Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quick Track Prep

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

lol uh oh......

btw who else was running in your group?

Well you know I probably ought to be prepared in case this situation ever happens again.  Seems like the responsible thing to do...

Really not a whole lot to note in my group.  A couple of pretty stout BMW F8x's, a well sorted E36 that wore out my bumper through the twisty parts, fbo gtr that I was never in the same place at the same time as.  The standout was a gorgeous Aston Martin that blew my doors off a couple of times.  Other than that really not that much.  I was only in intermediate since I'm still very new to tracking but the advanced wasn't quite what I was expecting either.  The first time I was there in October for the edge addicts event it was like a freaking car show.

AM_zpsx8rqb9zl.jpg

• Tim, 7racer and thehelix112 like this

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

Would a square setup of 285/35/20 Nitto NT01s on the oem wheels be a decent setup?  Different widths of the wheels cause any issues?  Better than the 285/345 MP4S setup would think?

Have a little footage of a car behind me at COTA - the body roll is serious with this one.

VDC off - is it really a warranty issue?  Is it just if something happens during the time it was off?  Really enjoy running with the nannies turned off in my M3 - wondering if this is something to even consider in the GTR at this point (due to warranty).

Thanks!

• shawnhayes likes this

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stage 1 Member

• 113 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17
  • LocationEast Valley, Phoenix

Nice clean lap........ I am thinking mid / upper 2:30s  for time. A driving coach would make big improvements ...... He showed me the quick line and shaved 10 seconds off my time.

• 7racer likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,085 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Would a square setup of 285/35/20 Nitto NT01s on the oem wheels be a decent setup?  Different widths of the wheels cause any issues?  Better than the 285/345 MP4S setup would think?

Have a little footage of a car behind me at COTA - the body roll is serious with this one.

VDC off - is it really a warranty issue?  Is it just if something happens during the time it was off?  Really enjoy running with the nannies turned off in my M3 - wondering if this is something to even consider in the GTR at this point (due to warranty).

Thanks!

That setup of NT01's - yes great setup.  No problems with different width wheels.  I think they are better than the MP4S

The body roll of the GT-R varies year to year.  The 2009's were pretty good, but understeer was terrible.  Sway's help a lot.

VDC off is a problem for launches in the pre-2012 cars ONLY.  The warranty issues were for "VDC Stall Start" - (launch).  They were launched over and over and over killing the transmissions.  LC2 made it not so violent, and for 2012 ups, there is a very advanced launch control logic and a forced cool down after a certain number of launches.

Shawn

• Tim, thehelix112 and GT-R2D2 like this

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

If I add sway bars would there be any advantage of going with a 285/35 & 315/30 NT01 stagger on the oem wheels  (27.87" x 27.48" OD) vs the 285/35 square setup.  Can use the sways to work out any understeer the stagger might introduce?  And then have the benefit of the larger tire in the rear?

Or am I looking at this wrong?

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,085 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

If I add sway bars would there be any advantage of going with a 285/35 & 315/30 NT01 stagger on the oem wheels  (27.87" x 27.48" OD) vs the 285/35 square setup.  Can use the sways to work out any understeer the stagger might introduce?  And then have the benefit of the larger tire in the rear?

Or am I looking at this wrong?

The advantage of larger rear tires is to add lateral grip.  Makes the car more stable in a straight line, and is MOST useful in a drag mode.

Sways work by REDUCING grip by tying the wheels together one side vs. the other.

NO advantage to FIXING better grip with bigger sway bars other than reducing tire wear (this DOES work, honestly).  I did a 285 square setup with Forged Performance bars (the biggest that can be purchased to my knowledge) and it made the car very balanced with very good tire wear (except for the rear inside on very abrasive tracks). 

Whatever you do, you make DAMN sure you roll out the tires to make sure they have the same outer diameter with very little difference.  Measurements on Tire Rack are not good enough.  Many a FWD unit destroyed from this mistake on a GT-R.  I do not know about the NT01's in those sizes if they are close enough.  Can't tell without a roll out according to my sources.

Shawn

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

The advantage of larger rear tires is to add lateral grip.  Makes the car more stable in a straight line, and is MOST useful in a drag mode.

Sways work by REDUCING grip by tying the wheels together one side vs. the other.

NO advantage to FIXING better grip with bigger sway bars other than reducing tire wear (this DOES work, honestly).  I did a 285 square setup with Forged Performance bars (the biggest that can be purchased to my knowledge) and it made the car very balanced with very good tire wear (except for the rear inside on very abrasive tracks). 

Whatever you do, you make DAMN sure you roll out the tires to make sure they have the same outer diameter with very little difference.  Measurements on Tire Rack are not good enough.  Many a FWD unit destroyed from this mistake on a GT-R.  I do not know about the NT01's in those sizes if they are close enough.  Can't tell without a roll out according to my sources.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn - that makes sense & is what I was trying to figure out.  285 square it is, have them on the way now.  Thanks!

• 7racer likes this

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15
I’m back... so 285 square NT01s were a big improvement. Also had a pretty open track so felt comfortable switching off vdc - so much better. The GT-R is not going to take the place of my TT3 build that is getting ready to start on my M3 but definitely going to get its share of track time moving forward.

So here’s the plan:
FBO w/E85
DSC controller
SPL bits for that camber
BBK (likely Essex / AP Racing f & r)
Trans cooler (likely HKS)
Dedicated wheels & tires setup

I’m kind of stuck on the wheels and tires right now. Definitely want to run square and would like to to keep the same offset front & rear if possible. Really like the NT01s - would like to stick with them for a bit too. Think 325/30/19s will fit the front? 315s would have to be in 20”. Any recs here? If custom I know there’s forgeline, finspeed, anyone else to look at?

Need to figure out something to hold me in the seat better as well. Stocks seats suck at the track on an 18.
  • 7racer likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,274 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Hey man, sounds like a solid plan.  Lots of discussion here about front tyre sizes.  I think you can squeeze a 315 under the front with stock fenders and upright but it won't be on the ideal rim width.

Re harness, here is the DIY I made a while back: http://www.gtrherita...ge-6#entry74728

Enjoy!

Dave

• GT-R2D2 likes this

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

Hey man, sounds like a solid plan.  Lots of discussion here about front tyre sizes.  I think you can squeeze a 315 under the front with stock fenders and upright but it won't be on the ideal rim width.

Re harness, here is the DIY I made a while back: http://www.gtrherita...ge-6#entry74728

Enjoy!

Dave

That is absolutely perfect - thanks! Actually tried to contact Schroth a couple of weeks ago to see if they had something like what you posted but didn’t get too far. Ordering that exact setup right now - much appreciated!

Yeah I definitely need to keep digging on wheels/tires.

I know the front and rears need to be real close outside diameters - being square that won’t be an issue. But how about what that OD needs to be? Is there a range that the tire OD’s need to fall in? For instance something like they need to be between 26.34 and 27.85 or something like that?

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,740 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

That is absolutely perfect - thanks! Actually tried to contact Schroth a couple of weeks ago to see if they had something like what you posted but didn’t get too far. Ordering that exact setup right now - much appreciated!

Yeah I definitely need to keep digging on wheels/tires.

I know the front and rears need to be real close outside diameters - being square that won’t be an issue. But how about what that OD needs to be? Is there a range that the tire OD’s need to fall in? For instance something like they need to be between 26.34 and 27.85 or something like that?

not really...some of the guys run slicks with smaller diameter.  I road in incarus's car with smaller diameter tires and it gives the car a bit of quickness..  Just as long as they are the same F&R

• GT-R2D2 likes this

In7anity!!

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

not really...some of the guys run slicks with smaller diameter.  I road in incarus's car with smaller diameter tires and it gives the car a bit of quickness..  Just as long as they are the same F&R

Ok great - just wanted to verify before jumping off with certain tires in mind.

So I'm thinking of going with 19x11s - use the correct offset for the front at all four corners with spacers at the rear to get back closer to stock track width.  Go with the Nitto NT01s in 305/30/19 for now - and if want to move into slicks later something like the Hoosier R7 in either 295 or if can get the 315 to fit.  This sound reasonble?  Any issues with spacers on the track?

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,274 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Sounds like a good plan. I think that's very close to what elf does too.

Send us pics as it evolves!
  • GT-R2D2 likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,740 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

also, I have to remember how, but you can get in the MFD and change the MPH offset to take into account different tire sizes to have a more accurate MPH reading.

have to find that thread...

• GT-R2D2 likes this

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,085 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

So I'm thinking of going with 19x11s - use the correct offset for the front at all four corners with spacers at the rear to get back closer to stock track width.  Go with the Nitto NT01s in 305/30/19 for now - and if want to move into slicks later something like the Hoosier R7 in either 295 or if can get the 315 to fit.  This sound reasonble?  Any issues with spacers on the track?

You make damn sure your spacers are the pass through kind, with extended studs, and not the crap kind with studs mounted into them.

Shawn

This.....

2PCS-15mm-5x112-66-5-Wheel-Spacers-suit-

Not this....

cheap_spacers.jpg

Edited by shawnhayes, 01 January 2019 - 06:03 PM.

• thehelix112 and GT-R2D2 like this

forty-two

forty-two

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 756 posts
  • Joined 19-March 13
  • LocationATX

If use spacers, use the longer (ARP) studs to allow pass through of the studs. You should replace the OEM studs anyway, as I have seen many fail on track.

19x11 ET 25 wheels will fit square. Elf_cruiser runs/ran these - not certain of tire widths he ran on these, though.

ATX GTROC on Facebook - link

14492399_1137348429689454_63336591853219

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,002 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Sorry, just saw this! Yes, I ran 19x11’s for years with 205 and 325 Toyo R888’s. Hoosier now makes the R7 for 19’s which would be even better.

Honestly though, I changed to 18” wheels about 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Tons of tire choices, and they’re lighter. Currently I’m running 18x11 Forgestar CF5’s and they hold up pretty well to track abuse. My wife bent one awhile back when she went off track and hit the backside of a curb at speed. It was a hard hit, and probably would have probably bent a full forged wheel too - or broken it.

Cheers, and good luck with the GTR Mods!
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and GT-R2D2 like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,274 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13

Sorry, just saw this! Yes, I ran 19x11’s for years with 205 and 325 Toyo R888’s. Hoosier now makes the R7 for 19’s which would be even better.

Honestly though, I changed to 18” wheels about 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Tons of tire choices, and they’re lighter. Currently I’m running 18x11 Forgestar CF5’s and they hold up pretty well to track abuse. My wife bent one awhile back when she went off track and hit the backside of a curb at speed. It was a hard hit, and probably would have probably bent a full forged wheel too - or broken it.

Cheers, and good luck with the GTR Mods!

205 r888s? 295?
  • GT-R2D2 likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,002 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Typo, haha! 305’s

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15
Much appreciated everyone!

Studs/spacers - appreciate the heads up - planned on swapping out to the ARP coarse thread studs that were recommended in another thread here. Will not skimp on spacers if I do end up needing them as well.

Wheels - been going back and forth quite a bit on the bbk and wheel fitment with the manufacturers the last few days & looks like 18” will work like elf cruiser said. Was recommended ET25 as well. So planning on 18x11 with Nitto NT01 in 305/35/18. Shouldn’t have to run a spacer in the rear and should be okay in the front with this offset, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users