor.

Shawn

Sure can!  Just call us to order it, 440-839-1900.  It will get dropped shipped to you ASAP.

• shawnhayes likes this
www.buschurracing.com

BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.33@168.68 mph, E80 fuel.
BR160 package, stock turbofolds, 8.74@160.08 mph, 93 octane.
Standing 1/2 mile 199.29 mph

COBB TUNING DEALER AND PRO TUNER

BUSCHUR RACING on FACEBOOK

BR SHOOTOUT on FACEBOOK

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 240 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

9999So are you guys running the stock shocks with the Dsc controller or the tractive?

09GTR08135

09GTR08135

Stock

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 26-February 17

9999So are you guys running the stock shocks with the Dsc controller or the tractive?

I'm on completely stock 2009 suspension with 122k on them  :D

• mikelmarion likes this

shombre

shombre

Stock

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 22-May 16

^^^ Likewise, Mikel, OEM 2016 suspension, OEM runflats and OEM street alignment. 

I've held off commenting for a bit to see if the placebo effect has worn off yet, but the way the car turns in and brakes still makes me grin from ear to ear at the moment :)

I'd welcome some comment from more experienced people. Mike Levitas made a point of emphasising that the controller was setup on his Nismo with a 17.3mm rear sway bar. I have a basic understanding of sway bar effects, but am wondering what people's experiences have been changing to a thicker sway bar - either a non-adjustable item (has anybody  upgraded to the OEM Nismo rear and/or front bars?) or an adjustable reputable brand? Specifically what handling implications were observed on the street and on the track, and what alignment settings were changed if any?

Thanks!

Edited by shombre, 24 May 2017 - 01:44 PM.

• changster likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Sure can!  Just call us to order it, 440-839-1900.  It will get dropped shipped to you ASAP.

Ordered and on the way.

Shawn

• ian.r and 7racer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users