Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nismo Steering Wheel

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 121 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

Hey gurus, was replacing the steering wheel on my Nismo and my friend said this part was not found on his T.E.

Even the core on the new steering wheel had to be threaded for the screws that hold this part on.

What is this part and what does it do? There are no wires, or sensors next to it. We're thinking it's a weight? but the

weight is towards the upper center of the wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

• 61247264627__46ACD88F-0119-4435-9CED-82D2EB27B6AF.JPG
  • 61247288515__51A8CF60-4483-4A81-A5B7-84F60CD60A6F.JPG
  • IMG_2246.jpg

• Tim and sam2avila like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,769 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

i'd think either a weight or magnet? googling "920a steering wheel nissan" shows it's a common piece in their steering wheels. i don't remember seeing that either when i swapped my wheel out.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

i'd think either a weight or magnet? googling "920a steering wheel nissan" shows it's a common piece in their steering wheels. i don't remember seeing that either when i swapped my wheel out.

I can't find it in any other GT-R steering wheel pictorial or reference.  Although the mounting holes ARE there. It is ubiquitous to many other Nissan's as you point out.

Looks like either a resistor or capacitor to me.  Maybe an anti-static feature?

Shawn

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18
Vibration damper.
  • 7racer and shawnhayes like this

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 121 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

thanks my people. I have no idea, but I definitely insisted on this OEM part to be put back on. It's gotta do something or else it wouldn't be on the Nismo models.

Does anyone know If I should replace the alcantara on the OEM wheel or just leave it alone? It's gotten worn out on the left side at about 9-10 o clock position, it's obvious i'm a left handed dominant driver. :P

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Vibration damper.

How it work?

Why on some models and not others?  Or more importantly, why do all models have the mounting holes and they are not used on some and used on others?

Just asking - Since I didn't know and always trying to learn.

Shawn

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 121 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

hey people, to this day, I still have no idea what this part does.

matter of fact, a very knowledgeable Nissan Parts person has no idea what this is!

Have I found the hidden, secretive, elusive part??

Modern day twilight zone.........

• droptopp likes this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,995 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Interesting looks like it’s a damper as mentioned above.

I see some other vehicles use it to negate vibration frequency in certain Hz ranges.

Why one would have it and another wouldn’t, maybe that’s in the final shakedown ?

If you remove it do you get any wheel shake at certain rpm or road conditions ?
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Geno88

Geno88

Stage 1 Member

• 121 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

Interesting looks like it’s a damper as mentioned above.

I see some other vehicles use it to negate vibration frequency in certain Hz ranges.

Why one would have it and another wouldn’t, maybe that’s in the final shakedown ?

If you remove it do you get any wheel shake at certain rpm or road conditions ?

didn't even try it without. I figure if it were there to begin with, who am I to not use it.........(no sarcasm)

• Tim and droptopp like this

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18

How it work?

Adding weight would change the natural harmonic frequency of the wheel, vibration and such.

Why on some models and not others?  

May be something about the nismo causes more NVH through the steering wheel?

Or more importantly, why do all models have the mounting holes and they are not used on some and used on others?

May be they anticipate the possibility of needing this so they always have a provision for it in the steering wheel casting?

Just asking - Since I didn't know and always trying to learn.

I'm just guessing.  But adding a weight will definitely change the "vibration" of the overall piece.    Or, maybe it's a counterweight to change the feel of the steering wheel?  It is off center after all.  Be neat to do a back to back comparison on same road with it off and on the same car.

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users