Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Droptopp Alpha 9 3.8 / 4.1 / 4.0 AMS Engines

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,171 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York
I give up brother - spend your money where you want and I’ll do the same.

If I had thousands of miles with no problems think I would have created this post ? If I was treated like a customer think I would created this post ?

Restaurant serves a bad meal I prefer not to go back a third time after giving them the benefit of the doubt twice - doesn’t make it right or wrong.

Means I’m sick of eating shit and paying for it

Why don’t you wait to see what the next shop says ? You are more than welcome to stop and video the removal and tear down should you like. Nothing to hide.

Lol - this 4.0 has something your motor and probably no other motor they built has it was a prototype girdle. Why they went that route after the failures ? I have no idea, again told them to build me a 3.8, 4.1, 4.0 whatever they wanted as long as it worked.
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Martin@amsperformance

Martin@amsperformance

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

And you wonder why I didn’t ship the car back to you.

1. The Alpha 9 cams were in the 3.8 - they were used - didn’t say you sold me used A9 cams - said you put used A9 cams in the 4.1 - which you did and admit that you did. Which was stupidity based on the turbo choice.

2. Serge was told multiple times and even in person I was going for a 12x power level - said alpha cams which you later put in the 4.0 which is now leaking and burning oil on break in.

Your comment you didn’t know is ridiculous if you read the attached email from Serge. Your builder should have thrown up flags reusing A9 cams for a A12x. What kind of ship do you run Martin ?

Motor is headed back and you just assembled the 12x kit ......

Ahhhh I didn’t know .... come on just stop wasting my time.

It’s comical at this point.

The effort you are putting into trying to spin facts should have gone into building a motor that isn’t complete crap.

I’ll make sure to get the tear down posted up for you.

Man what happens to AMS .... downright sad.

6b315cad1c61fe609cbeba0f59630dfa.jpg

There is more to this story.  You cancelled the kit, you said you loved the spool of the A9 and didn't want the lag of A12 turbo's.

from your email to serge.

Hi Serge,

On 08/21 we agreed to pull the 12x kit out based on the fact it wouldn't be a good fit for me and my use primarily due to the lag.   I thought we agreed the ronin type setup would be best for a few track days and the occasional drag strip use. 

Please let me know. 

Best Regards,
Dave

Again in the end after the back and forth on the kit and going through emails I can see how there was some confusion on Serge's part and that's why I took your small Tomei cams in on trade and gave you a new set of Alpha cams.  I'm sorry we weren't a good fit for you.

Martin Musial
President  - AMS Performance - Alpha Performance

ams_email_signature.png

Martin@amsperformance

Martin@amsperformance

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13

Martin how low can you go ? I asked you three different times if you wanted to tune the car and / or review the tune or data logs.

You had no concerns...... stop with the blame game

6373b222d8d3b3b3b6bcdfde9e38e8b7.jpg

I'm referring to datalogs from when it was the 3.8 A9 or the 4.1L  I asked if there were any datalogs from any runs or WOT pulls and I was told there were none.  I'm not blaming anyone, I was trying to figure out what happened since this is not a normal occurrence.  The first engine lasted 4000-5000 miles and driven hard, which is ok.  I wanted to know how the tune looked, because bad assembly & clearances don't last 4000-5000 miles, they show up right away.

Martin Musial

ams_email_signature.png

Martin@amsperformance

Martin@amsperformance

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13

Martin/Dan you have mail

ddd2669f0fb32343ae579bc7af6b4f76.jpg

I'll reply to your email.  So STM is pulling the engine or are you sending the car somewhere?  

Martin Musial

ams_email_signature.png

Guido

Guido

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

So there was no way the engine installer could have been at fault?

This whole story is sad to read.  I hope you get the engine to someone that will fix it to your satisfaction and you can start driving the car again.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,625 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
The main take away here is I think it's worth the time to get a single shop to do the entire job.

To that end, you might consider just shipping the whole car to tsm (or to ams as let's be serious, it's pretty hard to question their record and abilities in the GT-R market), chop the extra downtime, but gain the massively increased confidence and avoid any issues.

I'm in Cali, and I'll be sending my whole car (probably to tsm) for the power build, specifically to avoid situations like this.

I'm sorry you're here man, but on the off chance the issue is with sloppy worth on an installers part, I'd hate to see you back here again in a few months.

Dave
  • Tim, 7racer, elf_cruiser and 1 other like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Guido

Guido

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

It seems like there have been a number of people who have left AMS to go with another shop.  Tim, didn't you do that as well?  I don't think AMS is doing your car now, are they?

• Tim and Mattson like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
My car is Built by T1 useing AMS parts and I couldn’t be happier
  • Guido likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=ClTF76Id0Q4
  • droptopp likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
Notice it’s raining

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=b7DFFF_nZgg

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
I a;so want tase my Motor is all T1, TonyPalo specked and Brandon Jackson. Built with FP9568 turbos thanks to MrRobert Young
  • thehelix112 and droptopp like this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 2,171 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
  • LocationNew York

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=ClTF76Id0Q4

Hahha 196 love it !!
  • Tim likes this
Cicio Performance billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, Zenith R turbos, Cicio wet sump oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid, down pipe, race FMIC, STM titanium axle back, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears, DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : more AMS motors than anyone I know - Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be

That guy actually SHIT his pants in my car WTF
  • droptopp, Yme and tg07 like this

Yme

Yme

Stock

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 31-October 16

That guy actually SHIT his pants in my car WTF

Pics or it didn't happen lol 

Did you find out after he left your car or he was like "oops i make doodie" while he was still in the car?

• Tim and tg07 like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,928 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
After the pull he was as like I think I just shit my pants....I thought he was kidding....In the TRC vid he admits it
  • 7racer, droptopp and tg07 like this

Yme

Yme

Stock

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 31-October 16

After the pull he was as like I think I just shit my pants....I thought he was kidding....In the TRC vid he admits it

lol thanks for the laugh  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Tim likes this

Yme

Yme

Stock

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 31-October 16

The main take away here is I think it's worth the time to get a single shop to do the entire job.

To that end, you might consider just shipping the whole car to tsm (or to ams as let's be serious, it's pretty hard to question their record and abilities in the GT-R market), chop the extra downtime, but gain the massively increased confidence and avoid any issues.

I'm in Cali, and I'll be sending my whole car (probably to tsm) for the power build, specifically to avoid situations like this.

I'm sorry you're here man, but on the off chance the issue is with sloppy worth on an installers part, I'd hate to see you back here again in a few months.

Dave

Well said!  Unfortunately the more hands that touch/work on the car will lead to more finger pointing in the end, should issues arise. 

I recommend having one shop build, install, tune the whole setup, that way if something goes wrong, there is no blame game between shops

Sorry to hear you are going through this hard time as I can only imagine your frustration.  Hang in there, my friend!

DJ

• Tim, Guido, 7racer and 1 other like this

tg07

tg07

Stage 3 Member

• 307 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin

Lol

Alpha 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users