Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quick Track Prep

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,600 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Much appreciated everyone!

Studs/spacers - appreciate the heads up - planned on swapping out to the ARP coarse thread studs that were recommended in another thread here. Will not skimp on spacers if I do end up needing them as well.

Wheels - been going back and forth quite a bit on the bbk and wheel fitment with the manufacturers the last few days & looks like 18” will work like elf cruiser said. Was recommended ET25 as well. So planning on 18x11 with Nitto NT01 in 305/35/18. Shouldn’t have to run a spacer in the rear and should be okay in the front with this offset, right?

I think so....have you looked at Finspeed?

In7anity!!

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

I think so....have you looked at Finspeed?

Yeah really like the F110 - talked with them a little before New Years but need to bug them again. Really cool they are around Austin now.

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15
Am I doing myself a disservice by going with a steel vs carbon ceramic bbk? With the Essex AP racing Radi-CAL kit I know what I get - the track record of performance, fits 18s, quick pad swaps, some weight loss. I’m honestly not that familiar with carbon ceramics - I know you get the great weight savings. Performance wise? Fade resistance? Recommended set ups to look at? Will be doing front and rear.

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,938 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
If you can afford them then carbon is the way to go! You’ll need massive amounts of cooling which will need to be custom made. There aren’t any good brake cooling solutions for the GT-R that just bolt on. I’ve done a lot of fab work on mine over the years to cool the steel brakes enough for sprint racing. Carbon needs even more because they run hotter than steel.
Or I suppose you could just buy new rotors every few track days before they wear too much.

If it were me, I would be thinking pretty hard about which car is going to be your serious track machine. $20k in carbon brakes would go a long way if you spent it on the beemer instead!
  • GT-R2D2 likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

If you can afford them then carbon is the way to go! You’ll need massive amounts of cooling which will need to be custom made. There aren’t any good brake cooling solutions for the GT-R that just bolt on. I’ve done a lot of fab work on mine over the years to cool the steel brakes enough for sprint racing. Carbon needs even more because they run hotter than steel.
Or I suppose you could just buy new rotors every few track days before they wear too much.

If it were me, I would be thinking pretty hard about which car is going to be your serious track machine. $20k in carbon brakes would go a long way if you spent it on the beemer instead!

Awesome - greatly appreciate the feedback.  Without addressing the cooling is there a concern you could potentially cook the CCMs on the track or is it just the issue with increased wear?  Cooling to the front & rears, right?  Haven't really looked into it but not sure I want to carve into this car like that at this point.  I know steels would benefit from getting air to them also - but would they typically hold up better to the heat than the carbons without the added cooling?

M3 is still going to be the main track choice.  Since I'm adding a little speed to the gtr though just want to make sure I have the braking covered as well.  But yeah 20k would go a long ways on the bmw instead!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Am I doing myself a disservice by going with a steel vs carbon ceramic bbk? With the Essex AP racing Radi-CAL kit I know what I get - the track record of performance, fits 18s, quick pad swaps, some weight loss. I’m honestly not that familiar with carbon ceramics - I know you get the great weight savings. Performance wise? Fade resistance? Recommended set ups to look at? Will be doing front and rear.

Having now destroyed two sets of carbon brakes for the GT-R, DO NOT get carbon brakes unless you do the cooling.

I LOVED my carbon brakes, but for hard track use, the consumable expense is quite high if you can't keep them cool.

Shawn

• thehelix112 and elf_cruiser like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users