Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Test day at Buttonwillow in Valkyrie Autosport’s GT-R!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
My wife and I have been in talks with Valkyrie Autosport about joining their endurance team for a few races this year. They invited us out to Buttonwillow for a test day so we could check out the car, and make sure that we could turn the kind of laps needed to compete in their class. Our main goal for the year is to run with them at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill, which is one of the biggest non-professional races in the world. Valkyrie has run the event several times and had a class win a few years back in a 350z.

Their GT-R is well put together. It’s gutted and caged like ours, however it has MCS coilovers, Stoptech endurance style front brakes, and a mild aero package from Aeromotions. One interesting thing is that the car is detuned to 350whp to meet classing rules. The lack of power also keeps temps in check and reliability is increased as well. When you’re racing 25 hours straight every bit helps!

We settled in well and came up to speed quickly in their car, although we had never been to Buttonwillow before so there was quite a learning curve. After a couple of sessions I went ahead and gave it the beans for a few laps, the result was a solid time that was only 2 secs off their fastest driver. By the end of the day my wife had cut her times down dramatically and finished the day not far off.

Here are some pics!
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

POPULAR

Pics:

Attached Images

• 75A61E89-FF14-4B6A-BD29-D944AB7BDD5E.jpeg
  • 6D1678B2-2DF3-48EA-A000-09D2C93BFB0E.jpeg
  • B56244A8-8A8C-4503-93A1-F5FEEED1B41E.jpeg
  • 5CB56728-7104-4495-9DE1-B0CA68519847.jpeg
  • 16DBBDA3-6525-4BB8-B377-09DAE47D29E6.jpeg
  • 3CE6FFF6-B48F-4E0E-A48E-BBFB1FA608EE.jpeg

Edited by elf_cruiser, 07 February 2019 - 07:50 PM.

• forty-two, 7racer, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,248 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Nice dude!! What sort of times were you turning? And what tyres?

Dave

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Nice dude!! What sort of times were you turning? And what tyres?

Dave

My best was a 2:00.6 on config 1 clockwise and my first time at the track. The car builder turned a 1:58.1 and he’s got thousands of laps there over the last 10+ years. The tires are Toyo RR’s which are a street legal DOT slick, not a full race slick. The mechanical grip was not quite what I’m used to with Pirelli slicks, but the aero and suspension on their car made up for the lack of rubber. I was a bit cautious through the bus stop, riverside, and the esses. Those 3 spots were the places I lost time. Another day of seat time and I’m sure I could be right there.

Have you run 1cw with your car?

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,715 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

thats soooo cool!

is the car still AWD?  How is it driving around with 350hp!!! I'm surprised the car is considered competitive as we have a weight penalty no?

and I have that steering wheel!  Must be running Motec, how did you like it?

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

thats soooo cool!

is the car still AWD? How is it driving around with 350hp!!! I'm surprised the car is considered competitive as we have a weight penalty no?

and I have that steering wheel! Must be running Motec, how did you like it?

Yes, the powertrain is totally stock and has over 50k original miles on it. This car is actually one class below mine due to the power difference, however the other mods probably make it just as fast around any given track. It has a really interesting tune that was able to keep TQ near the factory levels but drop the HP. So, it drives off the corner similarly to a stock GT-R, but then it just gives up. It doesn’t keep pulling like we are all used to. It just means that you have to find time in different places on the track and you can’t rely on straightaway speed to save your lap haha.

As for the Motec wheel, it’s just doing gauges and datalogging. The factory ecu is intact and tuned with Cobb. The steering wheel is connected to the CAN bus for all of the gauges and lap timer, etc. but it doesn’t control anything on the car. I think they went that route in order to get rid of the dash and all the electronics. I did like the feel of the wheel and having the paddles attached, however it was a but more of a workout since the diameter is much smaller than stock. Gonna need to hit the gym before our first race!
  • 7racer likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,248 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

My best was a 2:00.6 on config 1 clockwise and my first time at the track. The car builder turned a 1:58.1 and he’s got thousands of laps there over the last 10+ years. The tires are Toyo RR’s which are a street legal DOT slick, not a full race slick. The mechanical grip was not quite what I’m used to with Pirelli slicks, but the aero and suspension on their car made up for the lack of rubber. I was a bit cautious through the bus stop, riverside, and the esses. Those 3 spots were the places I lost time. Another day of seat time and I’m sure I could be right there.

Have you run 1cw with your car?

I haven't no, only ever run 13cw, which is similar except you take the sweeper before the eases instead of star corner, so it's shorter.

My pb there is 1:55.3 with stock car and OEM NR1 tyres. It sounds like you're on the pace and then some! Congrats, and bring your car next time!

Dave 0f264130c09f1c06b02101cd0681d639.jpg38542dc71433bd9b790562a88885dca7.jpg
  • 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Right on, man! I’m not sure how much time the Star corner adds to the lap so it’s tough to compare. As for tires I rate the Dunlops very high after driving on them a couple of times. They’re almost as good as a DOT slick, probably within a couple of secs per lap if the tires were the same size. I’m sure you’re getting over 1G lateral in your car, just need to do some datalogging and see how it looks!

Cheers!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,248 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Right on, man! I’m not sure how much time the Star corner adds to the lap so it’s tough to compare. As for tires I rate the Dunlops very high after driving on them a couple of times. They’re almost as good as a DOT slick, probably within a couple of secs per lap if the tires were the same size. I’m sure you’re getting over 1G lateral in your car, just need to do some datalogging and see how it looks!

Cheers!

I have a couple of sessions of data waiting on my aim to pull out and have a look at. Need to snag a windows vm from somewhere so I can run the shitty software though. Computers suck.

Did you get data from your lap? Would love to compare.

Dave

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
I did! I’ll pm you my email address and you can send me your DRK files. I can run the comparison and give you some feedback.
And yes, the software isn’t the best - but it’s entry level stuff and priced accordingly. The bitchin Motec stuff is 10x the cost.
  • 7racer likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,248 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

I did! I’ll pm you my email address and you can send me your DRK files. I can run the comparison and give you some feedback.
And yes, the software isn’t the best - but it’s entry level stuff and priced accordingly. The bitchin Motec stuff is 10x the cost.

Sweet! Now I gotta work out how to get the drk files off, lol. Aim has been sitting in the car since the last track day.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users