Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Broke something in the Trans. Got this code.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 410 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
When I had this issue I got the "T/M system malfunction" message as well as "engine system malfunction" message and "service engine soon" light.

Is this normal? The engine messages worried me but maybe they show up in conjunction with trans error codes and malfunctions?
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

When I had this issue I got the "T/M system malfunction" message as well as "engine system malfunction" message and "service engine soon" light.

Is this normal? The engine messages worried me but maybe they show up in conjunction with trans error codes and malfunctions?

Most likely the ECU code is just the "hey something is wrong with your transmission". One of the reasons most modern cars will light up the entire dash for a single fault, it's every system reporting a code that there is a problem with another system.

• 7racer and socalaviator like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 410 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Most likely the ECU code is just the "hey something is wrong with your transmission". One of the reasons most modern cars will light up the entire dash for a single fault, it's every system reporting a code that there is a problem with another system.

Thanks Jared. I figured it was something along those lines as I can't imagine anything went wrong with the engine. Engines sounds good, idles well and no ECM DTC codes pop up in Ecutek in regards to the engine.

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 410 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
I rolled my car down my sloped driveway in neutral this morning and heard some noises from trans/rear area. Sounded like grinding noise. Could this still be a gear or shift fork?

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

I rolled my car down my sloped driveway in neutral this morning and heard some noises from trans/rear area. Sounded like grinding noise. Could this still be a gear or shift fork?

Less likely a fork, more likely either a FWD transfer gear, FWD output shaft, or still a broken gear and it's got bits dropped just right that the output shaft is churning away on the teeth.

• 7racer likes this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 410 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Less likely a fork, more likely either a FWD transfer gear, FWD output shaft, or still a broken gear and it's got bits dropped just right that the output shaft is churning away on the teeth.

Thanks Jared

We'll find out soon enough but I thought that was interesting. Very light noise.

Now that I think back, I remember a customer of the shop showed up one day and had a broken gear. I think I heard similar noises.

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 410 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
UPDATE: It was 3rd gear that broke. This gear definitely saw the most abuse since my build.

PPG 2-6 and drop gears being installed by Shep as we speak.

Will the PPG gearset be able to handle rolling launch at around 1100whp and 900 torque? Or is it better to never use it?

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,370 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
You’ll be fine. Just remember it puts stress on the trans and turbos.
  • socalaviator likes this
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 410 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

You’ll be fine. Just remember it puts stress on the trans and turbos.

Thanks for chiming in. I was aware of the extra stress but not sure of there was any "recommended limit" to it's use. I really want to just use it against one guy haha

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,370 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Yeah no worries - lol it’s addictive so be careful. Same G’s as launching the car from a dead stop lol.

Have fun and of course video it ;)
  • socalaviator likes this
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13

Its fine to do rolling launch, the gears aren't as beat as the clutch, turbos and exhaust valves with rolling launch. Just don't hold it more than 5 seconds before launching. Check with your tuner as well, if its very aggressively setup you won't want to stay on it for more than 3 seconds.

The harsh transition from loaded to unloaded is what really beats the gears, and since the gear is technically loaded on rolling boost, you aren't hitting the "weak" point of the gears.

• 7racer and socalaviator like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 4 Member

• 410 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Its fine to do rolling launch, the gears aren't as beat as the clutch, turbos and exhaust valves with rolling launch. Just don't hold it more than 5 seconds before launching. Check with your tuner as well, if its very aggressively setup you won't want to stay on it for more than 3 seconds.

The harsh transition from loaded to unloaded is what really beats the gears, and since the gear is technically loaded on rolling boost, you aren't hitting the "weak" point of the gears.

Thanks for the tips. And as you mentioned previously, I will also be upshifting to the next gear before letting off to reduce the gear stress. Now I understand why the road course guys break even aftermarket gear sets.
  • Jared@SFS likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users