Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

KW Sleeve Kit install

* * * * * 1 votes suspension kw sleeve kw

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
Is the the 0.5" drop in front only your goal? Or are you also following TSM's or other recommendations?

Another ref point is, Eibach springs lower the front 0.8" and rear 0.5". Swift Spec R are about 1" all around.
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,800 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I am doing pieces of it in phases -- will still need to adjust camber settings and get sway bars but I like to test one component at a time to see how they affect handling/performance of the car. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done w/the driver mod.  ;)

• icarus, 7racer and thehelix112 like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,800 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Here's some updates on the rear sleeve install. Like many have said before, the majority of the time is spent removing interior pieces to gain access to the bolts that hold the strut in. They are under the rear deck where your speakers are and if you start to backtrace, you'll realize you need to remove pretty much everything in the back. I won't go into details on how to remove the interior as that has been done before, but if anyone needs help I can give pointers. Essentially, start with the seats, the seat back, the armrest/cupholder, the sub cover, the side panels, the top side panels, and then rear deck. Once you are done, you should have these pieces out.

IMG_0930.JPG

The inside should look like this (note I have additional sound deadening so your interior may look slightly different).

IMG_0931.JPG

Once you pull off the rear deck, you will see the suspension covered in sound deadening material. 

IMG_0946.JPG

Carefully peel it off and you will see the same configuration as under the hood for the front (3x12mm bolts, 17mm in the center). You will also notice it is set much deeper inside the wheel well so my passthru tool would not work from inside the car.

IMG_0949.JPG

Loosen the top 3 12mm bolts completely (don't worry it won't fall out). 

Now back under the car. Pull the wheel off and remove the 17mm bolt holding the bottom end of the shock in.

IMG_0958a.jpg

That's it. Now you can pull the shock assembly out. No other bolts need to be removed.

IMG_0963.JPG

Completely disassemble.

IMG_0965.JPG

Reassemble w/KW components as instructed.

IMG_0969.JPG

Reattach back into vehicle.

IMG_0971.JPG

Edited by choester, 16 March 2015 - 04:04 PM.

• forty-two and 7racer like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Awesome man. My wife is gunna have a heart attack if she ever seems that much of the car not attached to it. :D

Dave

Edited by thehelix112, 16 March 2015 - 01:45 PM.

• choerizo likes this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,800 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Install complete! Still need to fine tune the height, but it drives pretty good. Only went around the neighborhood so I didn't get a chance to give it a full test but the ride felt just a tad firmer than stock. Steering response does seem improved though.

IMG_0977.JPG

• icarus, 7racer and thetastelingers like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

NICE!

I've pulled off those rear plastic pieces also, if you do this as a DIY, you might want to buy some extra clips as a just in case.

Usually you can still push the plastics back but you might get left with some rattles.  

FWIW

In7anity!!

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

TopSpeed OLOA car for comparison

DSC_2744.jpg

2014 NISSAN GT-R

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,800 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX
Funny enough it looks like they have higher ground clearance guessing from the larger diameter tires. I just bought a set of telescoping gauges to help with the adjustment.
  • 7racer likes this

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
I'm thinking that front tire clearance was dictating minimum ride height in front, and rear must follow suit.

Sure wish TSM would chime in...
2014 NISSAN GT-R

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,800 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

If they set all heights the same, is it not worth getting corner balanced?

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

If they set all heights the same, is it not worth getting corner balanced?

they can be all at the same height but corner balance way off.

In7anity!!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,800 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

After riding around town some more, I have found the rears to be slightly more "bouncy" than stock CBA setup. This is most noticeable when adjusting between R & Comf settings (the change feels much more substantial than OEM). I wonder if this is due to the difference in spring rates? I would have figured the ride to be more harsh rather than compliant but will this equate to better handling. Hitting up COTA on Sunday so we will see how they perform and feel on a smooth track.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Two suggestions:

As per this thread:

http://www.speedfors...nSpringsGTR.pdf

Removing the front shock is A LOT easier if the front axle nut is removed

And....

The upper control arm bolts do not have to be REMOVED, just loosened.  Loosening them allows up and down movement of the upper control arm, enough to get the shock out.

Shawn

• Chris**** likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension, kw sleeve, kw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users