Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Broke something in the Trans. Got this code.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Top of 2nd gear around 6k. revs shot up fast after break. Then heard grinding sound and trans won't shift out of 2nd gear. 2nd gear barely moves and makes grinding sound now. Got Trans code P2841-00 "Shift Fork D position circuit/range performance"

Is this what happens when you break a gear? It's a Shep 2.5 Trans build.
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,736 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13

Top of 2nd gear around 6k. revs shot up fast after break. Then heard grinding sound and trans won't shift out of 2nd gear. 2nd gear barely moves and makes grinding sound now. Got Trans code P2841-00 "Shift Fork D position circuit/range performance"

Or a fork.

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Or a fork.

Happy New Year Doug and thanks again for your reply.

Yup. Fork or gear.  Just curious if this error code was common for either scenario.

Why do the Forks break on higher power builds?

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,736 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
How much torque does your car make?

Doug Ross
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

How much torque does your car make?

850 ish on 2 bar map.  It was gradually fed in to help save the gears. I usually drove around with the 750 torque map.  I knew that 850 was playing with fire even though the torque curve was fed in gradually.

I think the addition of sticky tires and boost by gear increased in 2nd gear did her in ;(

Edited by socalaviator, 31 December 2018 - 05:50 PM.

• thehelix112 likes this

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,736 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
You can flex the gear shaft above 800tq which can break the forks or mess up the gears. Pull the pan off and whatever falls out will tell you pretty quick ha.
  • droptopp and socalaviator like this

Doug Ross
Our Online Store

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

You can flex the gear shaft above 800tq which can break the forks or mess up the gears. Pull the pan off and whatever falls out will tell you pretty quick ha.

Haha. Yup. We will see soon enough!

Geno88

Geno88

Stock

• Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

sorry to hear that!

• socalaviator likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,058 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

fe9d3320ef07b1110874a9c73c9feef032020a9b

I'm sorry dude. You have my sympathy. I was there.  THREE  TIMES.

I feel your pain.

Shawn

• 7racer likes this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

fe9d3320ef07b1110874a9c73c9feef032020a9b

I'm sorry dude. You have my sympathy. I was there.  THREE  TIMES.

I feel your pain.

Shawn

Ah geez!! 3 times?!

On aftermarket gears or OEM gears?

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,058 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Ah geez!! 3 times?!

On aftermarket gears or OEM gears?

OEM.  Seals and pressure sensors every time.

I had Forged Performance build it with Dodson Parts until it was faultless.  The second and third times were version 1 sensors from Dodson.  The later ones were flawless.  it seemed.

Shawn

• socalaviator likes this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

OEM.  Seals and pressure sensors every time.

I had Forged Performance build it with Dodson Parts until it was faultless.  The second and third times were version 1 sensors from Dodson.  The later ones were flawless.  it seemed.

Shawn

I see. My weakest link in my build is the OEM gears 2-6 and that's exactly what may have broken. Otherwise the Shep 2.5 Trans is flawless as well.

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,314 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Sorry to hear. Hopefully a fork vs gear.
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

Sounds like a 2nd gear break, once you are in gear its not super common for the shift fork to break, it happens, but most likely the stock gear finally checked out.

Had a customer on a stock block refuse to change driving habits and went through 3 sets of stock gears before finally upgrading the trans to handle his driving(It might have been the only promax/Dodson HD straight cut behind a stock block).

• Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 1 other like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Sorry to hear. Hopefully a fork vs gear.

My wallet hopes the same but part of me is like fuck it. The trans needs to be opened anyways so I might as well fork out the money and replace gears 2-6 so I don't become like one of Jared's customers. haha I'd really like to not have to do this again. At 850 torque and a set of gears I think I may be pretty bulletproof

Sounds like a 2nd gear break, once you are in gear its not super common for the shift fork to break, it happens, but most likely the stock gear finally checked out.

Had a customer on a stock block refuse to change driving habits and went through 3 sets of stock gears before finally upgrading the trans to handle his driving(It might have been the only promax/Dodson HD straight cut behind a stock block).

haha wow. He got really fed up after the 3rd break huh? Straight cut gears.

Shep quoted me a good price for some PPG 2-6 installed. Im already running the PPG 1st gear and shaft.

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Do you guys think there will be any collateral damage inside my trans from a broken gear and/or broken fork? What are the chances?

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

Do you guys think there will be any collateral damage inside my trans from a broken gear and/or broken fork? What are the chances?

Fork, almost never, a 2nd gear break would potentially only destroy things you would be replacing anyway. You might have a damaged oil pipe, but if Shep's parts shelves are like mine, he's got plenty of them from the parts transmissions over the years. Gear speed sensor may have been damaged. If you've managed to damage the shift control body, go buy a lotto ticket.

Also since I didn't mention it, if you make a lot of power, and are on stock gears, avoid high RPM engine braking, at the end of a pull, upshift and get the revs down and then lift. The sudden transition of loaded high power to engine braking causes a basal failure of the gear, and you spit teeth off. Also a lot of down shifts to get the rev match and engine braking can do it(Why stock power road course guys can break gears). That's what my customer loved, the rev match roar.

• Tim, 7racer, droptopp and 1 other like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,203 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Good info Jared!
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 371 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Fork, almost never, a 2nd gear break would potentially only destroy things you would be replacing anyway. You might have a damaged oil pipe, but if Shep's parts shelves are like mine, he's got plenty of them from the parts transmissions over the years. Gear speed sensor may have been damaged. If you've managed to damage the shift control body, go buy a lotto ticket.

Also since I didn't mention it, if you make a lot of power, and are on stock gears, avoid high RPM engine braking, at the end of a pull, upshift and get the revs down and then lift. The sudden transition of loaded high power to engine braking causes a basal failure of the gear, and you spit teeth off. Also a lot of down shifts to get the rev match and engine braking can do it(Why stock power road course guys can break gears). That's what my customer loved, the rev match roar.

Wow. Never knew. Great info for a lot of us. Thanks!

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,314 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Rev match roar - lol - expensive like ;)
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users