Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Car bogging down or misfiring when getting into boost

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13

Today I was driving my car and it was running great and pulling hard, but then all of a sudden when getting into boost it was bogging down or maybe misfiring. It is an FBO car running E85 with 26k miles on it. I don't think the plugs have ever been changed. Didn't throw any cel lights and runs fine at idle and when driving unless in boost. Anything else I should look at before changing the plugs? Thanks!

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13

I just hammer on it in first gear and go through the gears its smooth as ever. If I hammer on it in a lower gear with the rpms low thats when it seems to stutter or bog down.  Got the service engine soon light once and it said misfire cylinder 2 when I pulled the code.

Ian201

Ian201

Stage 1 Member

• 146 posts
  • Joined 28-September 14
  • LocationStenungsund Sweden

So a P0302 my bet is that it is a plug

Edited by Ian201, 03 October 2021 - 12:20 PM.

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
Thanks... I just ordered plugs

Ian201

Ian201

Stage 1 Member

• 146 posts
  • Joined 28-September 14

There is always a small chance that it can be a coil. If you want you could always switch coils on cyl 4 and cyl 2 and see if the misfire moves, it`s one way of checking. As you`re removing them anyway no more work involved.

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
Yeah that is a good idea.

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
I just don't want to have to take the intake manifold off again if it is a coil pack.

Ian201

Ian201

Stage 1 Member

• 146 posts
  • Joined 28-September 14

Yeah i understand that but it`s the only way of isolating the coil if it is indeed the problem. My guess is  still the plug but obviously i can`t be 100% sure.

It`s an hours work to remove and install the manifold so it`s not that bad, that`s if you do it yourself and you have a garage where you can work you don`t even have to replace the gasket so no cost involved.

If your plugs were changed more than about 2-3 years ago and you run corn i still say plug.

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
I don't think they have ever been changed and been running corn for a long time. Hopefully the plugs clear it up. I was thinking it was probably due anyway. Thanks bro!
  • Ian201 likes this

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
Changed the plugs and everything seems good now. How often should someone change plugs on a FBO car? Thanks!
  • Tim and Ian201 like this

Ian201

Ian201

Stage 1 Member

• 146 posts
  • Joined 28-September 14

Good to hear it`s up and running again.

After every second year you need to change the plugs with normal driving/mileage.

Edited by Ian201, 21 October 2021 - 11:40 PM.

• Tim likes this

krue92

krue92

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
Thanks Ian!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users