Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is upgrading injectors a "requirement"?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

stvegtr

stvegtr

Stock

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-March 19

My car is 2018 Gtr premium 

all stock

Is upgrading injectors a "requirement" if I'm just doing:

3 inch Catless Downpipes and 4 inch full straight pipe?  (no resonator/ no mufflers)

I have no plans of doing any modifications in the future other than full straight pipe exhaust. 

Cause my local shop is telling me that it is perfectly ok not to upgrade injectors since its just exhaust, 

there are also many members in my local Gtr club who have changed to catless downpipes WITHOUT upgrading injectors  also (no check engine using armytrix CEL terminator ), the only difference is that, they are running Armytrix full exhaust with mufflers and valves, while for me I have planned to use 3'' Armytrix Catless downpipe and 4 inch full straight pipe. 

They have doing this for a long time, but I've read some sources that downpipes will max out stock injectors so I'm confused. 

However, I also dont want to change parts unless they are required cause i want to keep my car stock besides exhaust 

as of now, my car is all stock, no tune whatsoever, turbo boost is also all stock. 

I dont join races, but do occasional WOT to redline. Temperature in my area ranges from 85-95F

Thanks in advance

Hope someone can help me decide.

Edited by stvegtr, 18 June 2019 - 03:46 AM.

• Tim likes this

5ive

5ive

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 29-March 16
  • LocationGermany Hannover

no u dont need upgraded injectors but u can make more power with upgraded injectors if they it all depends on the air fuel mix ratio and how much boost u run. A good tuner will take care of everything. Some tuners take more risk and go 98 % fuel duty ratio or some like to keep an bigger safety margin. So go get a good tuner, or leave the tune stock and put in cel terminator.

greetings,

Robert

• Tim likes this

stvegtr

stvegtr

Stock

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-March 19

no u dont need upgraded injectors but u can make more power with upgraded injectors if they it all depends on the air fuel mix ratio and how much boost u run. A good tuner will take care of everything. Some tuners take more risk and go 98 % fuel duty ratio or some like to keep an bigger safety margin. So go get a good tuner, or leave the tune stock and put in cel terminator.

greetings,

Robert

Hi thanks for the reply,

actually the stock power is enough for me, I just want loud sound 

so basically my plan is safe for the car?

3''catless dp with cel terminator/ catless DP with o2 defouler (no check engine), 4'' full straight pipe

no tune, stock everything except for the exhaust set up

do you know about how much injector duty I'll have? 

by the way I do occasional WOT to redline

Regards

Edited by stvegtr, 18 June 2019 - 05:09 AM.

5ive

5ive

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 29-March 16
  • LocationGermany Hannover

U have stock injector duty car will run as intended by nissan with injector safety margin as planned by nissan. Only if u go more power u will run more injectors. Your local shop advice is correct. Just be prepared sometimes the mechanic does everything right and still a turbo stud breaks it will take more time so you have to pay more. It's kinda like a force mayor it happened on my gtr.

greetings,

Robert.

• Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,627 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

greetings,
Robert

U have stock injector duty car will run as intended by nissan with injector safety margin as planned by nissan. Only if u go more power u will run more injectors. Your local shop advice is correct. Just be prepared sometimes the mechanic does everything right and still a turbo stud breaks it will take more time so you have to pay more. It's kinda like a force mayor it happened on my gtr.

greetings,
Robert.

Robert is absolutely 100% correct, thank ya Robert for giving the man solid advice
  • stvegtr likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

stvegtr

stvegtr

Stock

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-March 19

greetings,

Robert.

Thanks alot Robert for the advise :) 

stvegtr

stvegtr

Stock

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-March 19

by the way 

which is better for stock gtr?  3" or 3.5" catless dp 
(combined with 4" catback)

are there also differences in sound? 

thanks

Guido

Guido

Stage 2 Member

• OEM Member
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

You can probably go on youtube and find some sound videos of different down pipes and exhausts.

• Tim likes this

stvegtr

stvegtr

Stock

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-March 19

You can probably go on youtube and find some sound videos of different down pipes and exhausts.

yeah I've watched lots of videos however
cant really tell the sound difference based on videos alone 

I think I want 3.5'' catless DPs 
however, wouldnt it be too much for my car since my car is all stock and will not be getting a tune. 
i'll just be using an o2 defouler. (so no check engine light) 

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Super loud stock power gtr?

But why?

Dave

stvegtr

stvegtr

Stock

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-March 19

Super loud stock power gtr?

But why?

Dave

Few days ago, I had installed 4'' full straight pipe (no mufflers/ no resonator) from Y pipe to back

but still on stock downpipes, however, its not loud enough :)

Saw this video on youtube
https://www.youtube....h?v=WsmlQEyrVBU

is this the sound of 4'' full straight no mufflers w/ Catless Dp?

I mean based from the video, its loud, but not like "super" loud? 

Majority of the guys in my local Gtr club runs Catless DP, however, they have mufflers at the back (Armytrix).

A full Armytrix 90mm exhaust w/ Catless Dp is louder than my current set up which is Stock Dp and 4'' straight pipe to the back.  

Closest one I've heard I think is a guy running Tomei 4 inch with Catless Dp, but Tomei still has small mufflers at the back, its loud but it sounds awesome to me.

I actually haven't heard a legit 4'' full straight pipe (no mufflers) w/ Catless Dp before in person. I guess its almost the same sound as Tomei?

Edited by stvegtr, 19 June 2019 - 08:50 PM.

Guido

Guido

Stage 2 Member

• OEM Member
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

In my area, there is a city called Seal Beach and when you drive through, there is a sign that says "loud exhausts will be ticketed".  I thought that was funny since so many American muscle cars are loud as shit.  But they have to catch you as well.

I like the sound of my stock exhaust.  It sounds nasty enough and it's hard enough to hear in the car as it is with the R888 tires without a louder exhaust.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

In my area, there is a city called Seal Beach and when you drive through, there is a sign that says "loud exhausts will be ticketed". I thought that was funny since so many American muscle cars are loud as shit. But they have to catch you as well.

I like the sound of my stock exhaust. It sounds nasty enough and it's hard enough to hear in the car as it is with the R888 tires without a louder exhaust.

+1.

I switched my midpipe (to one with two mufflers) coz Joe gave me a cracking deal on his old one. Sounds great to my ears.

Guido

Guido

Stage 2 Member

• OEM Member
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

Where in LA are you?

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Where in LA are you?

Westside. East edge of Mar vista/palms. You?

Guido

Guido

Stage 2 Member

• OEM Member
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

I'm in Fullerton and work in Seal Beach.  I daily drive my GTR.

• thehelix112 likes this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,793 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
You can not add downpipes and leave the car on the stock tune. I mean you can, but the car will run like crap.

As others have mentioned you will max out stock injector duty cycle pretty quickly if you are running the proper tune.

Assuming in Orange County you will be running either 91 or E85. If the latter you will need injectors regardless.

If you want to open it up a bit and do not want to tune (why wouldn’t you though), add the Y-pipe and an axle back without mufflers. Can run that without tuning but will run rich on stock computer.

Good luck

Edited by droptopp, 20 June 2019 - 12:48 PM.

• Tim likes this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

stvegtr

stvegtr

Stock

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 27-March 19

You can not add downpipes and leave the car on the stock tune. I mean you can, but the car will run like crap.

As others have mentioned you will max out stock injector duty cycle pretty quickly if you are running the proper tune.

Assuming in Orange County you will be running either 91 or E85. If the latter you will need injectors regardless.

If you want to open it up a bit and do not want to tune (why wouldn’t you though), add the Y-pipe and an axle back without mufflers. Can run that without tuning but will run rich on stock computer.

Good luck

thanks for your reply

sorry what do you mean "run like crap"? 

like in what way? 
will the car be slower or temperature issues or other issues? 

actually majority of my local gtr club are running Catless Dps No Tune (Using o2 defouler/ CEL Canceller) but the difference is that they have mufflers at the back (armytrix). while mine is full straight. (would that matter?)

kept asking them if the car runs well, they said yes.

so I'm quite confused.   

just to clarify:

If i'm on stock tune with Catless Dp and 4'' straight pipe, the injectors will NOT max out, the car can safely run,  but will not run well?

If i have a "proper tune" for Catless DP, injectors will "automatically" max out? or can the tuner control injector flow so I wont need to upgrade injectors?  

thanks 

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,793 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Tuners can chime in - but rule of thumb is if you swap downpipes you need a tune.

Full decat will throw P0340 cat codes. Which can be eliminated by 02 defoulers as you mentioned.

But you will get bad boost spikes while on nissan oem airflow based boost control

Cobb & ecutek have re-written the boost code for full control for that extra air flow which is expected from adding downpipes.

Edited by droptopp, 21 June 2019 - 08:12 AM.

• Tim and socalaviator like this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users