Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Block Heater install

- - - - -

Best Answer JohnnyTSi , 23 March 2020 - 07:58 PM

Followup for the next unfortunate soul that wants to take this project on! It IS possible to install a Block Heater from the top. I had to remove both upper and lower intake manifolds to have enough room to get the job done. Even with the manifold out of the way I couldn't get my fat hands down far enough to even touch the mounting hole.

With the cable attached I was able to use a coat hanger bent into a "U" on the end to coax the element into the hole!

Once the end is in the hole it was about 3331/3 wiggles using the cable and a long screwdriver to get it coaxed all the way into the hole.

Next challenge was to get the clip to engage, I used one of my long pry-bars that has an angled end to pop the clip on.by prying against the end of the connector.

Good Luck,

John-

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

Has anyone here installed a block heater in their r35? I have a heater element and cord inbound and after looking at how tight the engine/firewall is I'm wondering how hard the install is? or if it is even possible without dropping the engine?

Thanks,

John-

• Enshiu and thehelix112 like this

Beautiful Blue FBO 2013 R35 GTR

655/638tq Daily Driven street thrasher!

Cobb 3" Intakes
SBD Race Intercooler with TiAL BOVs

Cobb catted Down Pipes
Cobb mid pipe modded with a Borla resonator
MAP Muffled 3.5" cat back
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit
Cobb Fuel Pressure sensor kit
Torque Solution Maf Block-off Plates

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,795 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

-since I live in Fl . I can’t be of any help, and to be honest I don’t think I’ve er even seen a thread on this subject

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

-since I live in Fl . I can’t be of any help, and to be honest I don’t think I’ve er even seen a thread on this subject

I did a bit of searching and discovered very little info - Hence why I started this thread!

Thanks,

John-

• Tim likes this

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

The most information I found was in this thread on the 'other' board:

https://www.gtrlife....adian-brothers/

part numbers needed:

• heater - 11001-1NC0B

• cord - 24076-1LA1A

and I think this is where the heater element installs:

Attached Images

• vr38dett.jpg

• Enshiu likes this

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,425 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
That looks awful. But I hope I'm wrong. Let us know how it goes!

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

That looks awful. But I hope I'm wrong. Let us know how it goes!

I agree - wish I had thought to check the last time I had the intake manifold off

John-

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 505 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Running engines in extreme cold temps is typically "hard" on many components. Why do you need to start/drive it in such harsh temperature conditions?
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build. 1100+WHP

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

Running engines in extreme cold temps is typically "hard" on many components. Why do you need to start/drive it in such harsh temperature conditions?

well - that was helpfull! 

John-

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 505 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

well - that was helpfull! 

John-

Maybe not to you but possibly to your car/motor? Lol

Coming from an aviation background our mechanics used to say "if you need to buy a block heater get ready to buy a new engine"

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Maybe not to you but possibly to your car/motor? Lol

Coming from an aviation background our mechanics used to say "if you need to buy a block heater get ready to buy a new engine"

So John, socalaviator is kind of right about this.  I realize the responses sound kurt and off the cuff, but they are correct.  If you plan on operating this beast in the Washington area during your extreme winters, especially highly tuned, even with a block heater there WILL be consequences.  So, I think what he's getting at is if you can have a beater car that you don't care as much about during the winters that might be a better choice.

If, on the other hand, you're going to run a block heater when the outside temp is 50 deg F at startup for safer startups for a nice spring or fall drive, that's another thing.  And, living in Washington, you have more familiarity with block heaters than many of us do down in the lower 50.

So, everybody dial down just a little bit and let us know what the real situation is....

Shawn

• Tim and Enshiu like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 505 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

So John, socalaviator is kind of right about this.  I realize the responses sound kurt and off the cuff, but they are correct.  If you plan on operating this beast in the Washington area during your extreme winters, especially highly tuned, even with a block heater there WILL be consequences.  So, I think what he's getting at is if you can have a beater car that you don't care as much about during the winters that might be a better choice.

If, on the other hand, you're going to run a block heater when the outside temp is 50 deg F at startup for safer startups for a nice spring or fall drive, that's another thing.  And, living in Washington, you have more familiarity with block heaters than many of us do down in the lower 50.

So, everybody dial down just a little bit and let us know what the real situation is....

Shawn

I was genuinely curious about the need to operate the GTR in such harsh temperatures. Having a secondary vehicle of lesser value is a good recommendation.
  • Tim and Ian201 like this

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA
1. I bought this car to drive! frankly I've never understood why someone buys a car to turn it into a garage queen! I drive my cars like I stole it every day! and frankly the though of driving a shitbox makes me gag!
2. I leave for work at 5am
3. I currently have a garage that is full of projects so the gt-r is relegated to the driveway! (yeah I know heresy)
4. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and while it isn't socal, it rarely dips into the teens, not exactly what I consider harsh weather! 
5. I'm an old wild child that has been around the world a few times and during those adventures been blown up, shot up, fallen off my skis, and been knocked off my motorcycle(s)! I have had more broken bones than anyone has a right to have had! and because of that when I'm cold I hurt! Having a block heater switch on at 4am will help both the car and me feel better!
so - now that you know my life's history! and why I want to install a block heater, I still don't have an answer to my original question. 

John-

Edited by JohnnyTSi, 26 November 2019 - 12:20 AM.

• Tim, Enshiu, shawnhayes and 1 other like this

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,795 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

1. I bought this car to drive! frankly I've never understood why someone buys a car to turn it into a garage queen! I drive my cars like I stole it every day! and frankly the though of driving a shitbox makes me gag!
3. I currently have a garage that is full of projects so the gt-r is relegated to the driveway! (yeah I know heresy)
4. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and while it isn't socal, it rarely dips into the teens, not exactly what I consider harsh weather! 
5. I'm an old wild child that has been around the world a few times and during those adventures been blown up, shot up, fallen off my skis, and been knocked off my motorcycle(s)! I have had more broken bones than anyone has a right to have had! and because of that when I'm cold I hurt! Having a block heater switch on at 4am will help both the car and me feel better!
so - now that you know my life's history! and why I want to install a block heater, I still don't have an answer to my original question. 

John-

Best response ever..Kudos my friend....I honestly wish I could help you with this...I know about hurting when it’s cold 

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

John-

Okay.  I suggest installing the OEM block heater, AND a dipstick heater, AND if you can find one of the old stick on oil pan heaters I'd strongly suggest them all.

Shawn

• Tim and Enshiu like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 505 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

John-

LOL!

Just forget the block heater and drive it like you stole it!
Besides, you might hurt your back installing it. (J/k)
  • Enshiu and Ian201 like this

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 359 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

I just warm it up before drive (idle like 15min)

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

I just warm it up before drive (idle like 15min)

I have installed the 12v solutions remote start kit and do start it a few mins before I leave! It is well known that letting a cold engine idle really isn't good for it so I'd like to get the block heater installed.

John-

• shawnhayes likes this

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

There is no way to get this installed from the top - there just isn't enough room to get my hand snaked through the wiring and the coolant 'Y' pipe. I have a ported intake manifold that I need to install, I should be able to get it in with the upper and lower manifolds off.

Here is a better view of how it installs in the block:

Attached Images

• BlockHeater (600x800).jpg

• Tim, 7racer and shawnhayes like this

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I have installed the 12v solutions remote start kit and do start it a few mins before I leave! It is well known that letting a cold engine idle really isn't good for it so I'd like to get the block heater installed.

John-

This is absolutely true down to some really stupid cold temperature.  I don't know how low that temp is though.  I think it's something like -50 C.  Below that, start and drive can be harmful without block heater or start and idle for a while.  Still hard on wear and carbon buildup though.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,135 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

There is no way to get this installed from the top - there just isn't enough room to get my hand snaked through the wiring and the coolant 'Y' pipe. I have a ported intake manifold that I need to install, I should be able to get it in with the upper and lower manifolds off.

Here is a better view of how it installs in the block:

Let us know how it goes.

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users