Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thanks RacingBrake!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,086 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13
Way back in the day, racingbrake made a special pin pusher for the GT-R brakes. I had converted to RacingBrake calipers so it wasn’t as useful...

Until now....

ad5684a2022ee49fa0ff2ec9295767c9.jpg

c84715cf75b4866171a846a5626d5e1f.jpg

a4cfa83f6c2e620375befa610c04182e.jpg

Oh look mom, dust seals that don’t disintegrate every track day...

1646093109a899f898108e3f9b91da6e.jpg

Wonder why? Oh yeah, that,

32dcee9317c2d1a38344e98e55adf3d1.jpg

Air....

But there is a downside.....

60aaff882a08a3f71d21e3faebaeab40.jpg

Oh well . Can’t win them all.

Shawn
  • Tim and 7racer like this

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 532 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Have to pull the calipers to swap pads, huh?
  • shawnhayes likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,086 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Have to pull the calipers to swap pads, huh?

Yep.  But they're stiff as hell.  Oh, and God help me, Nissan did it wrong, BMW did it right.

TWO 14 mm nuts hold on the caliper to a removable ALUMINUM studs that are screwed into the aluminum upright.  So, if you bugger the threads putting on the caliper, you don't have to fix the upright, you just go buy a new stud that you thread into the upright.

And, threading the caliper onto studs that are sticking out of the upright is SOOO much easier than trying to hold the caliper and shoving a five inch bolt through the caliper into the upright.

Shawn

• haul s likes this

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Maybe ARP could make a stud set with nuts to replace the hex head bolts on the GT-R caliper to match the setup on your M5. That would be very nice. Like replacing head bolts with head studs and nuts for a high performance motor.

Are you sure the studs are aluminum? Seems so unlikely to me. Ever put a magnet on those studs to confirm? I would make sense in a way as the studs would expand the same amount as the caliper if both were aluminum. But an aluminum stud just seems like it would be so weak.

• thehelix112 and shawnhayes like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,086 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Maybe ARP could make a stud set with nuts to replace the hex head bolts on the GT-R caliper to match the setup on your M5. That would be very nice. Like replacing head bolts with head studs and nuts for a high performance motor.

Are you sure the studs are aluminum? Seems so unlikely to me. Ever put a magnet on those studs to confirm? I would make sense in a way as the studs would expand the same amount as the caliper if both were aluminum. But an aluminum stud just seems like it would be so weak.

A superb idea for the GT-R.  I couldn't believe how much easier it was.

Hmmm.  Good point.  just because that stud LOOKS aluminum doesn't mean it IS.  I'll lay magnet to it next time, but you can see the stud in my picture.  The shaft certainly looked aluminum.  It had that "frosting" that aluminum gets when it corrodes.  But I'll check.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,585 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Shaun my man , I know miss the GT-R still, but that one damm fine ride you got there always is good to here from you💯😀
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,288 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
+1 always love hearing from you Shawn. I beat myself up daily that the RB I got from you aren't on the car yet. :-(
  • Tim, 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Love those brake cooling duct outlets on the Bimmer. How could Nissan sell the GT-R for all these years with zero brake cooling is beyond me.

• 7racer, thehelix112 and elf_cruiser like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,010 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Love those brake cooling duct outlets on the Bimmer. How could Nissan sell the GT-R for all these years with zero brake cooling is beyond me.

My X5 has exactly the same thing haha. BMW probably put them on the i3 as well!

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,095 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Geez Shawn.  Can you at least wait until my motor is done?

• Tim and 7racer like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,086 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

+1 always love hearing from you Shawn. I beat myself up daily that the RB I got from you aren't on the car yet. :-(

Me too helix.  Get them on brother.  Do I have to come up there and help you?

Shawn

• awdtt likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,086 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

POPULAR

And is THE reason.  Honestly, THE biggest reason I didn't buy some newer used GT-R instead.  It's STUPID that this sled has STOCK pads that last SIX FULL TRACK DAYS and don't even get down to the wear sensors at VIR while making a top speed at VIR that topped my GT-R.  Six full track days on my GT-R with DTC-70's would have been either to the backing plate, or I'd probably have to had replace them either after day four or five.  Stock Nissan pads would have lasted two.

OH, and the M5's brake rotors are $370 a rotor.  Try finding that on the GT-R.

So, I still miss my GT-R.  But I don't miss ANY of the other problems.  NONE.  The M5 lasts lap after lap after lap with a stable oil temp of 255F, and the transmission doesn't go above that either.  Ever.  It's just more ready for the track out of the box.

I do miss all you guys, though.

Shawn

• Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users