Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Whatever happened to awdtt's car? Find out here.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14
If you followed my build thread up until about July 2018, you'd know that I grenaded my transmission after putting in "upgraded" clutches that turned out NOT to be upgraded according to Mr. Shep. That prompted a Stage 2.5 trans rebuild which took about 3 months. The trans was returned but never put in the car.

The block had suffered a cylinder score so I ordered a replacement and Adkin Industries, the shop I was using, recommended an engine builder called TEC in West Palm Beach. The lead time was 3 weeks before he could start work. 6 months later, I went and pulled the block and heads, etc., out of that shop. It hadn't been touched. Avoid TEC.

I then talked to Fabshop Miami. They did not want to work on the motor because the heads hadn't been tested and approved by Boost Logic. Boost Logic would only sell me their short block, so I'm stuck with an identical short block.

So, I bought an entire built long block from Boost Logic and had it shipped to Fabshop. Fabshop then let me know they needed the engine covers and assorted other parts. In a personal meeting on 2/7 attended by my son and the owner of Adkin Industries, I stressed that getting the engine parts down to Fabshop was the #1 priority. We also needed to deal with a trailer door that had some wood rot. The owner assured us he'd jump right on it. See the text he sent my son on the 28th stating the car *should* be done by the following week (would have been the week of 3/1-3/5).

We followed up Monday March 8th and couldn't get a response. Yesterday morning after I threatened that I'd give less than a stellar review of their business, they tried to claim that they are "stuck waiting for everyone else to tell me what they want to do." That's total BS as it's patently obvious that they *knew* what needed to be done in the text of the 28th.

Last night we got a text telling us that they're trying to "squeeze" us in and that it's really hard, womp, womp. All other messages have been ignored. Messages like, "Is the transmission back in the car?", shouldn't be too complicated to answer. We've physically gone to the shop and it's always closed. The owner is avoiding us.

We now have to get a tow truck and arrange to get the car and all of the loose parts out of the shop.
  • Enshiu, 7racer, thehelix112 and 1 other like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,559 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Sorry to hear the woes man. Good luck getting your build back on track.

Dave

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,064 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
Damn brother - sounds like my situation less the multiple motor builds in between.

I’d just have Cicio pick it up and get it back together.

Downtime sucks and makes you question every minute of time spent and every dollar put into it.

Problem is it’s busy season again.

Good luck !!!
  • thehelix112 and Dan_585 like this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,703 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

That is really rough. 6 months for nothing is unbelievable. Best of wishes to get your car done right.

• Enshiu likes this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

POPULAR

Update. Fabshop is doing the car. I have no doubts it'll be done - and done right.
  • Tim, Enshiu, 7racer and 3 others like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
With over a decade of known commodities in the GTR world... what made you go with an unknown with zero credibility in the first place?
  • Enshiu and thehelix112 like this

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner / MoTec Calibrator
-Mainline Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 21B Ozick Dr, Durham, CT   West Coast Location 16726 146th St SE, Monroe, WA

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,186 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Sorry to hear this my good fellow.

You are in my thoughts.

Love ya.

Shawn

archan

archan

Stock

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 13-May 19
Feel for you. Hope Fabshop delivers where Adkin failed.
  • Tim and Enshiu like this

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 372 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

Sorry to hear this, If I was there I did ship all of the parts to me and then forward where its needed. This is because last few years people are ignorant saying, I didnt received the package while they clearly signed for it.

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

It's been a while since I posted.  Car is still not done but I am. I'm just going to sell it as-is on auction.

Fabshop has the car and isn't working on it. 

Just curious....has anyone else gotten any work out of that shop?

• Tim, Enshiu and Dan_585 like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,064 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
Damn, really sorry to hear.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Fabshopmiami

Fabshopmiami

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

Well let me explain. We ARE in a pandemic. Parts have taken longer than usual.  Everything has slowed down for me. I told you that I couldn't work as fast as I could cause several reasons.

MAIN reason is, my Mom is very sick. She went from 140lb to 72lb. My Dad is home all day taking care of her. I'm suppling them with all their needs. Food, supplies. We are afraid if he gets sick with COVID and give it to my mom. She could have a huge issue if she gets sick at this stage of her life. 

My son Bryan has virtual school Monday thru Friday, his break is at 11AM, we then rush to the shop so I can do as much as I can. He continues virtual at the shop until 3:00PM 

Most may not know BUT I also take care of my son full time! So I have to take care of him also.

Now that we are here like little girls, arguing in public. I would like you to know. your long block is done!!!! Come get your car, long block and several vins of parts you brought and do what you need to do.

I have many years in this community, with nothing but great work and feedback. I help anyone, anywhere.I love what I do more than the money. But your nasty post takes my love away. So simple!

• Enshiu and thehelix112 like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,879 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

It's been a while since I posted.  Car is still not done but I am. I'm just going to sell it as-is on auction.

Fabshop has the car and isn't working on it. 

Just curious....has anyone else gotten any work out of that shop?

Doug has worked on my car on a couple occasions..always happy with them

• Dan_585 likes this

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,703 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

Personally i wouldn't consider OP's posts nasty. (I've seen much worse with other shops) Understandably frustrated with a 15k mile car that is still not done after two shops, a year of downtime, and thousands spent. Being in a similar situation I really understand where he's coming from. IT sucks, you reach a point where a running car is better than sitting on the sidelines all season hopping from shop to shop. Makes some want to sell outright to cut losses/frustration. 

There are two sides to every story of course. IMO sounds like if calls/emails were returned there would be no need to post IMO - The customer wouldn't be on 'edge' - relationship maintained - peace of mind while the car is under the knife. Now this doesn't mean call every day for an update - at the end of the week I believe it's professional courtesy in this industry to give an update even if it's a short email. Being in the dark with a $$$$$$ project is terrifying from a customer perspective. 

I understand times have changed and we have to put our loved ones first. I don't disagree. Wish you both the best and hope ya'll work out an amicable solution where both parties are happy. 

• Tim, Enshiu and thehelix112 like this

Fabshopmiami

Fabshopmiami

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 18-December 12

Personally i wouldn't consider OP's posts nasty. (I've seen much worse with other shops) Understandably frustrated with a 15k mile car that is still not done after two shops, a year of downtime, and thousands spent. Being in a similar situation I really understand where he's coming from. IT sucks, you reach a point where a running car is better than sitting on the sidelines all season hopping from shop to shop. Makes some want to sell outright to cut losses/frustration.

There are two sides to every story of course. IMO sounds like if calls/emails were returned there would be no need to post IMO - The customer wouldn't be on 'edge' - relationship maintained - peace of mind while the car is under the knife. Now this doesn't mean call every day for an update - at the end of the week I believe it's professional courtesy in this industry to give an update even if it's a short email. Being in the dark with a $$$$$$ project is terrifying from a customer perspective.

I understand times have changed and we have to put our loved ones first. I don't disagree. Wish you both the best and hope ya'll work out an amicable solution where both parties are happy.

I want this to be clear. IM NOT THE SHOP in which this post was created on!!! I’m the shop that’s trying to get him going. But not fast enough because diff problems we all face!
  • Tim likes this

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18

Well let me explain. We ARE in a pandemic. Parts have taken longer than usual. Everything has slowed down for me. I told you that I couldn't work as fast as I could cause several reasons.

MAIN reason is, my Mom is very sick. She went from 140lb to 72lb. My Dad is home all day taking care of her. I'm suppling them with all their needs. Food, supplies. We are afraid if he gets sick with COVID and give it to my mom. She could have a huge issue if she gets sick at this stage of her life.

My son Bryan has virtual school Monday thru Friday, his break is at 11AM, we then rush to the shop so I can do as much as I can. He continues virtual at the shop until 3:00PM

Most may not know BUT I also take care of my son full time! So I have to take care of him also.

Now that we are here like little girls, arguing in public. I would like you to know. your long block is done!!!! Come get your car, long block and several vins of parts you brought and do what you need to do.

I have many years in this community, with nothing but great work and feedback. I help anyone, anywhere.I love what I do more than the money. But your nasty post takes my love away. So simple!

So sorry to hear. I’m a self employed machinist fabricator with 12 and 6 year old boys that I raise mostly on my own, and them being out of school for the most part since March has definitely crippled my ability to get work done. I feel for you. Thankfully I don’t have to take care of my parents as well. Wish you the best.
  • Tim, droptopp and Ian201 like this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

I'm really sorry about your mom.  We all understand the seriousness of this pandemic however, a quick call/text/email to inform me that the block was done would have been a better way.  As it was, we shipped you that long block last fall and you didn't get to ordering things like oil pump until August 2020.  I would have kept quiet except that I kept seeing more cars coming out of your shop on your Facebook group.

• gc1000 likes this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,102 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Dan's absolutely right. There is zero communication, so I was forced to get a response through this forum. It's not like nobody can get ahold of me.

I would have made any financial arrangement the shop needed to get this car running -- I supported the local businesses in FL rather than ship my car out. That was probably my main mistake.

And now we will see how this plays out since the shop is now saying "Come and get your car."

• Tim, Enshiu, 7racer and 1 other like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,186 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I'm very very sorry to see this.

It's this kind of shit that made me leave the GT-R world, I'm afraid.  The GT-R is such an awesome car, but there's too much come and go and difficult to get done work.

Sorry for you.  Sorry for the shop as well.  Nobody wins here.

Shawn

• Tim and Enshiu like this

PurEvl

PurEvl

Stock

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 14-March 18
This seem like special situation for Fab Shop but should of been mentioned at the beginning if they were not. Sure we are in a pandemic and people go through stuff all the time but life does not stop for the majority of people.

If it was mentioned then that's on awdtt being impatient and if you didn't then that's on you Fab Shop and you shouldn't of taken the job expecting awdtt to go at whatever timeline you wanted.
  • Enshiu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users