Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1000+ WHP crank case VTA, 10 AN fittings, air oil separator

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 4 Member

• 414 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
The 1000+ WHP crank case air oil separator vent to atmosphere market for the GTR is seriously lacking. The ones on the market either have the wrong filter, ugly design, not enough clearance, or not enough volume. I commissioned Gabe @rampage_fab to design a large catch can with 10 AN fittings, baffles, and stainless filling that will drain to the oil dipstick. His prototype is pictured here. Fasteners are grade 5 titanium from @titanium_works1. All in the details. Outstanding work from Gabe as usual. This is a great option for those with 1000+ WHP builds.

Im sure Gabe will post the can on his site soon.

https://www.rampagefab.com

Attached Images

• 126A55EC-6394-40E9-AEC6-542597E4CC78.jpeg
  • 43E7A0EE-16E3-448B-95B8-A6914EB6922E.jpeg
  • 269E15C2-7EDA-4034-B4CC-7C1B18BBFE44.jpeg

Edited by Formidable, 03 December 2018 - 08:59 PM.

• celsius, 7racer and mstaudt2003 like this
2014 Premium | WGP Built Motor 1124 AWHP | Shep 1K | Racing Brake | AMS | Unobtainium | Advan GT | Overtake | Varis | DCTMS | BRIDE | https://instagram.com/formidable_gtr

celsius

celsius

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 303 posts
  • Joined 31-December 12
Looks great! Gabe sure is a fabrication guru!
  • Formidable likes this

J5isalive

J5isalive

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 398 posts
  • Joined 27-September 13

Looks similar to TopSpeed Motorsports with less ports... 

• ghostrider likes this

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 4 Member

• 414 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
I had the TSM can. Don’t be mistaken. This rampage fab can is larger, precisely cut to fit the timing cover to sit deeper with more volume and clearance, has more baffles/internal chambers, with an appropriate filter and cover, and two instead of one mounting bracket, (TSM provides a single bolt hole to mount their can). There are three side 10 AN ports inserted lower to route lines out of the way and one 6 AN port at the bottom for the drain... AND... If it isn’t obvious enough, Gabe’s workmanship and welds are spectacular. Additional pics below.

With that said, if anyone wants my TSM can please send me a PM!

Looks similar to TopSpeed Motorsports with less ports...

Attached Images

• D94716EA-2964-4FE7-A572-F12A5E6C2716.jpeg
  • 3FE37987-7B18-4E18-92A8-05758F7F8929.jpeg

Edited by Formidable, 10 December 2018 - 11:04 AM.

• Tim and 7racer like this
2014 Premium | WGP Built Motor 1124 AWHP | Shep 1K | Racing Brake | AMS | Unobtainium | Advan GT | Overtake | Varis | DCTMS | BRIDE | https://instagram.com/formidable_gtr

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,148 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Yeas Gabe does do nice work!, to bad he works with Riggs! I’m sure there will be a SBD version here soon
  • 7racer, Doug@WGP and Formidable like this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Dv8

Dv8

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

id be pissed if i bought a rampage part then it got branded SBD in any variation.

how it compare to the BL catch can? how big is big enough?

~Dv8

Edited by Dv8, 04 December 2018 - 04:19 PM.

• Tim and Formidable like this

4/28/18 8.81 @163MPH 

Changes Coming| NHRA Licenced GTR 8.5

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 4 Member

• 414 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Volume is a known issue. A few cars running smaller cans have blown oil all over the track, one of which caught fire at a recent event.

Boost logic is a GREAT can for big power. Three things this Rampage can offers for your consideration.

1. This can is bigger.
2. I don’t know how many baffles boost logic puts in their can. More baffles help with collecting oil, which means less oil in the engine bay. I have seen the interior of this can. There are SEVERAL baffles stuffed with stainless mesh.
3. Style. This can has all side ports. BL has one front mounted which makes it difficult to hide the line. The other style point is the cover. Not a huge fan of the BL cover. Gabe mentioned that the covers for this can will be offered in both aluminum and titanium.

id be pissed if i bought a rampage part then it got branded SBD in any variation.

how it compare to the BL catch can? how big is big enough?

~Dv8

• Tim and Dv8 like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 348 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Volume is a known issue. A few cars running smaller cans have blown oil all over the track, one of which caught fire at a recent event.

Boost logic is a GREAT can for big power. Three things this Rampage can offers for your consideration.

1. This can is bigger.
2. I don’t know how many baffles boost logic puts in their can. More baffles help with collecting oil, which means less oil in the engine bay. I have seen the interior of this can. There are SEVERAL baffles stuffed with stainless mesh.
3. Style. This can has all side ports. BL has one front mounted which makes it difficult to hide the line. The other style point is the cover. Not a huge fan of the BL cover. Gabe mentioned that the covers for this can will be offered in both aluminum and titanium.

Where did the oil blow out from?
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

Dv8

Dv8

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

1. This can is bigger.

But how big of a can is really needed?

How much pressure gets past the rings ON A HEALTHY MOTOR SEEING 35+psi at 9krpm? Is it really that much??

Y does T1/AMS still use a sealed method on the high hp cars? I know the intake pulls vacuum on the can. Still seem less safe that a full VTA.

~Dv8

4/28/18 8.81 @163MPH 

Dv8

Dv8

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13
Also, where’s the drain back tube is Rampages setup?

4/28/18 8.81 @163MPH 

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 4 Member

• 414 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Not sure on the exact details regarding the blow outs. Just heard second hand and immediately scratched off the list. No thanks.

The bigger builds don’t use sealed systems. T1 sells an adjunct to their AOS that is a VTA that attaches to the front bumper beam.

The return is a 6AN port lined to a modified dipstick with a 6AN side port located at the distal end.
  • Dv8 and CasualObserver like this

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18

Removing all TSM items from your car?  This can looks nice.  The welds and fabrication look top notch.  I guess I would just like something to look more different than whats out there already.  This does look very similar to TSM and BL.  Most prob wouldn't notice any difference.  

Also, does the left mounting bracket look a bit crooked.  Maybe it's just because it's the prototype.  

The square corners make the overall feel a bit too "shoebox" for me.  

In this day and age, shouldn't all this stuff be finely ball milled billet aluminum, or at least "formed" aluminum sheet with  nice shapes?  Box and Pan stuff seems kinda 'old world' these days.....

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 4 Member

• 414 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
The TSM can has a foam filter. The can had oil on top of the cover when it was removed. It had one bolt holding it to the timing cover and the can never sat level in the engine bay. It always sat crooked to one side due to the tension of the lines. It didn’t clear my titanium radiator pipe. Metal on metal contact with that pipe and the timing cover due to vibration, (one bracket and a few rubber lines makes for an impressive rattle), and oil visibly on top of the can was reason enough for me to remove it. Did it do it’s job? Yes. Could be it be done better? Absolutely.

Agree. I really liked my old T1 CNC machined AOS. The AMS can is also machined and beautiful. Both of these are unfortunately sealed systems that require VTA adjuncts on big builds... which make them entirely useless paper weights. No one seems to want to invest in designing a proper can. So this is what we are left with.

Removing all TSM items from your car? This can looks nice. The welds and fabrication look top notch. I guess I would just like something to look more different than whats out there already. This does look very similar to TSM and BL. Most prob wouldn't notice any difference.

Also, does the left mounting bracket look a bit crooked. Maybe it's just because it's the prototype.

The square corners make the overall feel a bit too "shoebox" for me.

In this day and age, shouldn't all this stuff be finely ball milled billet aluminum, or at least "formed" aluminum sheet with nice shapes? Box and Pan stuff seems kinda 'old world' these days.....

• gc1000 likes this

Dv8

Dv8

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

Not sure on the exact details regarding the blow outs. Just heard second hand and immediately scratched off the list. No thanks.

The bigger builds don’t use sealed systems. T1 sells an adjunct to their AOS that is a VTA that attaches to the front bumper beam.

The return is a 6AN port lined to a modified dipstick with a 6AN side port located at the distal end.

So Rampage includes the modified dipstick tube like T1 etc?

~Dv8

4/28/18 8.81 @163MPH 

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18

I could make whatever you wanted, just saying.  I'll machine your name into it if you want.  

• Tim, 7racer, elf_cruiser and 1 other like this

wspy

wspy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 251 posts
  • Joined 04-January 13
  • LocationJamaica WI

Now there's an idea  :ponder:

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 4 Member

• 414 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Yes, Gabe is working on providing a modified dipstick with this can.

So Rampage includes the modified dipstick tube like T1 etc?

~Dv8

• Tim likes this

Yme

Yme

Stock

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 31-October 16

Gabe does great work.  I have his FMIC and intercooler piping.

Attached Images

• 47386142_1138973319587476_2358515027842957312_n.jpg

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18

Beautiful!

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,012 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

This is a beautiful piece but with all due respect I think saying it is superior to our can in every way is very presumptuous.  

We took 3 years designing out can, I have all kinds of data from half mile crank case pressure on setups as high as 1800hp.   We tested, redid, tested, redid, tested some more and 90% of the tech this can you had built utilizes came directly from ours. 

Again, no biggie, great looking piece.  It looks nicer than our older cans like you have and you are correct ours doesn't fit with a titanium radiator hose.  

Like I said on Facebook I'm not calling anyone out for copying or wining about it, but until it's tested and there is data provided I don't think it is right that "better than the TSM one in every way" is just thrown around.   

Aside form all that I will say again that it looks great! 

• ghostrider and socalaviator like this

~Cicio

-OneLap of America Overall 1st Place - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

-TX2K13 Overall 1st Place | TX2K13 Class 2 1st Place

-Shootout 2015 Overall 1st Place & 2nd Place

-TX2K15 Class 4 2nd Place | TX2K15 Roll Race 1st Place SS

-FL2K 2015 Overall 1st Place

-TSM Shop Car (ETS Pro1900) @ 7.37 & 198

-Fastest Customer @ 7.52@192

-TSM ELITE Plus Stock Frames @ 7.98@169

-Standing Half Mile Stock Frame Turbo Record @ 209 TSM ELITE

-Standing Half Mile 225.9 MPH