Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alpha 14x

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

tg07

tg07

Stage 2.5 Member

• 299 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin

You will need drag radials at a minimum to put that power down on the street. Once you do that, you can throw out the window the amazing handling qualities this car has. Something to think about if handling is up there on your priority list.

Good point that I wasn’t really considering. I planned on running 20” MPSS for the street.
  • Tim and socalaviator like this

Alpha 7

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,084 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
Better go with Motec then - even with R888 you’ll be stuck on your wastegate map and even then probably ice skates up top.
  • socalaviator likes this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

tg07

tg07

Stage 2.5 Member

• 299 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin
Well you guys aren’t helping to sell me on this build. Lol

I’m open to a different wheel/tire setup. Or maybe I go back to the original plan of an Omega 12 setup. Less power, but would be a great street setup.

Alpha 7

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,084 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
Lol I know right, it sucks with all the variables.

Believe it or not you get used to it pretty quick. I take the GTR out when I just wanna chill and cruise and middle lane it going 55-65 lol - it’s really trolling. I’ll take the Honda out if I feel like high speed turns.

I’d seriously call Jan and have a chat. Think he runs R888 on the street from time to time and he’s got a shit ton more power than me and can give you the pluses and minuses ;)

Edited by droptopp, 12 December 2020 - 02:25 PM.

• thehelix112 likes this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

PurEvl

PurEvl

Stock

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 14-March 18

I’m open to a different wheel/tire setup. Or maybe I go back to the original plan of an Omega 12 setup. Less power, but would be a great street setup.

Go huracan :)
  • thehelix112 likes this

tg07

tg07

Stage 2.5 Member

• 299 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin

Go huracan :)

On the radar, but I need to add onto the garage first.
  • thehelix112 and PurEvl like this

Alpha 7

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 528 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

POPULAR

If you want to win street races and $ is involved go BIG turbo + Motec + slicks.

If you want a really FUN street car get a stock manifold modern set up with sticky street tire options. We live in a world with a platform where HP has reached a point that MORE HP does not necessarily mean MORE FUN. You’d be amazed at how much fun fast spool can be on the streets even if that means giving up a couple hundred horsepower. Latest iteration of Garrett turbos has narrowed the gap of spool vs horsepower. Looking back I wish I would have chosen an even quicker spooling turbo myself.

I have an HKS GT1000 build and I rarely find myself using the full power. I’m literally at the limits of R888R tires and beyond their limits during the winter when the ground is a bit cooler and lower DA. How fast do you really want to go on the streets? Most quick spooling turbos will outperform the bigger turbos below 100mph on city streets from my experience.
  • Tim, thehelix112, droptopp and 2 others like this
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build. 1100+WHP

Hylndr

Hylndr

Stock

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 28-October 17
Let me jump back in here guys. I don’t Think I’ll sleep as well unless I do the crank. I reached out to my builder to let him know I was going to toss in the money for a 4.1 L billet crank but surprisingly he recommended I stay with a 3.8 setup Even if I was replacing the stock crank with a billet one. He said He prefers the 3.8 as it causes less angular wear and other related issues. Damn thought I had it all straight and decided but now I’m deciding between 3.8 or 4.1, thoughts? Also, is the drag pack worth the extra $3k on the Shep1k? I’m going to be doing most of my racing on the street (I never said that), is it still a good idea?

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,084 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
Hey Man,

The 4.1 isn’t really needed these days with how fast the new turbos spool. Will you gain some rpm on the street with a 4.1, sure you will, but you can always downshift too. Now that I said that, the 4.1 spools so damn fast on the street I love it lol.

I’d chat with your builder and go with whatever will give you the most longevity. At the end of the day that’s all that really matters.

If you think about the extra $3k over the cost of the trans build or the entire build, or worse the cost of not having it and then having an issue down the road, it’s kind of cheap insurance.

Give John a call or send him an email and tell him what you are going to do and he’ll tell ya what you need. If he says, gives you some added strength, then it’s a nice brainer.

Good luck brother - I remember these days lol. Go to bed with your mind made up on the build and wake up and change it hahah.
  • thehelix112 likes this

Hylndr

Hylndr

Stock

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 28-October 17
Thanks dude, and you’re right about that, every decision I’ve waffled on at least once! I’m taking my builders advice and sticking with 3.8, I need it to last long as possible. Thanks for the scoop.
  • thehelix112 likes this

tg07

tg07

Stage 2.5 Member

• 299 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin

Good luck brother - I remember these days lol. Go to bed with your mind made up on the build and wake up and change it hahah.

That's exactly where I'm at.  I've gone back and forth so many times...The car is plenty fast as-is, but it could be even more fun.

Edited by tg07, 21 December 2020 - 09:24 AM.

• thehelix112 and droptopp like this

Alpha 7

Hylndr

Hylndr

Stock

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 28-October 17
15X Build updates: 3.8 not 4.1 but higher compression pistons (need this builds to last and problem free as possible) billet crank for peace of mind, stage 2 head porting, SBD intercooler, added fuel rail so I can keep current 1300 injectors, drag pack for the Shep1 as discussed.
Here’s what I need help with as I don’t know a damn thing about wheels tires and offsets. I have a 2014 track edition and going with Volk te37 18” wheels with MT street radials. What do I ask for on front and back to not have issues with clearing calipers and no tire rubbing front or back? What width, (9.5 or 10 on front?) (10.5 or 11 back?) and what offsets? Treat me like an idiot please cause I really don’t know much about this subject. My wife is going to come for a visit from Tokyo in feb (married to a jp woman and we live in both countries) so I’m going to see if she can pick them up and bring them with her since I’m not back to jp till March.

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,084 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
RAYS VOLK Racing TE37 Saga (Forged Monoblock)
Front Spec: 18×10.0 +35mm 5×114.3 (Face 4)
Rear Spec: 18×12.0 +26mm 5×114.3 (Face 5)

Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S 275/45 and 345/35 - both 27.8 rolling circumference

They change the characteristics of handling coming from a 20” and if you have grooves on your roads from tractor trailers keep a hand on the wheel ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users