Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Family truckster

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

RallyJon

RallyJon

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
  • LocationSE PA

I’ve daily driven my ‘09 for over six years now, every day smitten with the response and analog feedback from an incredibly organic performance car that never fails to engage and entice me to push the limits on my back roads drive to work. On winter tires, it’s up to the task in most conditions, handling ice and slush and up to a foot of snow. When I first got it to replace my Porsche 996 C4S, I was amazed at how practical it was in comparison: three little boys and all their lacrosse gear fit easily and I was the carpool hero. Now the boys are taller than I am and the rear seats don’t work so well any more. I’ve always been a one-car guy, and my wife likes smaller cars too (she drives an S3) but the time came to extend the fleet with a little more space and, maybe, a little luxury.

I started the search resigned to getting a family hauler in the $40s price range, but hoping for a bit of driving feel without much optimism. Thinking three row, I drove the new Explorer ST, and it was fast and steered reasonably well, but just too big. The new Kia is a remarkable feat of packaging—I can’t imagine more interior space in that footprint, and it drove reasonably well, too. But along with the Grand Cherokees I drove, going smaller, I just couldn't see myself behind the wheel. My wife is an Audi fan, but they still have a tragic entertainment system, and BMW iDrive makes me want to put my eyes out. The Range Rover Velar and Alfa Stelvio caught my attention, but the reviews warned me away.

Coming back to Porsche, I drove a couple of Macans. The turbo was very responsive and well equipped, but quite small in the back seat and cargo area. And the one I wanted was over $70k! So I could trade the GT-R plus my budget, and get a less capable, not roomy enough mini-ute? No thanks. I also drove a recent Cayenne base—what a pig for way too much money.

The breakthrough came when I started considering how the luxo-car market works. The practical, reasonable mid-level cars like the Macans, modest trim Cayennes, AMG 43s, SQ5s, etc. hold their value well—too well, really. But a several-year-old, high-end trim car loses way more as a percent of its value over the same period. Maybe not so prestigious at the country club anymore—time to trade up? From a used car buyers’ perspective, the top end models are also owned by people who tend to maintain their cars with dealer discipline, if not enthusiast detail.

Sure enough, once I raised the bar on my searches a bit, I found a Cayenne turbo S, meticulously maintained with a raft of service records, all the “problem” areas resolved, and recent brakes, tires, etc. for well within budget. A $160k car for three-quarters off! Driving it was a revelation: comfortable and luxurious, but 550 hp and a remarkable set of suspension gimmicks really do make it feel 1000 lb lighter than its enormous weight. I bought it after two test drives and have been having a great time exploring its incomprehensible drifting abilities. Not sure if torque vectoring and active sway bars help or hinder but this thing lays out powerslides like a ‘69 Camaro.

I really want to keep the GT-R. It’s got pretty high miles, and maybe it deserves a life of once-a-week drives when there’s no rain in the forecast. But my son wants it badly, and he’ll be 16 in a year and a half...

Edited by RallyJon, 07 September 2019 - 11:09 PM.

• Tim, 7racer and droptopp like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,585 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
I always try to get about 1yr old models as the Original owner gets to eat all the deprecation
I bet your son wants The GT-R.lets be honest what 16 yr old wouldn’t 😂
  • droptopp likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,749 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
^+1 or leftovers
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,288 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
-1 on giving a 16 yo a GTR. Great way to end up with a bent kid and car.

Congrats on the cayenne. The newer ones look pretty cool too!

Post up a pic or two.

Dave

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,585 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

-1 on giving a 16 yo a GTR. Great way to end up with a bent kid and car.

Congrats on the cayenne. The newer ones look pretty cool too!

Post up a pic or two.

Dave

My first car was a Toyota truck for that reason alone..but got it stuck on the beach and then got a Sububan. But blew the Tranny out of it . Then got a Chevy. Malibu and totaled it into a tree. First day of summer.....then got a camaro and came close to totaling it../

After that My parents said your own ! I bought a Toyota Camry and drove it for the next 5 yrs....God Bless my mom and Dad
  • droptopp likes this

RallyJon

RallyJon

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
  • LocationSE PA

Not to worry--my son will get a beater Golf or something as a first car.

Here's the new member of the family:

190905cayenne.jpg

1,100 horsepower in the driveway

190908mirror.jpg

Edited by RallyJon, 10 September 2019 - 12:37 PM.

• Tim and 7racer like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,585 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
Nice looking ride! are you thinking about any mods

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,749 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
I love the Porsche launch control - one of the best sounding factory setups.

I loved the Macan.

https://youtu.be/7p8q_XKbQ9o
  • Tim likes this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 472 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Thanks for sharing. I was curious about leasing a Macan as a family car but Porsche options really do rack up the price. Haven't seen the back seats in person but I'll take your word for it that they are small.

A 16 year old in a GTR is a scary proposition.
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,749 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
No Macan backseat isn’t bad at all. I’m 6’5” and for fine. Just super low to the ground and wifey preferred the X5 volume and extra hp.
  • Tim and socalaviator like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 472 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

No Macan backseat isn’t bad at all. I’m 6’5” and for fine. Just super low to the ground and wifey preferred the X5 volume and extra hp.

Sounds like I need to go check one out in person
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,749 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Yeah I actually taught my twin daughters how to drive in one. Very nimble sport ute. Those Porsche guys build some cool stuff
  • Tim and socalaviator like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,749 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I should know better and wait on the market....but I have a bad habit of biting and getting the newest thing  :huh:

congrats on the new car though!!

not many of us 09's left

• Tim and droptopp like this

In7anity!!

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,585 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

I should know better and wait on the market....but I have a bad habit of biting and getting the newest thing :huh:

congrats on the new car though!!

not many of us 09's left

I’m still here👍🏴‍☠️

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,749 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
My 09 should be getting loaded up for a road trip shortly.
  • Tim likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users