Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Racing Brake Replacement Caliper Review

- - - - - racing brake replacement caliper racing caliper

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Gentlemen,

I was one of the prepurchasers of the Racing Brake package for CBA GTR's.  As many of you know, I value my brakes.  I'm very hard on them.  So far, with the stock OEM calipers my problems have included....

1. Poor cooling properties

2. Tapering top to bottom on pads

3. Tapering front to back on pads

4. Burnt dust seals

5. Separated two piece pistons

6. Easily chipped surface

7. Uneven color due to heat

While these problems aren't ALL common, Problems #4, #6, and #1 are VERY common for anyone who tracks the GT-R.

That being said, I was convinced that the new Racing Brake caliper would be a worthwhile investment...

So, arrived in the mail a couple of days ago....

DSCN0292.JPG

I think this work of automotive beauty will solve a whole LOT of the above problems.  I will post any and all details as SOON as I can.

Shawn

• Tim, ian.r and changster like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Reserved for install review and pics

Shawn

Updates...

caliper is installed.  Fitment around an OEM sized CBA disc is PERFECT.  The rotor to caliper clearance is very nice.  I think, actually, they are easier to bolt to the upright than OEM.

DSCN03091.JPG

Fitment under OEM 2009 20" wheels is also perfect.  Clearances are good, lots of room for air movement and cooling.

DSCN03221.JPG

DSCN03201.JPG

This is installed with testing lines.  Racing Brake and I are finalizing the details for the perfect line, and I will update you with those pics when I have them.

The caliper is installed, and working, and holding pressure with no leaks at this time.  It was very easy to bleed, and expelled air nicely.

The pad installation is much more typical of an appropriate pad holding area with protective installed springs on the pad lands that I have seen.  I have seen many GT-R calipers galled by the backing plate in the pad holding area.  Racing Brake has a protective and replaceable pad land to avoid this problem.  Copied from 7racers pics...

14020372030_e2fa9c54f6_b.jpg

I will update with the final details when Racing Brake and I finalize the lines.

Updates here and at the bottom of the thread!

Install completed with new lines. Installation went flawlessly...

New lines...

post-1368-140157093552.jpg

post-1368-140157094414.jpg

post-1368-140157095225.jpg

As the hydraulic oil bled out of the calipers, I was reminded that these calipers have been bench tested to 3000 psi. That's quality assurance.

Shawn          

Edited by shawnhayes, 01 June 2014 - 08:08 AM.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

On track review...

After two sessions at VIR, I have a couple of things to say...

#1 - The brakes are much easier to modulate.  They are not "on" or "off".  I have a lot more brake pedal of hard hard braking, and light braking, and a lot of room in between.  This is similar to the Alcon experience, I am told.  But, with a much cheaper (and I think, frankly, better, caliper).

#2 - Brake temps seem to be a little lower.  I haven't been able to view all of the brake temp paint, but the caliper paint hasn't changed color AT ALL where I can see it.

So, I am very impressed to this point.  I have multiple hard sessions throughout the day.  I will report back as soon as I finish up.

Shawn

P.S. - brake pad wear....

I now have one drag race, and three full race weekends on ONE set of DTC-70's.  So far, I'm figuring that's at least 7 and 1/2 full HOURS on track.  The comparable number of gallons of gasoline used during that track time alone (not counting street between and the drag racing event) has been 120 gallons of fuel.  The new calipers are impressive.  The pads are wearing well and not tapering...

Edited by shawnhayes, 21 July 2014 - 08:46 PM.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Temp paints at the track.

Genesis temp paint.

Rotor:

IMG_13291.JPG

Caliper:

No change in temp paint.  Temps are nominal on the caliper.  But notice the BRAKE PAD BACKING PLATE - also NOT getting hot.

Okay, now I'm impressed....

IMG_13301.JPG

Shawn

Edited by shawnhayes, 25 June 2014 - 08:10 PM.

K-MAN

K-MAN

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 12-January 13

SUB.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
What convinced you?

Dave

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

What convinced you?

Dave

Compare the construction of these to a full race Stoptech, AP, even a Brembo "race" caliper.

The dust seal locations are similar.  The material is similar.  The split block construction is similar.  The increased weight for thermal loading is similar.

Don't get me wrong.  The stock Brembos are SOOOO much better than normal calipers.  But for a behemoth like the GT-R, you need near perfection.

My brake problems over the years with the stock AND CCM's helped convince me - this is certainly an upgrade.

But, also, lets think like a Dubai prince.  The hard anodizing ALONE is an "upgrade" enough to justify the consideration of doing this - although the cost is hefty.  Appearance ONLY would be good enough.

Add to that what appears to be very solid engineering, proven concepts on the track, and it's a slam dunk.

This is less than guys are paying for 2015 headlights and tailights.  Is it worth it?  Damn straight.

Shawn

Jon H

Jon H

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

But does it have lightning bolts? lol

Sounds like an awesome upgrade. Brakes has always been the biggest issue that I have with this car. Keep us posted!

2017 GT-R

2015 GT3 (Sold)

2013 GT-R (Sold)

BW CW13 - 1:50.6 https://youtu.be/CFau6MhJHa4

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Hehe I just finished skimming the Rb thread. Price looks decent. Is it for all 4 corners though?

Also confused by the Rb forum and whether they're offering a zr1 ccm option?

I'll go post in the other thread, but I don't know that a 2 piece caliper is an advantage over a monoblock one? Something that I'd love to see testing on (pressure versus deflection). I wonder if the chunkier construction of the Rb cal compensates for the 2 pieceness.

Dave

Edited by thehelix112, 14 May 2014 - 11:58 AM.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Hehe I just finished skimming the Rb thread. Price looks decent. Is it for all 4 corners though?

Also confused by the Rb forum and whether they're offering a zr1 ccm option?

I'll go post in the other thread, but I don't know that a 2 piece caliper is an advantage over a monoblock one? Something that I'd love to see testing on (pressure versus deflection). I wonder if the chunkier construction of the Rb cal compensates for the 2 pieceness.

Dave

Not all four corners.  Just two.

Not a full CCM option yet.

Two piece is due to construction.  From what I know, it is difficult to impossible to forge one that big witout making it two piece, but you should ask warren.

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Not all four corners.  Just two.

Not a full CCM option yet.

Two piece is due to construction.  From what I know, it is difficult to impossible to forge one that big witout making it two piece, but you should ask warren.

Shawn

Interesting.. Are you saying that alcon went with a smaller caliper (though it sure doesn't look small), as indicated by the smaller pad size, but monoblock, where as it StopTech and now RB are going with larger pad size and 2-piece?

Dave

Jiaim

Jiaim

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Do they have a rear set ?

Warren-RB

Warren-RB

Stage 4 Member

• 529 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Do they have a rear set ?

These are fronts only, correct? What can be done to match the rears, for aesthetic purposes?

A reply just being posted in this development thread:

How big is a brake kit?

Here are some images on the rear 4-pot calipers kit (designed to use stock pads)

2770d23f-88db-496d-bc58-f47f97ea779d_zps

85d9f305-eb35-4620-a16d-3bdf76ac6095_zps

6f603982-6fea-4077-93b9-ad62840229ba_zps

In order to make the same stock replacement rotor kits also good for future CCM rotors upgrade options by retaining the use of RB calipers, it involves more design consideration for a wider offset rear caliper to avoid modifying the rear spindle drum.

So the benefit of RB calipers kits other than retaining at stock configuration (rotor and pad), you also have them reserved for future upgrade option to CCM rotors system which will be released later. This progressive upgrade provides you with a freedom of choice and invest only as you see need.

We plan and implement these phase change into our brake design to ensure your money invested on RB brakes is fully preserved yet still has the choice of your own on consumable component.

www.RacingBrake.com

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Interesting.. Are you saying that alcon went with a smaller caliper (though it sure doesn't look small), as indicated by the smaller pad size, but monoblock, where as it StopTech and now RB are going with larger pad size and 2-piece?

Dave

Calipercomparision(for%20GTR).jpg

There are no inaccuracies that I can identify in this table.

RacingBrake is the only Forged caliper of that size that I know in the GT-R world.  All forged calipers of that size that I have seen are two piece.  I'm an amateur tribologist, not a metallurgist, so that's the only opinion I can give.  Why Alcon used a smaller pad, I have no clue.  The caliper for the Alcon is large and heavy, but necessitates the use of larger wheels than either the OEM or the RacingBrake will accomodate (pretty sure the RB will fit under 19's, but it might be close).

Does that answer your question?

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,590 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Does indeed. Esp after I went and looked up what a tribologist was. Thanks.

Dave

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I got my kit shipped to me SUPER fast while I was away on vacation in Europe.  The kit looks great and calipers super high quality!  I like the finish a lot.  The pictures don't do it justice.  It's pretty unique IMHO.

I planned to post some unboxing pics but have picked up a nasty cold since coming back from my trip.

If I get some energy I'll post the unboxing pics that I wanted to do this weekend.

I plan to run them with my ZR1 CC's but since I have the irons to compare, I can have Jotech swap them out and try to compare them back to back on track days.

• Tim likes this

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Shawn,

hope you don't mind some more pics in your thread.  Got to unboxing them today and am super stoked about getting them installed!  Quality looks amazing and I LOVE the finish!  I took a picture in the bright sun to demonstrate how it look in different light.  The Caliper itself looks awesome.  Super well built and BEAFY!  

Also, I wasn't planning on running the iron rotors initial but damn are they not nice!  I like the vented hubs and vanes.  I mean seriously check them out!  They even painted the edges of the rotors giving it super clean look!   

Anyways enjoy the pics!

brighter light

14183870696_69e667423e_b.jpgUntitled

love the color!

14020372030_e2fa9c54f6_b.jpgUntitled 

14020342769_c7d445f339_b.jpgUntitled

14227158193_bcc67b791b_b.jpgUntitled 

stainless lines included!

14183872706_9140a3d030_b.jpgUntitled 

the initial quality of the rotor and hub really surprised me when I unboxed it.

14020415657_9d6af4430e_b.jpgUntitled 

14020416277_88dea63696_b.jpgUntitled 

14020416767_3bee742308_b.jpgUntitled 

can't wait to get these out on the track!!!!

• Tim likes this

In7anity!!

APT

APT

Stock

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 28-February 14

Thanks for the pics and thread guys, will be due to switch out my AP's soon so look forward to the review once you try them out on the track.

Edited by APT, 18 May 2014 - 08:05 PM.

09 Switzer P800 "X" - track

15 Jag F Type R - daily

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,799 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Looks great. Would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison next to OEM brembos. Anxiously awaiting to hear how they perform on the track.

• shawnhayes likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

POPULAR

Looks great. Would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison next to OEM brembos. Anxiously awaiting to hear how they perform on the track.

Ask and ye shall receive...

DSCN0294.JPG

Shawn

• Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: racing brake, replacement caliper, racing caliper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users