Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DIY Pressure side De-Fueler less than $30

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

POPULAR

Facing a trip to Mexico and caught with a mostly full tank with low ethanol percentage, I wanted a way to pump out most of the fuel in preperation for a fill up of e85. I almost bought an AMS fuel drain line, but was having a hard time with the $160 price tag for such a simple part. Here is what I came up with as an alternative, total cost was about $27 for one, beating my expectations by a huge margin, all parts were sourced from Amazon

6.99 3/8" Female Bundy
 5.50 3/8" Male Bundy
 2.65 3/8" Brass "T"
 2.50 3/8" Brass Ball Valve
 6.50 3/8" EFI Fuel Hose
 2.50 3/8" EFI Hose Clamps

Attached Images

• 20191003_172505.jpg
  • 20191002_185657.jpg

• Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

Beautiful Blue FBO 2013 R35 GTR

655/638tq Daily Driven street thrasher!

Cobb 3" Intakes
SBD Race Intercooler with TiAL BOVs

Cobb catted Down Pipes
Cobb mid pipe modded with a Borla resonator
MAP Muffled 3.5" cat back
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit
Cobb Fuel Pressure sensor kit
Torque Solution Maf Block-off Plates

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,691 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Nice dyi!! Thanks for the share

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 489 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Sweet. I have always wanted one without paying the GTR tax. Thanks for sharing!
  • Tim likes this
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

CAUTION - The fuel tank can be under pressure when the car is warm, make sure to open the fuel tank cap and equalize pressure before disconnecting the fuel lines.

• Tim, 7racer and Ian201 like this

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,039 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Dumb question but I’ll need to do this for the first time ever. Will the pumps run indefinitely with the ignition on but engine not running?
I only need to do this once for a car show that requires less than 1/4 tank of gas...

Thanks!

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

Dumb question but I’ll need to do this for the first time ever. Will the pumps run indefinitely with the ignition on but engine not running?
I only need to do this once for a car show that requires less than 1/4 tank of gas...

Thanks!

1. Open the gas cap to release any pressure in the tank, if the fuel is warm from driving, the tank builds up pressure when you stop and will spray gas all over when you disconnect the fuel line.

2. install the tool into the fuel feed line on the car (the big one)

3. close the valve completely

3. start the car

4. slowly open the valve until a steady stream flows out the discharge hose. Be careful not to open it to far or the car will starve for fuel and stall

5. monitor the fuel can so you don't over fill the can and spill fuel on the ground

6. when the car's tank is nearly empty you will hear a gurgling, sucking sound coming out of the fuel line, this is the primary pump picking up air

7. turn the car off, your tank is very close to completely empty.

OF NOTE is that the pumps are cooled by fuel flowing around/through them, you could run the car until it stalls, but that may cause the pumps to get hot. I've seen it done like this several times without issues. I don't let my car run completely out to the stall point though.

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,039 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

1. Open the gas cap to release any pressure in the tank, if the fuel is warm from driving, the tank builds up pressure when you stop and will spray gas all over when you disconnect the fuel line.
3. start the car
4. slowly open the valve until a steady stream flows out the discharge hose. Be careful not to open it to far or the car will starve for fuel and stall
5. monitor the fuel can so you don't over fill the can and spill fuel on the ground
6. when the car's tank is nearly empty you will hear a gurgling, sucking sound coming out of the fuel line, this is the primary pump picking up air

OF NOTE is that the pumps are cooled by fuel flowing around/through them, you could run the car until it stalls, but that may cause the pumps to get hot. I've seen it done like this several times without issues. I don't let my car run completely out to the stall point though.

Ahhh, this setup allows the engine to run while siphoning off just enough gas. Got it - thanks!

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,645 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Another simpler option is to disconnect the sending sensor harness under the back seats ;)

JohnnyTSi

JohnnyTSi

Stock

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 16-March 19
  • LocationEverett, WA

Another simpler option is to disconnect the sending sensor harness under the back seats ;)

Huh! Maybe I'm doing it wrong? How does this help empty the fuel tank (including the saddle tank?)

John-

Cobb 3" Intakes

Cobb catted Down Pipes
ASNU 330 pumps
id1300x2 injectors
Visconti Flex Fuel kit
Omni 4bar Map sensor kit

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,039 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

3. start the car

So I tried this yesterday except I used the return side. No parts or tools necessary, just unhook it and put a funnel with a hose attached to catch the running gas. It was painfully slow. After 45 mins I had only gotten about 4 gallons out. We wound up driving around some highways at high boost and that burned it off much quicker. If I had used the pressure side would it have come out faster?

Cheers!

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 545 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

So I tried this yesterday except I used the return side. No parts or tools necessary, just unhook it and put a funnel with a hose attached to catch the running gas. It was painfully slow. After 45 mins I had only gotten about 4 gallons out. We wound up driving around some highways at high boost and that burned it off much quicker. If I had used the pressure side would it have come out faster?

Cheers!

Even if you ran the car “dry” from the return line, you would still end up with a half-full gas tank, since without return fuel flow the siphon system would not transfer fuel from driver’s half of the gas tank.
  • elf_cruiser likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,039 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Even if you ran the car “dry” from the return line, you would still end up with a half-full gas tank, since without return fuel flow the siphon system would not transfer fuel from driver’s half of the gas tank.

Copy that, but if starting with a half tank then you’d end up with a quarter tank, yeah?? No wonder it was so slow...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users