Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Crappy Sound System

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Geno88

Geno88

Stock

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

Believe it or not, I've NEVER cranked the sound system on my Nismo. 

I'm listening to Pandora, Iheart radio, etc.........all within low limits to hear the mechanics on my car. 

The other day, I left the studio in a hurry and as I'm listening to the mix I did in the studio, I had to really turn up

the volume and YUCK. It's terrible. Quickly thinking it's the mix, I listened to the radio and same thing, SUCKS. Pandora, Iheart, same shit, just rancid sounds. 

Is there a quick fix to get a better sound without going crazy? I'm not gonna be cranking the stereo loud in the GTR so i'm not gonna invest in a sound system. Just looking for some quick cures................

• thehelix112 likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,758 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

I can’t even hear my radio and if I have to take a call..just pull over and turn car off

• ghostrider and Ian201 like this

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,910 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

Adding a multichannel amp to the remaining factory gear did wonders for my system.  If you really lean on it you'll eventually blow the factory speakers, but with good clean power they can usually tolerate quite a bit.  That's where I'd start, it'll probably be all you need.  And if you decide to upgrade the speakers later you'll need to have done the amp anyway.  But new speakers with the existing amp is a complete waste of time.

Also, and I'm sure you know this if you do studio work, but most streaming audio (pandora, etc) is pretty bad by any type of hi-fi standards.  And in fact, it usually sounds worse the better the playback system is.  The crap stock stereos in most vehicles have actually had a lot of engineering put into them to make "almost anything" sound "almost good".  But as soon as you start building your own system you get into the "A and B sound amazing but C sounds like dog piss" scenarios and spend half your life redoing EQ profiles.  That said, here again the amp-only approach bypasses most of that because you are still benefiting from the factory tuning built into the drivers and head unit.

This post has a few details on how I added my amp, which may or may not be useful.  http://www.gtrherita...ge-3#entry23800

• Tim, 7racer, droptopp and 1 other like this
-Jeff

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 504 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Couldn't of said it better myself. If you stream music and/or use BT streaming save yourself the $. If you listen via CDs then you will notice a big difference. Also, the sound of the exhaust will "ruin" much of the great sound you may gain with the aftermarket system anyways.

Personally, I just threw in a single JL 12" with a sealed box and called it a day. Just my opinion but my brother who is an Audio Engineer agrees with my logic. Haha
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build. 1100+WHP

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,380 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Holy shit guys HiBoost is back! Good to see you brother.
  • Tim and HiBoost like this

Geno88

Geno88

Stock

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

I can’t even hear my radio and if I have to take a call..just pull over and turn car off

LOL! i know what you're saying, but my GTR is tame compared to yours. 

Adding a multichannel amp to the remaining factory gear did wonders for my system.  If you really lean on it you'll eventually blow the factory speakers, but with good clean power they can usually tolerate quite a bit.  That's where I'd start, it'll probably be all you need.  And if you decide to upgrade the speakers later you'll need to have done the amp anyway.  But new speakers with the existing amp is a complete waste of time.

Also, and I'm sure you know this if you do studio work, but most streaming audio (pandora, etc) is pretty bad by any type of hi-fi standards.  And in fact, it usually sounds worse the better the playback system is.  The crap stock stereos in most vehicles have actually had a lot of engineering put into them to make "almost anything" sound "almost good".  But as soon as you start building your own system you get into the "A and B sound amazing but C sounds like dog piss" scenarios and spend half your life redoing EQ profiles.  That said, here again the amp-only approach bypasses most of that because you are still benefiting from the factory tuning built into the drivers and head unit.

This post has a few details on how I added my amp, which may or may not be useful.  http://www.gtrherita...ge-3#entry23800

I hear you! maybe i'm just Bitching out loud cuz I needed a last minute analysis. 

Couldn't of said it better myself. If you stream music and/or use BT streaming save yourself the $. If you listen via CDs then you will notice a big difference. Also, the sound of the exhaust will "ruin" much of the great sound you may gain with the aftermarket system anyways.

Personally, I just threw in a single JL 12" with a sealed box and called it a day. Just my opinion but my brother who is an Audio Engineer agrees with my logic. Haha

cheers!

thanks people!

• Tim and droptopp like this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,874 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14

I hear you! maybe i'm just Bitching out loud cuz I needed a last minute analysis.

cheers!

thanks people!

TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,745 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

not a quick fix, but adding sound proofing (dynamat, hushmat, or the likes) made a huge difference for me. bass is way deeper and blocks out a lot of road noise. 

• Tim likes this

Geno88

Geno88

Stock

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

not a quick fix, but adding sound proofing (dynamat, hushmat, or the likes) made a huge difference for me. bass is way deeper and blocks out a lot of road noise. 

Thank you, but when I'm so focused on hearing a final mix, the car is not on, its not moving and i'm dead locked into the mix. there are no other variables involved. 

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

It is not the worst sound system I have had, BMW wins that one. The car is so loud I do not think anything could make it sound better.

• 7racer likes this

2016 Premium Gun Metallic with Cobb Stage 3; Cobb Catted Downpipes, Cobb Y-Pipe, NISMO Ti Exhaust, Cobb 3" CF Intakes, ID1050X Injectors, Cobb CAN Gateway with E85 and AMS Intercooler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users