Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GT-R on GRM

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,911 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOzarks

cover.jpg

What front bumper is that?  Looks like OEM DBA but without the DRLs...

• ian.r likes this
-Jeff

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

attachicon.gifcover.jpg

What front bumper is that?  Looks like OEM DBA but without the DRLs...

Details in another article..

http://www.motoiq.co...issan-GT-R.aspx

CRP replicated the DBA nose.

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA

Oh interesting.  Looks like they either swapped the side the exhausts exit from, or found some value in dual side exits like the GT3 cars.

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

i-qdPbK3C-L.jpg

Side exit.

Shawn

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,911 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOzarks

Details in another article..

http://www.motoiq.co...issan-GT-R.aspx

CRP replicated the DBA nose.

Shawn

Interesting user comments from "tyndago" on that link... seems to suggest the GT-R was piss poor in that particular series.  Thoughts?

• shawnhayes likes this
-Jeff

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

i-qdPbK3C-L.jpg

Side exit.

Shawn

That's the other side.  Also that's the older red car I think.

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Interesting user comments from "tyndago" on that link... seems to suggest the GT-R was piss poor in that particular series.  Thoughts?

It was.  That was very likely Sean Morris, author of...

http://www.2009gtr.com/

A huge GT-R fan.  The car sucked ass in the series.  My opinion that the problem is money.  The R35 platform requires a lot of money to run at a full competitive series.  That is the diametrically opposed purpose of the car.  It was designed to be a super ROAD car, that could go out and put the SMACKDOWN on other ROAD cars on the track.

Once graduated to RACE car, all bets are off.  With engines/suspensions/wheels/powertrains basically unlimited, the tried and proven chassis in the series have the advantage - as the R&D has already been done.  For the R35, the RACE R&D chassis in the Japanese series have so little in common with the road car, that it doesn't translate.  Add to that the Japanese don't let out their R&D anyway, and then you have to do it all yourself.

Shawn

• HiBoost likes this

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
plenty of issues plagued there build. it looked like this would have been the year to have it all fixed, but they changed cars. no more gtr.

they had a lot of r&d into it. hopefully they still sell some of the parts to the rest of you guys .. im guessing there is not enough people interested tho.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I was really interested in the uprights and other suspension pieces.... :(

In7anity!!

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 957 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

I was always disappointed that the GT-R was not remotely competitive in the World Challenge series. When I first saw the 2 Brass Money GT-R's at Mosport several years ago, they were weaving and bobbing all over the place, and just did not look and feel like the other race cars. Watching from different corners on the track you could see the fast cars go around and they looked well sorted, but those GT-R's just did not look right. The team couldn't seem to get the suspension dialled in on their Penske coilovers. And they were slow. That effort died out, and then the Hawk sponsored car came out and was also not competitive. Looking at that MotoiQ write-up, they obviously worked hard on the car and modified it a ton. I saw it run in the first WC race this year, and still the same lack of performance. I guess that is why they shelved it. No more GT-R's racing as it seems no one has been able to make the car competitive starting from an OEM based car and building it in a NA race shop.

It is curious as the car is so good in stock or slightly modified form on track versus other road cars, but so poor in race trim versus other race cars. Of course the factory modified race cars running in Europe are a different thing altogether.

You can see the CRP Racing Hawk GT-R race results here for 2013: https://www.competit..._Challenge.html

Edited by descartesfool, 20 May 2014 - 04:55 AM.

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 957 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

I just learned that they have found a use for the Hawk GT-R now that it has been withdrawn from WC racing. Mike Skeen will be driving it up Pikes Peak. It will be set for rear wheel drive as apprantely now that the whole course has been paved, that is seen as an advantage.

• Tim, ian.r, 7racer and 1 other like this

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
good news, thanks!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Cool. Still want them to release the uprights though..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users