Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Diy alignment gear

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,368 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Hey guys,

What are the track rats using for diy alignments? I need something I can do at home and also at the track preferably.

Thanks!

Dave
  • 7racer, Jon H and elf_cruiser like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,046 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
DIY alignments are super easy man. Here are the only 2 things you need, along with a healthy bit of patience to get it just right!

https://www.summitra...arts/lng-79501/

https://www.summitra...parts/tnh-1100/

Of course there are plenty of options, this is just what I use :)
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and Jon H like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,368 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Excellent Wes. Thank you! I'm glad when shit isn't insanely expensive.

Any tips to keeping the wheel centred while adjusting toe? I've seen funky things that hold the wheel in place, or can you just wiggle the wheel without the car on and have the column lock like older ones used to?

Dave
  • elf_cruiser likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,046 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Excellent Wes. Thank you! I'm glad when shit isn't insanely expensive.

Any tips to keeping the wheel centred while adjusting toe? I've seen funky things that hold the wheel in place, or can you just wiggle the wheel without the car on and have the column lock like older ones used to?

Dave

Agreed. Less $ on tools means more $ for fresh tires!

As for the steering wheel - I don’t have any shortcuts for that. You’ll have to set the toe and then drive the car a bit to see where the steering wheel is at. Then come home and adjust both sides until the wheel is straight. I think that’s where the strings and jackstands come into play, in order to get the “thrust angle” straight with the chassis. TBH I have never cared much if the steering wheel is off a bit. We are changing the alignment every few weeks anyways and it’s just too much of a hassle. I should start using strings I guess...

The good news is that you can easily adjust toe without lifting the car or removing the wheels. The steering arms are easy to reach if you lay down on the ground.
  • thehelix112 likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,368 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Agreed. Less $ on tools means more $ for fresh tires!

As for the steering wheel - I don’t have any shortcuts for that. You’ll have to set the toe and then drive the car a bit to see where the steering wheel is at. Then come home and adjust both sides until the wheel is straight. I think that’s where the strings and jackstands come into play, in order to get the “thrust angle” straight with the chassis. TBH I have never cared much if the steering wheel is off a bit. We are changing the alignment every few weeks anyways and it’s just too much of a hassle. I should start using strings I guess...

The good news is that you can easily adjust toe without lifting the car or removing the wheels. The steering arms are easy to reach if you lay down on the ground.

Excellent. That is good news. I was hoping as much but have never adjusted her myself. Time to learn!

Thanks for all the pointers man.

Dave
  • elf_cruiser likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,813 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Wes,  could you do a write up!???

• Johnnypbmx likes this

In7anity!!

Indy

Indy

Stock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 14-September 18

This is what I use.

lng-79505    The deluxe plates are nice.  They stay on the tire/wheel very well

lng-78290    I love this camber gauge.  The magnet fits and stays perfect on the rear of my car with my drag wheels on which makes it real nice when making adjustments.

• thehelix112 likes this

2009 Solid Red FBO Flex Fuel, Shep Stage 4 Trans, Motec Tuned and Supported by TOP SPEED MOTORSPORTS, Titek 4" Exhaust, Omega Brushless Fuel Pump, ID 1300 Injectors, CF Intakes, Race FMIC & Piping, Tial BOV's, 2012 Turbo Inlets, SPL Camber and Toe Links, SPL Upper Control Arms, Boost Logic Rear Drag Brake Kit, WP Pro Front Drag Brake Kit, 17" Rear Drag Wheels with MT 305/45R17 ET Street R Tires, Enkei PF01 18" Front Wheels with MT 275/45R18 ET Street SS Tires.

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14

Wes, could you do a write up!???

Hate to pile on/ create more work but i agree!
  • thehelix112 likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,046 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Wes, could you do a write up!???

Sure thing! It’s honestly so simple that it would just be a few pics and quick instructions. The main thing is just patience when doing the camber because you need to RnR the wheel over and over again and lift/lower the car over and over until it’s where you want it.

I’ll snap some pics next time I do it...
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and Johnnypbmx like this

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stage 1 Member

• 121 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17
  • LocationEast Valley, Phoenix

great info WES.....

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,368 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Ordered the bits. I went with elf's setup so I have a better chance of bugging someone for explicit n00b halps later.

Dave
  • 7racer and Johnnypbmx like this

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 947 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

You need this to keep the steering wheel straight while doing a DIY alignment:

https://www.amazon.c...tomotive&sr=1-2

51kBQpw3nQL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

• 7racer likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,368 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
You use that decartes? Looks a bit... Shitty.

Dave

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,046 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Dave

HAHAHAHA!!
Yeah, all that’s going to do is keep the steering wheel centered which is only half the battle. Ya need strings and jackstands to measure the angle of each wheel and keep them straight while adjusting the toe.

Here are the high level steps that I’ve been doing, in order:

1. Adjust front camber as desired
2. Adjust rear camber as desired
3. Adjust front toe to 0 or very slight toe-out for track. Slight toe-in for highway.
4. Adjust rear toe to slight toe-in
5. Drive car and see where steering wheel is centered
6. Adjust front toe arms as needed to re-center the steering wheel (make sure to do equal turns on each side)

Steps 1-4 should only take about 30 mins.
Steps 5 and 6 may need to be repeated a few times and will take longer...
  • 7racer and thehelix112 like this

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 947 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Dave

Here is the actual one I bought, but costs a bit more. I was trying to save you guys some money with the first one:

https://www.amazon.c...78051517&sr=8-7

• thehelix112 likes this

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
What about these for adjusting toe- any difference in accuracy?

VKRP Distributors Aluminum Wheel Alignment Turn Plates Turntables/Plates/Turn/Tables/Pads/tie Rod Adjustment Set of 2 with ramps

https://www.amazon.c...i_c62dEbYXD9MB1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users