Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Suggestions for PADS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 139 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

Hello! i'm eyeing my pads on my stock 16 Nismo and also, HATING the constant brake dust..............

I know you dont get something for nothing but........are there replacement brake pads that stop well without all the dust with stock rotors?

Thanks in advance........

• Ian201 likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Hello! i'm eyeing my pads on my stock 16 Nismo and also, HATING the constant brake dust..............

I know you dont get something for nothing but........are there replacement brake pads that stop well without all the dust with stock rotors?

Thanks in advance........

No.  There are low dust pads sold by vendors on here, especially the ceramics, but they do not stop as well as the stock pads.  they aren't BAD, per se, but they are competing with a pretty damn good pad.

Shawn

• destroid and thehelix112 like this

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 139 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

No.  There are low dust pads sold by vendors on here, especially the ceramics, but they do not stop as well as the stock pads.  they aren't BAD, per se, but they are competing with a pretty damn good pad.

Shawn

Thanks. Thought so.

Shawn, at how many mm would you recommend replacement.

Edited by Geno88, 04 August 2020 - 06:48 AM.

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13
  • Location"Live Free Or Die"

Carbotech or G-LOC have a very good stopping power to dust ratio. 

The XP10s I ran have comparable dust to OEM pads and vastly better temp handling and feel on track. 

2013 GT-R Pearl White Black Edition

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Thanks. Thought so.

Shawn, at how many mm would you recommend replacement.

Most pads have a built in "split" that tells you when (when the split is gone)  Otherwise, it depends.  If it's a total street car, you can replace at 1-2mm.  If it's tracked, that's just too low (coming from a guy that has run them down to the backing plates too often).

destroid is right, the pads he listed have good dust and stop considerations.  But, if you want hard STOP, hard STOP=dust.

Shawn

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 139 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

thanks my people.

1) can i use the XP10's with stock rotors?

2) do they stop better than stock pads?

3) what's the typical pricing vs stock

Edited by Geno88, 07 August 2020 - 01:02 PM.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA

1) yes

2) yes, but you'll destroy the rotors in a track day or two

3) they're not that expensive

My recommendation would be not to do this, instead to get to something like the AP-Racing J-hooks or the Alcon rotors.  If you try to use the stock rotors you'll be doing that upgrade anyway 1 track day later.

Dave

• droptopp likes this

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 139 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

1) yes

My recommendation would be not to do this, instead to get to something like the AP-Racing J-hooks or the Alcon rotors.  If you try to use the stock rotors you'll be doing that upgrade anyway 1 track day later.

Dave

cheers Dave.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

1) yes

Dave

cheers Dave.

Agree with the above.  The stock rotors on the GT-R (especially the CBA) are absolute shit when combined with a full track pad on the track.  The DBA's were better.

Got pics to prove it, of course.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13
  • Location"Live Free Or Die"

Never had a chance to test the DBA rotors. AP J-hooks held up amazingly well and went on the car after breakin at 1000 miles. 

Buy once, cry once - just call up Essex and get some. 

• thehelix112 likes this
2013 GT-R Pearl White Black Edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users