Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TSM | Billet Intake Manifold Official Product Release!

* * * * * 2 votes topspeed tsm billet intake manifold

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

POPULAR

I am beyond proud to introduce to the entire industry our all new TSM R35 Billet intake manifold!!!

I feel there are a lot of products on the market for these cars that have been produced simply because they would sell. Maybe you have company X who produces a part and then company Y decides they want a share of that market so they come out with a similar or exact part. I want to make it very clear off the bat that this was not the reasoning behind commissioning an all new intake manifold to be designed.

This market and the leaps and bounds of advancement we are all making is frankly astonishing and unparalleled in models that preceded the R35. Every single year the bar is raised as the top shops in the world seem to continue to find new ways to push the limits beyond what any of us could imagine. That said, a couple years ago I began to be concerned about a few key parts to our big builds that I personally felt were not optimal when pushing the absolute limit of every little orifice in this 6 cylinder engine.

The further we push the smaller the margin of error becomes in a plethora of parts that we bolt on these engines. Where a few years ago small inconsistencies or a lack of optimization might have not shown detrimental sings of reliability and performance, I no longer believe that is the case. I am supremely confident that as we continue to push these cars that they’re demands will far surpass what simply “works”.

Two years ago I sat down with a man I consider a “grandfather” to the industry (sorry Keith). I often feel the import performance world does not realize or respect the level of expertise that has been gleaned over the years by the people who laid the groundwork for the performance industry. I informed the guys at Wilson about the aforementioned worries of mine along with the characteristics I would like to both promote and avoid. I was very clear that if we were just going to create another option that I did not want to pursue it. Return on investment in a situation as complicated as a proper intake manifold when catering to a market as small as the GT-R is a very difficult thing to achieve. Producing something with the same troubling characteristics was not something I was interested in.

I’m sure a lot of you have never  heard of Wilson manifolds. Keith is one of those old school racers who doesn’t have an updated website, doesn’t post all over facebook or social media, him and his team just design and produce products for some of the most badass projects on the planet. To give you a little glimpse the guys at Wilson have designed and produced for companies like GM Racing, Ford, Mopar, TRD, Edelbrock, Dart, Fast Comp, Profiler, RIVA and more. They have been building NASCAR manifolds for winning teams for just over 35 years. Over 20 NHRA ProStock Championships have been won with the assistance and products from Wilson. They have wins and or championships in NASCAR, IMSA, GRAND AM, TRANS AM, FUNNY CAR, ARCA you name it! Their manifolds are on many Offshore boat racing teams including the multi year champion Miss Geico boat. Their manifold is on the fastest piston car in the world holding a load speed record. The list goes on and on. ALL of that over their 35+ year span has been designed and manufactured 100% in house. To say this company knows that they are doing is an understatement of epic proportions!

Long story long, Keith and the engineers at Wilson agreed and we went to work. When I say two years of straight development I am not kidding at all. I sent the first stock manifold along with a long block to them in November of 2016, and we have not stopped chasing perfection since.

Through this process I’ve learned a lot about production, machining, and the processes involved. I think the biggest thing I came to realize is that there is the best way to do something, and an easy way to do something when it comes to developing a product with this level of precision and intricacy. Completing a project of this nature has been an eye opening experience that has granted me deeper insight to where corners are cut in all realms of the manufacturing world.

Our first objective for this product was to ensure that everything was in complete balance for the engines sake. While I wanted to increase flow over the rest of the market share this was not our primary objective. After years of taking these cars apart and tuning them in house we have seen the variations in things like EGTs, air to fuel ratios per cylinder, and fueling patterns. This manifold’s primary goal was to unify the engine’s power making components and to eliminate variables that will cause issues as we continue to push the platform.

Essentially we designed all the features of this product inside out. We (mostly Wilson LOL) formed the plenums, runners, and fuel spray angles all for maximized efficiency based all on Wilson’s prior knowledge. Then they started working on how to make everything fit, function, and fasten together practically. We designed the entire manifold around the massive runner sections, designed the angles at which the injectors would spray, then figured out how to make the 3rd fuel rail work with design of the injector ports, and then had to come up with a solution on how to bolt everything together. We took zero easy roads when it came time to maximize consistency and performance!
So what does all of that mean in the end? It means bringing a new option to the market for people who want the maximum effort put towards the longevity and future of the R35 industry.

Below are some key features that we’re most proud of:

• + or - LESS than 2% distribution of airflow between all 6 cylinders.

We tested flow characteristics not just through a head but out of the bottom of the valves on a perfectly CNCed head at a variety of pressure ratios and refined them to be within less than 2% of one another at any given boost pressure. You may not have much to compare this to, however we went through great length to accomplish this single feat.This means more consistent tunability and less likelihood of lean/rich conditions causing loss of power or detonation.

• Injector positioning and angle optimized for fuel atomization into the cylinder

This point is a big deal. The injector placement and firing angles on all other 12 injector manifold on the market favor the lower plenum wall vs the cylinder itself. To the extent that if after running your car for a while you pull your manifold you will find trails of witness marks showing where the fuel has hit the lower plenum, collected and then run into the cylinder as almost a stream instead of a spray. This unfortunately causes inconsistent fueling, hot spots, loss power, and ultimately an environment for detonation.

• O-ring technology inlaid throughout the manifold

This means deleting the need for any gaskets or replacements ever. Our manifold includes extra o-rings in case of damage or loss, but you can remove and replace the manifold for injector cleaning, spark plug replacement, engine testing, and never have to worry about ordering gaskets.
Dowel design to ensure no chafing or boost leaks occur from the upper to lower manifold

• 7-10% increased CFM through the same head package compared to competitors
  • The only manifold tested that didn’t decrease flow through the valve port
  • Just like in Wilson's Nascar manifolds this design was optimized for larger head ports and or added displacement. It was not designed around the factory head technology or specific engine displacement.
  • Manifold runner design not independently but rather a continuation of the cylinder head in which it must work with to provide even, increased flow.
  • Port line of sight is preserved as much as possible for a crossover port - as compared to stock manifold and other aftermarket
  • 6061 T6 luminum construction, 5-axis CNC precision machined
  • 316 stainless steel hardware
  • Splayed bolt pattern assembly for maximum strength and alignment
  • All access to fasteners during assembly thought out to be easy and straightforward
  • Intricate fuel rail design for increased flow and even distribution with optimally angled injectors
  • -4 ORB bosses configurable to customers specifications or with standard packaging
  • 14mm Motec IAT acceptance with no modification
  • -12 crossover tube included with low profile fittings and black nylon lines
  • 75mm throttle body opening with o-ring seal no gasket needed
  • Optional adaptor plates for factory throttle bodies
  • Standard anodized clear finish with optional color choices

After two years dedication, countless time, and money invested I can say I could not be more proud of what we have created. The performance, design, quality, and unparalleled beauty under the hood is something I am honored to call a TopSpeed Motorsports product!

This dyno test was done by swapping only intake manifolds throughout the course of a day while the car remained strapped to the dyno.  We never even unstrapped the car.   ZERO tuning adjustments were made between samples.   We tested the best known intake manifolds on the market on a 67mm car making about 40psi of boost back to back to back.    We then took the highest of those and compared it to our manifold toward the end of the day.   I honestly could not be more proud of the results.  Not only does our new product allow the ability for safer more precise tuning and increased safety, it also makes power!

169AA8F4-D425-451B-8EFE-4ADDB755BE3E_zps

-Production of the first 20 units is currently in process
-Currently accepting deposits.
-Retail Pricing: $9,495.00

See below for some of the detailed pictures of the unique key features:

RLB_7424c_zpsnhs0opmc.jpg

RLB_7616c_zpskly6mcxu.jpg

RLB_7619C_zpsqik5oerg.jpg

RLB_7478_zpsdeny56lw.jpg

RLB_7592_zpsetdo3frl.jpg

RLB_7599_zpst8nx544n.jpg

20190202_JI_GTRWC_0854_zps0dyargxv.jpg

20190202_JI_GTRWC_0861_zpsjzs5gffb.jpg

20190202_JI_GTRWC_0849_zpsrxqnh6c6.jpg

RLB_6950_zps9xfrxfit.jpg

• Tim, celsius, 7racer and 5 others like this

~Cicio

***TOP THREE TSM 1/4 MILE***
-7.37 & 198
-7.47@194
-7.59@189
***TOP THREE TSM 1/2 MILE***
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

-OneLap of America Overall 1st Place - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
-TX2K13 Overall 1st Place | TX2K13 Class 2 1st Place
-Shootout 2015 Overall 1st Place & 2nd Place
-TX2K15 Class 4 2nd Place | TX2K15 Roll Race 1st Place SS
-FL2K 2015 Overall 1st Place
-TSM ELITE Plus Stock Frames @ 7.98@169
-Standing Half Mile Stock Frame Turbo Record @ 209 TSM ELITE

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
Call: 678-297-7770
cicio@topspeedmotorsports.com
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

celsius

celsius

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 394 posts
  • Joined 31-December 12
Amazing work from Wilson! Congratulations TSM for raising the bar on intake manifold performance!

I must’ve missed it, but which TBs are recommended for maximum efficiency?

Edited by celsius, 15 February 2019 - 04:21 PM.

TSM Elite Prime (4125lbs w/Audiophile sound / AC, etc.)

1426 AWHP

8.75 @ 163MPH Tx2k19

190MPH Roll Race @ Tx2k19

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
We have used AT Power, AMS and Factory. All work well under 1500whp
  • celsius likes this

~Cicio

-7.37 & 198
-7.47@194
-7.59@189
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,233 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Need that dyno data Cicio! ;-)

I'm particularly interested in how this compares with the jcr manifold, as that has a similar emphasis on equal flow and was developed alongside experienced motorsports engineers.

Have you tested them back to back?

Dave
  • mikelmarion likes this

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

Need that dyno data Cicio! ;-)

I'm particularly interested in how this compares with the jcr manifold, as that has a similar emphasis on equal flow and was developed alongside experienced motorsports engineers.

Have you tested them back to back?

Dave

No sir I have not back to backed it with the JCR.

I have never had the desire to even test the JCR honestly as I don’t think at higher power it would work.

I have tested it back to back with all of the most popular manifolds however yes.

This graph represents the highest HP manifold that we tested VS ours. Four in total. The car was never even pulled off the dyno during the manifold swaps, the tune was not changed, all done in the same day. In fact, we did ours last which meant it was in the worst air of the day. (If you wanna split hairs)

169AA8F4-D425-451B-8EFE-4ADDB755BE3E_zps
  • Tim, celsius, 7racer and 1 other like this

~Cicio

-7.37 & 198
-7.47@194
-7.59@189
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

celsius

celsius

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 394 posts
  • Joined 31-December 12
Thanks for all the transparency Nathan! Dyno graph clearly shows “real” gains in the mid-to-Top end ranges that the manifold provides!

Edited by celsius, 17 February 2019 - 04:03 PM.

• Tim likes this

TSM Elite Prime (4125lbs w/Audiophile sound / AC, etc.)

1426 AWHP

8.75 @ 163MPH Tx2k19

190MPH Roll Race @ Tx2k19

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,345 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Dammm dude you have put some R&D in this and it shows.....Kudos!!!!! Like Celsius said thanks for the transparency.
  • celsius likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 435 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
That's one beautiful engine piece! Impressive results.
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,233 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Dyno data looks cool.

As with all manifolds I am left wondering about the cfd analysis that was done to ensure equal flow. Can you release any of that, or speak to how equal flow across various pressures and flow rates was tested and achieved?

Thanks,

Dave

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,072 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

POPULAR

Dyno data looks cool.

As with all manifolds I am left wondering about the cfd analysis that was done to ensure equal flow. Can you release any of that, or speak to how equal flow across various pressures and flow rates was tested and achieved?

Thanks,

Dave

Unfortunately I can not give out this info.  Part of the contract I signed with Wilson was that all R&D information would not be publicized.  I actually fought that a little but in the end I lost.   Keith explained to me that the way the test is so much different than his competitors that it would be giving away far too much information to give it out.  

We are talking about a guy who has taught CFD and even debunked a lot of really smart peoples pretty CFD pictures because there is no reality to them once you install them an a 10,000RPM air pump.    

I wish I could give out more but I can't.   All I can do is tell you that we are real world less than +-2% across all runners and no other manifold we tested even comes close to those numbers. 

• Tim, celsius, 7racer and 2 others like this

~Cicio

-7.37 & 198
-7.47@194
-7.59@189
-225.9 MPH
-221.3 MPH
-219.5 MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg
TopSpeedMotorsports.com
**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18

Beautiful piece!!!! 

• Data likes this

Data

Data

Stock

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 19-July 18

+2.8% Peak HP and +3.1% Peak Torque and a nice little layer of juice all along the range... Dope!

• 7racer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: topspeed, tsm, billet, intake manifold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users