Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cobb CAN and Flex Fuel Kit Install

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Has anybody installed the Cobb CAN and Flex Fuel kits? I just got mine and I am about to install them, wondering if anyone has any advice on this install? It looks pretty straight forward.

2016 Premium Gun Metallic with Cobb Stage 3; Cobb Catted Downpipes, Cobb Y-Pipe, NISMO Ti Exhaust, Cobb 3" CF Intakes, ID1050X Injectors, Cobb CAN Gateway with E85,  AMS Intercooler, and Cobb Tuning Front and Rear Sway Bars.

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Well I installed the CAN Gateway today. It was not technically challenging, took about two hours. The only difficult part was installing the base for the CAN unit. It requires you to remove a 10mm bolt that holds an AC line, then install a longer bolt that will hold the base on the other side of the engine. Then you have to unclip a tie holding a wire bundle and install a shorter bolt that will hold the other side of the base. It is very difficult to get these two bolts in their holes because you have no room to work with the AC line there. I dropped one bolt into the engine bay, got it back on the bottom with a magnetic grabber. I finally used a piece of safety wire to hold the bolts in place and screwed them in with a very short allen wrench (you cannot get anything longer in that space with the intake top on).

I will see how it works with the E85 kit install in a few weeks.

• 7racer, mstaudt2003 and haul s like this

2016 Premium Gun Metallic with Cobb Stage 3; Cobb Catted Downpipes, Cobb Y-Pipe, NISMO Ti Exhaust, Cobb 3" CF Intakes, ID1050X Injectors, Cobb CAN Gateway with E85,  AMS Intercooler, and Cobb Tuning Front and Rear Sway Bars.

scarf

scarf

Stock

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 01-January 15
Have been looking forward to someone reviewing this.

mstaudt2003

mstaudt2003

Stock

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 14-March 14
I’ll be ordering the same kit next month, let me know how this turns out.
Using Tapatalk

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 559 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Following, very interested how this turns out.

Can’t believe Cobb made so little noise releasing this!

This feature ought to make it super convenient to run upgraded turbos on SD and E85 in areas with OBD emissions - ought to be able to just swap to MAF tune and drive a little to set readiness, without having to muck with any sensors, and while retaining flex fuel and fuel pressure safety. Am I wrong?
  • mstaudt2003 likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

I had the Flex Fuel kit installed today, I had a professional do the work. He said it installs differently than other kits out there but that it was not bad to do. The intake manifold has to be removed during the install so a new manifold gasket had to be procured, they do not have one included with this kit. If you do not like reusing gaskets better order one to have ready for the install.

The E85 tune is coming next week, right now I am running it as Cobb Stage 3 with 98 mogas. No issues, the car runs fine.

• droptopp and haul s like this

mstaudt2003

mstaudt2003

Stock

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 14-March 14
I’m told it’s a pretty clean install.
Using Tapatalk

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
It is very clean, you cannot see any of the new parts when the install is complete. If you needed it concealed for a vehicle inspection this kit would be ideal.
  • mstaudt2003 likes this

mstaudt2003

mstaudt2003

Stock

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 14-March 14
Tim Bailey recommended it as well.
Using Tapatalk

scarf

scarf

Stock

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 01-January 15
https://youtu.be/Tg-wrSoZN9c

Some discussion on here
  • mstaudt2003 and haul s like this

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Cobb is just starting to train tuners on this new system. I put the E85 tune on hold until the tuner has time to learn how to use this.

sin_city

sin_city

Stock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 24-October 16

I had the Flex Fuel kit installed today, I had a professional do the work. He said it installs differently than other kits out there but that it was not bad to do. The intake manifold has to be removed during the install so a new manifold gasket had to be procured, they do not have one included with this kit. If you do not like reusing gaskets better order one to have ready for the install.

The E85 tune is coming next week, right now I am running it as Cobb Stage 3 with 98 mogas. No issues, the car runs fine.

No intake manifold work needs to be done.  You will need to change injectors and fuel pump to run E85.  I would not let him do it if he is doing that!

IzziRizzi

IzziRizzi

Stock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-February 20

Great info!

Falcon900

Falcon900

Stock

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25-May 18
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

No intake manifold work needs to be done. You will need to change injectors and fuel pump to run E85. I would not let him do it if he is doing that!

He said the Cobb Flex Fuel installed differently that the Visconti type. Said the manifold had to come off, I will go back and look at Cobbs install instructions and see what it says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users