Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quick Track Prep

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15
Hey guys, have a track day this Friday at COTA and looks like my normal track car might not be up for the trip. Any advice to get a stock gtr ready? I know can’t do much in this short of time besides all the fluids good, etc - and don’t really want to since it’s not my main track car - but any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Plan to change the brake fluid to Castrol SRF or similar. Probably don’t have time to get better pads in so oem it is. My 1k POS happens to be tomorrow so will go with the track alignment - don’t expect much out of that but guess every little bit helps. I have 285/345 MP4S on right now. Might try to find some stickier tires in the morning to fit the oem wheels to get closer to square, but again time might get me there too. Any recs on tires to look at to fit the stock wheels? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
  • forty-two and RobChoky like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,174 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
OEM pads aren't that bad imho.

What's your usual track car?

If it's gunna be at the dealer you could ask them to set clutch capacity to +2. Also there is a page in your owners manual about track prep.

The biggest thing will be just keep an eye on the trans coolant temp, esp at a long fast track like cota.

My car is still mostly stock, they're still plenty of fun on track.

Dave

5ive

5ive

Stock

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 29-March 16
  • LocationGermany Hannover

just drive it watch out for coolant temperatures. with 285 on front mp4s you maybe will rub against the front indicator braket or some stuff there. But Tires will be fine pads will be fine just give it an cooldown lap now and then.

Robert

viccaerter

viccaerter

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

OE pads at COTA sounds scary to me since it's one of the most punishing tracks on brakes.  I would expect brake fade and if you are running OE rotors, I would also expect the holes to start cracking.

• thehelix112 likes this

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

Awesome, appreciate the replies.  Will definitely keep an eye on temps and back off as needed.  Spoke with the tech this morning about setting the clutch capacity to +2.  

I normally track an E92 M3 that is slowly being upgraded as I get better behind the wheel.  It's an absolute blast to track.  Just not willing to do the safety upgrades to the GTR that I want in a track car (cage, seats, harnesses, etc.) and have in the M3 that will make it less street friendly.  Will look into some brake upgrades for the occasional day down the line though.  Definitely won't be going for the HPDE Championship Trophy this time around.  

Absolutely know this car is more than capable stock & will be a blast to track as well.  Hope it doesn't ruin me for my M3...

• 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,600 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

why year is your GTR?

the earlier years had issue with oil temps

all years have a bit of an issue with trans...

also search here about filling the tank full...we tend to get gas coming out of the evap canister that might be a fire issue.

otherwise, the car should be awesome and might get you to switch to that car vs your E92 for track days.  I LOVE COTA in the GTR!!!

also Forty-two will probably chime in as he instructs out there all the time.

• GT-R2D2 likes this

In7anity!!

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

why year is your GTR?

the earlier years had issue with oil temps

all years have a bit of an issue with trans...

also search here about filling the tank full...we tend to get gas coming out of the evap canister that might be a fire issue.

otherwise, the car should be awesome and might get you to switch to that car vs your E92 for track days. I LOVE COTA in the GTR!!!

also Forty-two will probably chime in as he instructs out there all the time.

Thank you! I would have 100% showed up with a full tank - had not seen this before. Again thank you!

It’s an 18. I love cota too and love my gtr, so yeah so expect nothing but pure joy together. My E92 is a riot though and progressing nicely to a dedicated track build so it has a place in my heart as well.

Out of curiosity what lap times do you run with that monster you have built? Do you have any videos - can imagine that would be a pretty fun watch.

Thanks!

Edited by GT-R2D2, 28 November 2018 - 06:26 AM.

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stock

• Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17
  • LocationEast Valley, Phoenix

A simple prep is to add brake cooling front  deflectors. Porsche has very inexpensive deflectors used on all GT-3 cars. Front rotor temps will soar unless running in 50 degree weather.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,600 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Thank you! I would have 100% showed up with a full tank - had not seen this before. Again thank you!

It’s an 18. I love cota too and love my gtr, so yeah so expect nothing but pure joy together. My E92 is a riot though and progressing nicely to a dedicated track build so it has a place in my heart as well.

Out of curiosity what lap times do you run with that monster you have built? Do you have any videos - can imagine that would be a pretty fun watch.

Thanks!

lol I have to look... don't remember my best time but there is a guy out there with FBO and slicks that I can't catch!

​I am coming to Austin to look at a company I invested in.  I was going to drive the Tesla but maybe bring the McLaren and head over to COTA on Saturday to watch!  are you in a garage?

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,600 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

wait, are u only on the track Friday?

In7anity!!

forty-two

forty-two

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 756 posts
  • Joined 19-March 13
  • LocationATX

Hey guys, have a track day this Friday at COTA and looks like my normal track car might not be up for the trip. Any advice to get a stock gtr ready? I know can’t do much in this short of time besides all the fluids good, etc - and don’t really want to since it’s not my main track car - but any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Plan to change the brake fluid to Castrol SRF or similar. Probably don’t have time to get better pads in so oem it is. My 1k POS happens to be tomorrow so will go with the track alignment - don’t expect much out of that but guess every little bit helps. I have 285/345 MP4S on right now. Might try to find some stickier tires in the morning to fit the oem wheels to get closer to square, but again time might get me there too. Any recs on tires to look at to fit the stock wheels? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Friday ahead of the races this weekend?

GTR is fun on the track, great out of the slow corners.

Castrol SRF; OEM pads will be fine; track alignment will help, but is insufficient - you’ll understeer lots on your stagger & T2, 6, 8 ,16-18 will kill your left front if you let it push; Unless just learning track, best to go out with less than full tank due to evap; if trans temps start getting high (>250F), short shift & don’t go down to 2nd in slow corners.

FWIW - My track notes here: https://www.trackjun...otes-ccw/page-4

Also, the kart track should be open & is worth doing.
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and GT-R2D2 like this

ATX GTROC on Facebook - link

14492399_1137348429689454_63336591853219

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

Yeah they are having a PDS / HDPE on Friday only & then their races during the weekend.  What better way to spend a Friday though.  I'm in San Antonio so a nice easy day trip.

Castrol SRF is in.  Wish I could have found a more suitable tire setup but couldn't get anything decent in time.  Pretty much figuring on being captain understeer tomorrow, oh well is what it is at this point.  Still going to be a blast.

The track notes are awesome!  Pretty familiar with the track but always have room for improvement on my lines.  Not that I'm great at the others but 19 has been my biggest issue so far.  Been my most inconsistent turn.  Going to study these and see what I can do to improve everywhere else too.  

Appreciate it guys - especially the heads up on not having a full tank!

• 7racer likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Friday ahead of the races this weekend?

GTR is fun on the track, great out of the slow corners.

Castrol SRF; OEM pads will be fine; track alignment will help, but is insufficient - you’ll understeer lots on your stagger & T2, 6, 8 ,16-18 will kill your left front if you let it push; Unless just learning track, best to go out with less than full tank due to evap; if trans temps start getting high (>250F), short shift & don’t go down to 2nd in slow corners.

Listen to this guy above...

Major problem you will see is OEM pads will wear quick.  They brake pretty well, but just wear out so fast.

Both seven and fourty-two's advice on the trans and oil should be followed.  STRONLY suggest that if you're going to track this beast a lot that you get a trans cooler (I'd like to know what trans cooler fourty two has).

Have fun.  GT-R's take to the track like fish to water.

Shawn

forty-two

forty-two

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 756 posts
  • Joined 19-March 13
  • LocationATX

Yeah they are having a PDS / HDPE on Friday only & then their races during the weekend.  What better way to spend a Friday though.  I'm in San Antonio so a nice easy day trip.

Castrol SRF is in.  Wish I could have found a more suitable tire setup but couldn't get anything decent in time.  Pretty much figuring on being captain understeer tomorrow, oh well is what it is at this point.  Still going to be a blast.

The track notes are awesome!  Pretty familiar with the track but always have room for improvement on my lines.  Not that I'm great at the others but 19 has been my biggest issue so far.  Been my most inconsistent turn.  Going to study these and see what I can do to improve everywhere else too.  

Appreciate it guys - especially the heads up on not having a full tank!

I agree with you on T19. Getting through it consistently quick is tough. It’s a very deceptive turn. It’s a great corner to watch during races, esp F1, for you can clearly see when the driver gets it right, and is quick, vs even slightly wrong, and is much slower. The key for me is to gently turn in @ the ~50m board, where there’s a slight compression at the edge of the track if you can find it, and make sure to look as far through the turn as you can...keeping in mind that there’s tons of runoff, & can just open the steering if you get it wrong.

I may try to get out there tomorrow & will look for you if I do....pending my son’s wrestling tournament schedule.
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and GT-R2D2 like this

ATX GTROC on Facebook - link

14492399_1137348429689454_63336591853219

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

I agree with you on T19. Getting through it consistently quick is tough. It’s a very deceptive turn. It’s a great corner to watch during races, esp F1, for you can clearly see when the driver gets it right, and is quick, vs even slightly wrong, and is much slower. The key for me is to gently turn in @ the ~50m board, where there’s a slight compression at the edge of the track if you can find it, and make sure to look as far through the turn as you can...keeping in mind that there’s tons of runoff, & can just open the steering if you get it wrong.

I may try to get out there tomorrow & will look for you if I do....pending my son’s wrestling tournament schedule.

I’m definitely guilty of not looking far enough ahead on that one In particular - probably a big part of my issue with it. Haven’t been able to pick up a good reference point either so hopefully between the light pole from your notes and the 50m board suggestion I’ll find something that works for me this time. I’m pretty familiar with the runoff there :)

White #34 - definitely swing by if you make it out there

Thanks!
  • forty-two, 7racer and thehelix112 like this

btalont

btalont

Stock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 12-December 17

I am dying to get the GTR to COtA! I have driven and instructed on it a few times, but in my NA turbo Miata so the back straight takes a little time.. :)  Have fun and report back!

• 7racer and thehelix112 like this

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

Good day at COTA in the GT-R yesterday.  The car is just a beast even despite the expected understeer.  So much grip and power in just the stock form.  Brakes held out well with just the SRF upgrade - didn't have any fading.  If the traffic was somewhat clear the transmission would hit 250 about half way through a run & would start the suggested short shifting & not dropping down to second the rest of the session.  Coming from a proper 6pt harness setup the sliding around in the seat was a little annoying also as expected - particularly in the long rights

All in all awesome track car & bet it would be incredible after working out the understeer, better brake set up, & being better secured in the seat.  Really would like to experience a well setup GT-R but also don't want to as I'm not quite ruined on my track M3 yet...

Forty-Two - awesome to meet you - appreciate you stopping by & saying hello.  Tried working on your line suggestions and was able to drop my time some more on the only two clean laps I had after we talked.  Really appreciate your's & everyone else's advice!

One of the few clean laps I was able to put in.  Mic setup needs some work...

• forty-two and 7racer like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

All in all awesome track car & bet it would be incredible after working out the understeer, better brake set up, & being better secured in the seat.  Really would like to experience a well setup GT-R but also don't want to as I'm not quite ruined on my track M3 yet...

Hmmm.  Can't help you on brakes.

But I do have in my garage waiting for the right opportunity...

1. Whiteline Front and Rear sway bars with poly bushings (fit OEM attachments)

2. Forged Performance Front and Rear sway bars (much much better, but noisy, but no understeer left)

3. Two Recaro's with six point harness ability, a Titan Motorsports rear roll bar with seatbelt crossbar for wrapping, and Tank Plates for attaching the seatbelts to the floor without drilling.  Recaro's come with custom brackets to fit the GT-R, and slider attachments from Recaro.

Any interest?

Or any interest from any other member?  I've just been too busy this year to list.

GT-R2D2

GT-R2D2

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 04-March 15

Hmmm.  Can't help you on brakes.

But I do have in my garage waiting for the right opportunity...

1. Whiteline Front and Rear sway bars with poly bushings (fit OEM attachments)
2. Forged Performance Front and Rear sway bars (much much better, but noisy, but no understeer left)
3. Two Recaro's with six point harness ability, a Titan Motorsports rear roll bar with seatbelt crossbar for wrapping, and Tank Plates for attaching the seatbelts to the floor without drilling.  Recaro's come with custom brackets to fit the GT-R, and slider attachments from Recaro.

Any interest?

Or any interest from any other member?  I've just been too busy this year to list.

Interested - sending you a pm
  • 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,600 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Interested - sending you a pm

lol uh oh......

btw who else was running in your group?

• GT-R2D2 likes this