Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Odd brake issue

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Updated:
So I wanted to update this thread after a lot of troubleshooting and comparing to a few other cars. Seems like the issue is actually related to the bigger 282 cams in the car. At idle the vacuum is not great and thus I am not getting much help from the booster. On deccel there is more vacuum and thus the car brakes better from speed.

I am going to add a vacuum reservoir, for now though I need to push harder on the pedal at low vacuum conditions

Original post:
A couple months ago I switched to a new set of J-hook rotors with hawk pads. The braking wasn’t great so I switched to the mx72 which improved it dramatically but I am having an odd issue.

When I let the car sit for a day or so the first time I get on the brakes it feels a little squishy and doesn’t stop hard. Once I have braked a few times and have some heat in the system it gets noticeably better and stops like the combo should. I have bled them a few times and do not see any air. Any thoughts on anything else to try? Anyone ever have warping of J-hooks? Fluid level is solid and no leaks. I also have the master cylinder brace.

Maybe I got a bad set? Might try a set of RB or DBA T3 5000 for street usage, anyone have experience with these? I love j-hooks but these suck for some reason

Edited by Dsm_alpha, 19 August 2019 - 07:15 PM.

• Tim and BeJimmienup like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,899 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
I have your set up and it Deff is always a little interesting the first time you push the breaks... but I’ve had no warping issues

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,118 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
I run Jhooks with Project Mu pads.

Did you bed the new pads into the rotors ?

When I previously let my car sit for a year +/- they had a good deal of oxidation on them. Definitely needed another round of bedding to clean them off.
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
I bedded them a few times

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Remove the plastic covering around the wipers and the brake booster. Then look/feel underneath for any brake fluid. I had a similar issue and it was a leaky master cyl. Otherwise double check the bleeder screws for leaks at all calipers, if just one of them is stripped it can cause this issue as well. Luckily they are easy to repair.

I doubt it’s a warped rotor or else it would be mushy every time you hit the brakes, not just after sitting awhile.
  • Tim likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

Remove the plastic covering around the wipers and the brake booster. Then look/feel underneath for any brake fluid. I had a similar issue and it was a leaky master cyl. Otherwise double check the bleeder screws for leaks at all calipers, if just one of them is stripped it can cause this issue as well. Luckily they are easy to repair.

I doubt it’s a warped rotor or else it would be mushy every time you hit the brakes, not just after sitting awhile.

Thanks - will definitely check this but the fluid level has stayed rock solid so not thinking it’s leaking. It feels better when brakes are warm. Ordered another set of rotors and pads to try as well.
  • Tim likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
It only takes a few minutes to check and make sure. A few drops of leakage wouldn’t change the fluid level. However it could be a sign that air is getting into the master when the car sits, and is purged out after a few pumps of the pedal. Just an educated guess on my part, and it’s an easy thing to check.

👍
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Checked the master cylinder and couldn’t find any fluid around it or brake booster. All the bleeders looked good, passenger rear looked like maybe 1 drop of fluid so cleaned it up and pumped brakes and didn’t see any additional fluid. Will keep an eye on it.
  • 7racer likes this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Took a few pics, to me it looks like uneven wear is occurring
7425C669-C6CB-46D4-8B11-EA30706BB595.jpeg DC00EA52-C754-4EE6-BA4E-C1D36D674870.jpeg
  • 7racer likes this

Yme

Yme

Stock

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 31-October 16

For my own curiosity, what brand of J hooks do you have?

Edited by Yme, 04 July 2019 - 06:19 AM.

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
AP Racing now - gonna switch to Alcon

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Checked the master cylinder and couldn’t find any fluid around it or brake booster. All the bleeders looked good, passenger rear looked like maybe 1 drop of fluid so cleaned it up and pumped brakes and didn’t see any additional fluid. Will keep an eye on it.

Good news, yeah keep an eye on that rear bleeder and see if it’s wet again after a few days. Could be the culprit...
  • Tim and 7racer like this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Replaced with Alcon rotors and another new set of mx72. Stops a lot harder and now I can actually hit ABS with 285/345 Cup 2s.

Still have a little bit of travel at top of pedal, can this be adjusted out with the pedal?
  • Tim likes this

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 567 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Do you have a master brake cylinder stopper already? If not, get it - I bet it will take out the slop on initial brake application.

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
I do have the stopper, gonna play with the adjustment of it and see if it helps.

The only thing is I still kind of feel like the pedal needs a bit more travel before it bottoms out to get full brake force but maybe I just need to bed the pads more. Right now I feel my foot stop but I want to press down further

Any thoughts? Should I mess with the pedal rod adjustment?

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

POPULAR

So I ended up replacing the master cylinder as the pedal was still a bit soft for the first 1/3 of travel. Feels a ton better now. There was no fluid leaking but there were some scratches on the piston and piston bore so the seals must have been letting some fluid past.

Hoping this is the final solution as not having confidence in the brakes sucks.
  • Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,584 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
How old is your car? Crazy to need to replace mc already.. I more associate that with my Datsun days.

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,662 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

How old is your car? Crazy to need to replace mc already.. I more associate that with my Datsun days.

It’s a 2009
  • Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,899 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

So I ended up replacing the master cylinder as the pedal was still a bit soft for the first 1/3 of travel. Feels a ton better now. There was no fluid leaking but there were some scratches on the piston and piston bore so the seals must have been letting some fluid past.

Hoping this is the final solution as not having confidence in the brakes sucks.

That No Bueno my man ...We can all totally see your point
  • elf_cruiser likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

You’ve only got a few more years, mate! Good news is that they are cheap and easy to replace!
  • thehelix112 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users