Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New member here build sheet attached and questions.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Razer

Razer

Stock

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 13-May 19

POPULAR

Hello everyone,
And GTR gods I need your help..I had emailed a few shops and I guess im being ignored because they may feel
Like they are wasting their time :(
I am a proud new owner of a 2009 GTR. After lurking and seeing the drama, between these forums it seems gtr heritage is a better fit for me to post my questions without being attacked. I had to change my screen name because the politics in gtr life were ridiculous, I started questioning everything when that tsm owner guy’s post kept getting moved and adjusted. (From what i saw)

Anyways a few questions, my build sheet below FROM what previous owner told me the car had—

-Greddy 3.8 Short Block
- JE PISTONS
-carillo rods
-Tomei PON CAMSHAFTS 256/264
Hks headgasket + manifold gasket
HKS GT800 turbos
-greddy 29R XL turbo kit + greddy bov
-sp engineering 90mm suction kit + greddy airnix filter
-titek resonated SUS midpipe
-HKS LEGAMAX SUS exhaust
-hks spark plugs
- 2 AEM 340LPH E85 FUEL PUMPS*****
-D1000cc injectors
-SPE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR KIT
-spe oil catch can

-Visconti tuning fuel pump hardwire kit.*********

Transmission-

-SP ENGINEERING STAGE 1 Transmission
-PPG 1st gear
- dodson circlips 1&2
- dodson gear lock
-dodson oil pump upgrade
- dodson o ring
-exedy steel plate
-7 disc clutch upgrade (14 disc)
-greddy DCT cooler

The car made 771awhp. 640lbs tq.

The the issues started happening. There was a fuel/boost cut?

So my shop discovered one of the hks pumps going bad so we swapped them with 2 AEM 340lph fuel pumps

And seemed to be running fine. So then, the car was purchased by me and somehow the CEL light came on, and come to find out there was a misfire on ALL cylinders? So the guy I was buying car from took it to his friend and found ALL spark plugs were fouled (assuming from the boost cut or fuel cut)? Well, changed the spark plugs and bam,
Cel light gone.

Ok cool NO BIG DEAL? Car runs fine for a few days I find myself roll racing agains a 700rwhp supercharged mustang from a 55 roll and then I notice terrible loss in performance like it didnt want to go past 5k rpm or struggle for a few hundred rpm, and then continue making power. Something was wrong and it had to be something really stupid. Mustang owner felt like a boss and started showing everyone on video how he destroyed me :(

So the problem got worst, but only happen when the car was fully warmed up? The idle was shitty too but NO CEL light?!

So I took it back to the shop and currently theyre telling me, that one of the spark plugs was misgapped. (‍♂)

But I told them to get on the car again to see if they feel that hesitation again. They indeed felt it just not as bad. And car had to be fully warmed. I think after regapping the spark plugs properly it did help the situation but not completely fix it. They said they ran a data log by some guy named ben lenny (apparently hes amazing) and the car is tuned on EKOTECH? The shop Said that the duty cycle on the injectors were at max capacity. They were going to up the duty cycle on the fuel pumps and turn down the injectors down a bit so they wouldnt run at 100 percent load?

Now, I am not a complete idiot when it comes to cars because I used to have a 300zx TT (the 90s godzilla) something tells me that I may need bigger injectors and a third fuel pump, but I am not 100 percent sure. I want to fix this car so I can mod it further I really want 900awhp and i will need to find a good shop to map me out products I need to make this happen based on what the car has now. This car has been my dream car since I was a boy. When its running right (not fully warmed)? Its friggin an animal, but I feel like it has so much more in it... I just need some advice guys...

Also I am tossing the idea of e85 as well... just need guidance... please can anyone give me their inputs?

Edited by Razer, 15 May 2019 - 11:34 PM.

• 7racer, Sergonc, BahramG and 2 others like this

5ive

5ive

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 29-March 16
  • LocationGermany Hannover

You can get mapped by ben linney if you want. linneytuning.com . He is also here on gtrheritage.com . But first fix your car if you want to get tuned by linney you can get him to check your datalogs. A proper fault diagnosis will help you a lot. So if you can properly fault diagnose the car do it yourself if not let a proper shop do it. You need bigger turbos and stronger transmission and bigger fueling system for more power. More Power means more issues if you ran your car hard for example hpde (trackdays) leave your power level there.

greetings,

Robert

Edited by 5ive, 14 May 2019 - 02:58 AM.

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I think you’re in over your head and your shop is incompetent. Where are you from?
  • Tim, earico and Mattson like this

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

Mattson

Mattson

Stock

• Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 30-October 15
Seems that you're shop don't have any GTR experience, If you live in United states just take the car to one of the bigger famous shops even if you have to transport the car for say 1000$ its still worth it. I would not let some local shop that don't have any GTR experience to troubleshoot the car. Its much better to have only one shop even if it will cost you more because of the shipping, label to fix you're car. Instead of having 10 shops on it and everybody will blame each other when something blows up.

Then i would let the shop go threw the engine and if you have the cash to change to syvecs/motec, Will transform you're car a lot and get much better driveability with much more engine safety.

Edited by Mattson, 14 May 2019 - 01:43 PM.

• Tim likes this

Razer

Razer

Stock

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 13-May 19
Doug I have heard of you and I know you do good work, I wished they cloned you to be in the south. I am in biloxi, mississippi. The shop didn’t misgapp it it was a buddy of the previous owner.

Second question, ben linney has the data logs hes the tuner OF the car :-/ he has the data logs. If it still doesn’t run good or great after this.. ill need to ship it to someone to fix..

Edited by Razer, 14 May 2019 - 09:00 AM.

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I’m glad to help. I could redo the tune also.

Doug Ross
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,748 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
You are right around the corner from TSM - no brainer. You may have mechanical, electrical and tune issues.

Doug can at-least look at a log and you know he travels right ?

Better to just bite the bullet and get it done once.
  • 7racer likes this
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000’s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18” 10/12” (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20” R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

J5isalive

J5isalive

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 424 posts
  • Joined 27-September 13

Doug I have heard of you and I know you do good work, I wished they cloned you to be in the south. I am in biloxi, mississippi. The shop didn’t misgapp it it was a buddy of the previous owner.

Second question, ben linney has the data logs hes the tuner OF the car :-/ he has the data logs. If it still doesn’t run good or great after this.. ill need to ship it to someone to fix..

You arent far from TSM.   I'd suggest reaching out to Cicio at TSM and finding out if they are heading West for any events coming up.  If they are perhaps they can grab your car on the way to or from the event.  Or pay the 500-1000 it would cost to ship the car to TSM.   You'd be guarenteed to get yourself a well running car with the investment in quality work.

• ghostrider likes this

mistacheese

mistacheese

Stock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 06-May 19

Regarding your comment on being ignored, I think you should remember that almost all speed shops will be VERY busy right now, and planning large builds months down the road. With your proximity to TSM I  would call them on the phone, or stop by the shop as it's close, and talk to them. Emails and texts are great to have a paper trail when you are ready to go ahead, but at the stage you are at I would be wanting to talk to someone and get a feel for them.

Any reputable shop should be able to diag and help you out. TSM, Doug @ WGP, Tony @ T1, or the AMS team have all proven themselves for years on this platform, and are still posting on forums and sharing builds all over. My money would be spent having one of them take the car and tear it down.

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

The fact that you have 1000cc injectors with a built motor and larger turbos and this shop you are going to didn't even tell you that larger injectors are needed is a huge red flag IMO. Find another shop NOW. 1000cc is marginally enough for FBO e85 cars. One glance at your build list and I knew you needed more injector.

• Tim, ghostrider and Formidable like this
fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 532 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

The fact that you have 1000cc injectors with a built motor and larger turbos and this shop you are going to didn't even tell you that larger injectors are needed is a huge red flag IMO. Find another shop NOW. 1000cc is marginally enough for FBO e85 cars. One glance at your build list and I knew you needed more injector.

He’s also running an aftermarket FPR, so could be compensating for small injectors with higher base pressure.

Also, no mention of flex fuel - so pump 93?
  • earico likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,810 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
And it’s on pump gas and only made 775 so 1000s are enough.
  • droptopp likes this

Doug Ross
Our Online Store

Guido

Guido

Stage 2 Member

• OEM Member
  • 223 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

First, welcome to the forum!!  Always great to have another GTR owner on here.

The trans parts you list don't sound like a SPE stage one trans.  A stage one is a factory rebuild, so I don't know if it's built enough for your power at 640 lbs of torque.  You are really on the edge, although with the clutch upgrade you may be fine now that I think on it.  You need a stage 2 SPE trans at some point as you increase the power.  But I would not use them for that.  My car was built by them (before I bought it) and I found a lot of issues that Doug helped fix recently.  My clutches are slipping, so I will need a rebuild in the future and I will most likely upgrade the turbos at the same time.

If you are near TSM, they would be the best choice from a location standpoint.  Doug does travel, so you can talk to him about that as well, or you can ship your car to one of the well known GTR shops on the forum as well.   

Oh, and one other thing.  Don't cheap out on getting your car fixed.  Take it to someone who knows what they are doing and pay them the money.  It will be more than some random shop, but it's better to spend a little more now instead of 3 or 4 times as much when someone fucks things up and you have to have someone else fix it that knows what they are doing.  I know this from personal experience.

Edited by Guido, 14 May 2019 - 09:54 PM.

• Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,585 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Welcome to the forum and I would listen to the info your being provided,it’s all solid advice. I would take Doug up on letting him look at your logs as to it can not hurt anything. You also have T1 and Jotech probably about the same distance from you as TSM,just in opposite direction
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 509 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

He’s also running an aftermarket FPR, so could be compensating for small injectors with higher base pressure.

Also, no mention of flex fuel - so pump 93?

My bad. I assumed e85 as that's what most of us with built motors run.

fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

Razer

Razer

Stock

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 13-May 19
Hello everyone and GTR gods,

First off, thank you all for your time in reading this.

Second it is 771awhp on 93 octane.

Third. I am going to see the options between tsm and mr. Doug. I have seen great reviews on both and the countless reviews I have seen on both these guys have been astounding.

Today,
I will talk to my shop today to see if I can get a copy of data logs, I just hope that these fuel issues didnt screw my engine up.
  • Tim and Doug@WGP like this

The Crow

The Crow

Stock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 05-June 18

The politics on GTR life aren't ridiculous, you were being a dick, with all your spam posts.

Razer

Razer

Stock

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 13-May 19

The politics on GTR life aren't ridiculous, you were being a dick, with all your spam posts.

I hardly posted there sir, you have me mixed up with someone else. I am legit a lurker there thanks. 

Razer

Razer

Stock

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 13-May 19

UPDATE

Hello, everyone and GTR gods, 

I have been in touch with Doug from WGP. Sent him data logs. Apparently my build is old school. :( After speaking to this gentleman he will be working me up a quote.

I have spoken to the shop today that has my car and old owner (back and forth). The shop told me (or so i misheard) that it could be a jacks transmission. The previous owner told me that the clutch went out and they sent it to jacks to get replaced. I will get a full on idea wtf is the REAL deal tomorrow. The tranny is built, and was built by SP. So I am assuming that

A. The transmission was swapped with a Jacks transmission

or

B. The clutch went out and the shop here sent the tranny to jacks to get replaced and add some things here and there. (Will get a true update with this tomorrow).

Finally,

After getting some more history on the car the previous owner when switching fuel pumps, he was also wise enough to get the VISCONTI TUNING FUEL PUMP HARDWIRE KIT. Will update my list according to what was added and what I found out. I am very grateful to you all for having some patience with me through this and all of your advice and wise words.

I have another question, 

Say my transmission has some built components similar to a SHEP 1.5 or Jacks 1.5, Say if I want to go 2.0 or 2.5? is it cheaper for me since I already have some internal parts upgraded? or is it the entire set up to be redone??

Will be selling some turbos, injectors, and intercoolers real soon with about 2-4k miles on them and tranny soon depending on this answer.^

Thanks in advance.  -Razer

Edited by Razer, 15 May 2019 - 11:40 PM.

haseeb

haseeb

Stock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 11-April 17

UPDATE

Hello, everyone and GTR gods,

I have been in touch with Doug from WGP. Sent him data logs. Apparently my build is old school. :( After speaking to this gentleman he will be working me up a quote.

I have spoken to the shop today that has my car and old owner (back and forth). The shop told me (or so i misheard) that it could be a jacks transmission. The previous owner told me that the clutch went out and they sent it to jacks to get replaced. I will get a full on idea wtf is the REAL deal tomorrow. The tranny is built, and was built by SP. So I am assuming that

A. The transmission was swapped with a Jacks transmission

or

B. The clutch went out and the shop here sent the tranny to jacks to get replaced and add some things here and there. (Will get a true update with this tomorrow).

Finally,

After getting some more history on the car the previous owner when switching fuel pumps, he was also wise enough to get the VISCONTI TUNING FUEL PUMP HARDWIRE KIT. Will update my list according to what was added and what I found out. I am very grateful to you all for having some patience with me through this and all of your advice and wise words.

I have another question,

Say my transmission has some built components similar to a SHEP 1.5 or Jacks 1.5, Say if I want to go 2.0 or 2.5? is it cheaper for me since I already have some internal parts upgraded? or is it the entire set up to be redone??

Will be selling some turbos, injectors, and intercoolers real soon with about 2-4k miles on them and tranny soon depending on this answer.^

Thanks in advance. -Razer

Now you r in perfect hands .
Doug will squeeze out every hp left in your car and keeping the drivability like a stock car ..
Gud luck brother
  • 7racer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users