Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Assistance w/ Helmet Selection, 4 Point, HANS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Biff_Malibu

Biff_Malibu

Stage 4 Member

• 794 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
  • LocationLos Angeles
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Can anyone point me towards a good light weight (ideally carbon) open face helmet? Looking for something high quality, and light as fuck. I’d like it to be compatible with a HANS device. The only one I’ve found is this:

https://pyrotectstor...-graphic-sa2015

This is the harness I’m thinking of ordering:

https://www.nengun.c...-racing-harness

Does anyone have pics of how the harnesses can be mounted safely? Not looking to do cage or bar as I use the backseats from time to time.

This is my first foray in to safety equipment. Any guidance is welcome.

Thanks,

Joe

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,034 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Bell makes the lightest helmets I’ve seen. My wife has their M8 carbon and it’s noticeably lighter than my Pyrotect. I would strongly recommend a full helmet vs an open face. It will protect you from broken glass or other debris entering the car during an impact, and the visibility is not any worse, really. Grab a tinted visor as well, and you won’t have to wear sunglasses inside the helmet. An open face won’t give you that option.

As for harnesses, I understand not wanting to hack up the front seat for a proper 6 point through the seat cushion. The only 4 point that will pass NASA tech (other clubs may be different) is the Schroth ASM (anti-submarine strap). I used one of these for years. It’s a regular 4-point but the inside shoulder strap has an extra length that is sewn up and will expand during an impact. That allows your torso to twist and fold down a bit, just like a factory 3 point belt. This is important because it prevents the body from submarining under the lap belt and it also allows more space over your head in case the roof collapses. The should straps can be easily mounted underneath the rear seat cushion. It would probably take 10-15 minutes to swap the cushion in/out and remove or install the shoulder straps.

What kind of events are you planning to participate in?
  • mstaudt2003 and Biff_Malibu like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,819 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Was going to mention that Pobst loves his Bells. My son uses Bell as well for drag racing.

Edited by droptopp, 22 May 2019 - 08:37 AM.

• Biff_Malibu likes this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Biff_Malibu

Biff_Malibu

Stage 4 Member

• 794 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
  • LocationLos Angeles
Sounds like the Bell is the way to go.

My main use for all of this is HPDE events. Nothing extreme, and not highly competitive. My reasoning for the extra safety is my recent accident which was a good wake up call to the what if factor. I decided I want to protect my neck.

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,819 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
How’s the heel healing up ?

This is the one my son uses, not full face though :

https://badasshelmet...-helmet-review/

I use my bike helmets and as such are full face Arai with an iridium visor.

I just saw this PSS (PRO SHADE SYSTEM) which looks to be pretty cool so you don’t have to change out or leave up if using at night. Not sure how a double visor would breath though.

https://www.araihelm.../en/accessories

Seven had a post awhile aback about a new helmet he picked up.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 2.5 Member

• 276 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationJoplin, MO

How’s the heel healing up ?

This is the one my son uses, not full face though :

https://badasshelmet...-helmet-review/

I use my bike helmets and as such are full face Arai with an iridium visor.

I just saw this PSS (PRO SHADE SYSTEM) which looks to be pretty cool so you don’t have to change out or leave up if using at night. Not sure how a double visor would breath though.

https://www.araihelm.../en/accessories

Seven had a post awhile aback about a new helmet he picked up.

I've never seen an exterior shade like that, all the bike helmets that I've seen/used with shade systems are interior systems. My AGV and my wife's Scorpion both have interior visors, she uses hers. I do not as I hate having my helmet opened (PRK eye surgery too much wind in my eyes bothers me)

But for the car I use a Bell Vader which is Hans capable. It's lighter than my AGV bike helmet. But I'll probably go to a carbon one when I buy one next as I'm still on SA2010 (sadly haven't been to the track in a long while...)

• droptopp likes this

IG - NoCrustGTR

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,819 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14

(sadly haven't been to the track in a long while...)

Same here, especially on 2 wheels.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I have the black armor rally helmet for hot track days....and when I rally lol

https://blackarmorhe...lly-carbon-2015

its on sale right now!

In7anity!!

I8Tokyo

I8Tokyo

Stock

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 23-January 19

I am a little partial to the Bell's my self
IMG 5274
IMG 5275

Edited by I8Tokyo, 30 May 2019 - 09:33 PM.

• 7racer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users