Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2014 Camaro Z/28 vs. GT-R Track Ed. - Yahoo Autos Article

- - - - - camaro gtr comparison yahoo autos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Todzilla

Todzilla

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 183 posts
  • Joined 20-September 13

Yep, you read it right. Don't waste your time actually reading the entire article though. 

I don't have any particular disdain for the Camaro but these two cars aren't comparable.

http://www.camaronew...t-r-yahoo-autos/

• changster likes this

2011 Nissan GTR Gun Metallic
Switzer P800
Switzer Premium 90MM Stainless Steel Exhaust
Switzer Engine Cooling Package
Cobb AccessPort

H&R Springs
Custom Pine Tree Air Freshener from AutoZone

ADV 10 Deep Concave Wheels with Pirelli P Zero Nero Tires 355/25-21 / 285/30-21 Titek Lugnuts

IMG_0148-1.jpg

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
Murica :)

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner / MoTec Calibrator
-Mainline Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 21B Ozick Dr, Durham, CT   West Coast Location 16726 146th St SE, Monroe, WA

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,911 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOzarks

Motor Trend just compared them and a pro driver got a better lap time with the Z/28 and also said it was more fun to drive...  the same review said the first couple years of 5th gen camaro "sucked" but that this Z/28 was a whole new chassis and insanely better... who knows... the GT-R kicked it's butt at the dragstrip but that was about it...

-Jeff

NickTO

NickTO

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,184 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12

I guess you need to have loose lugnuts on your GT-R to feel what the Camaro is like?

What a turd of an article.

GT-R Heritage MAKES AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

NICK YOUR A FUNNY FUCKER DUDE  :D   - TIM 2015 & 2016.  2 Years Running!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

makes me wonder with the new C7 Z06 will do....

glad the liked the ceramic brakes though!  Makes me happy that I did the conversion.

• Doug@WGP likes this

In7anity!!

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 957 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

The article is not the issue. The Camaro's lap time is. Very impressive from GM, Camaro kicks GT-R and Turbo S's butt on the race track. Who would have thought that would ever happen. ZR1, Z06/Z07 and Viper have all posted better lap times at Laguna Seca than the GT-R in MT's testing, so we will see next year how the Z28 does there, as well as the Nismo and new GT3. Not that I would ever buy a Z28, but GM has obviously done a stellar job of engineering the package.

And like the article says, GT-R does make a lot of noise. Everytime my wife gets in mine, she calls it "clunky". One of the reasons I'm picking up a new Vette, hoping it's a smoother, more pleasant around town-driving car. I love my GT-R on track, but about town, not so much after 5 years now.

SubDriver

SubDriver

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 628 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationPeriscope Depth

Got to give credit to the Camaro on this one.  I know that just because it won on this circuit doesnt mean it will win on every circuit, however it did pull out a win with less hp, rwd, and a manual.  If the Camaro can do this, the new Z06 will just pour a bucket of salt in the wound.  Hopefully we get some glimpse of the R36 sometime soon. 

• 7racer likes this

0f748c1d-0658-4436-b162-e5208cff7dd6_zps

bdl99

bdl99

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 30-December 12

At least with this article they made excuses on not being able to set a good time on the GTR. However bad the excuse is I would prefer that to artificially creating a result they wanted.

The Randy Pobst one is worse for me because whether intentional or subconscious, it is clear he doesn't want the GTR to win. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it is subconscious (pushing the Z/28 harder than the GTR) , because I hate to see when drivers sell out like that.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
what about the tires? they seem stickier. .. if the gtr had stickier rubber it would hang.

SubDriver

SubDriver

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 628 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationPeriscope Depth

what about the tires? they seem stickier. .. if the gtr had stickier rubber it would hang.

Right, but the point is these cars are stock.  I dont think it really matters because very few people that want a GT-R will cross shop a Camaro, let alone one with one speaker, no AC, etc.

0f748c1d-0658-4436-b162-e5208cff7dd6_zps

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,126 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
Let the bench racing begin....
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
ill say one thing... gtr should have by now made the nismo like the porsche gt3 where it can lap and lap and lap.

nismo/jrm have already modified the engine in the gt3 spec gtr for the lowest rebuild engine in the series this year... but its internals are a bit different for example i beam rods.

the other issues is nissan wont admit the trans cant take continuous laps in a row... so they wont put a trans cooler or upgraded oil cooler etc. and not to mention brakes just heat like crazy cause of the weight of thr car. again only downside to nissans thought process is continuous balls out laps are out of the question... but a porsche gt3 will lap and lap and lap and lap some more.
  • HiBoost and Forum ninja 2 like this

FreakofNature

FreakofNature

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 21-October 13
  • LocationMerika

ill say one thing... gtr should have by now made the nismo like the porsche gt3 where it can lap and lap and lap.

nismo/jrm have already modified the engine in the gt3 spec gtr for the lowest rebuild engine in the series this year... but its internals are a bit different for example i beam rods.

the other issues is nissan wont admit the trans cant take continuous laps in a row... so they wont put a trans cooler or upgraded oil cooler etc. and not to mention brakes just heat like crazy cause of the weight of thr car. again only downside to nissans thought process is continuous balls out laps are out of the question... but a porsche gt3 will lap and lap and lap and lap some mor

Nissan's flagship supercar is flawed, hush your mouth child....lol  Anyway, It's probably a bean counter at Nissan for all we know but for a Nismo version of the car where they can charge a premium for a better track car one would think they would add the coolers to help standardize lap times.  It just makes the GTR seem more of a sprinter rather than a long distance runner. :shrug:

Steven

2013 GTR Black

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,911 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOzarks

Bean counters should be left out in the hallway for cars that cost $150k :)  

IMO at the very least the GTR should definitely have standard carbon brakes at this point, no excuse for that.  One, for the braking, two, to shave some weight off its fat ass.

• 7racer and Forum ninja 2 like this
-Jeff

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

does anyone know what the Z28 weighs?

did they do Nissan's trick with mechanical grip but trump in brakes and tires?

Will it have the same problems with continuous laps with oil temps/brakes/tire wear?

In7anity!!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
btw randy loves the gtr, and knows exactly how to drive it hard, and he has given honest feedback. .. he wants it to win, but givin the fun they all had in the camero... you really cant argue. gtr cant always win and nissan has done very little to make big.changes like gm has with the z28 to make a big dif.

div

div

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 155 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13

does anyone know what the Z28 weighs?

did they do Nissan's trick with mechanical grip but trump in brakes and tires?

Will it have the same problems with continuous laps with oil temps/brakes/tire wear?

Same as GT-R more or less: 3862lbs

http://media.carandd...plete-specs.pdf

bdl99

bdl99

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 30-December 12

btw randy loves the gtr, and knows exactly how to drive it hard, and he has given honest feedback. .. he wants it to win, but givin the fun they all had in the camero... you really cant argue. gtr cant always win and nissan has done very little to make big.changes like gm has with the z28 to make a big dif.

You really think he wanted the GTR to win? I guess we can agree to differ on that. He knows how to drive for sure, but this is marketing 101: Saying lots of good things about the car you are beating only makes the case for the Z28 even stronger: The GTR is great and xyz beats it... 

I still think if you put a driver of equal skill in the GTR and Randy in z28 the GTR would win. Then Randy would have to either say the GTR was actually faster (not necessary better or more fun), or the other driver was better. Of course in a true race, the GTR would almost certainly get to the first corner first (and even with their time differences) it would be game over.

I agree the R35 is getting old and the others are catching up, and I'm no fan boy (For the record, if I had the money I would be in a McLaren tomorrow.) but these review are all so biased. 

I do wish they hadn't bothered with the track package, because I doubt it would make much if any difference to the results and just make the price difference gap bigger. 

Finally I'm not sure it is a case of GM making big changes and Nissan not, as much as it is about life cycle. The R35 is coming to the ends of its life and comparing to cars that have just been released is always going to show the gaps we are seeing.

I think what we can agree on is that the GTR isn't miles ahead like it was when it was first released.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
look at all randys past r35 commentary.

everyones catching up now, agreed.

im guessing the r36 will be hybrid in r35 chassis with new trans/awd. makes sense being that it has not been in development long and the r35 is already a benchmark, why change the chassis.

bdl99

bdl99

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 30-December 12

So what about this one 

http://www.motortren...t_r_comparison/

Better that the 911 Turbo S as well, especially if you give them a second try to play with tire pressures and let the conditions improve!.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camaro, gtr, comparison, yahoo autos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users