Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Race video from NASA AZ at the Bondurant School

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,908 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Hey guys, we had an exciting day yesterday at one of our regional Arizona races. We were at the Bondurant School track, which is very short, narrow, and difficult to pass on. My wife was driving yesterday and didn’t qualify very well, so she was starting 7th behind a few slower cars. She made an epic start, and then fell into a train of traffic for several laps. Once she cleared a pesky Miata (supercharged), she started picking up the pace and had a small off which resulted in some broken parts :(

Enjoy!

• thehelix112, Jared@SFS and TrackFiend like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,556 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

damn!

the start was crazy...watching her shoot that gap was nerve racking.

then passing the Miata was awesome and reeling in the blue BMW was nice!  

but ouch!  did she hit curbing?  Can't tell what happened.

and I remember that track! didn't know you could race that...its tight!  Are they going to keep the tracks open even though Bondurant is in bankruptcy

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,556 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

and 2 great saves BTW

nice driving!

• elf_cruiser and ghostrider like this

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,908 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

damn!

the start was crazy...watching her shoot that gap was nerve racking.
then passing the Miata was awesome and reeling in the blue BMW was nice!

but ouch! did she hit curbing? Can't tell what happened.

and I remember that track! didn't know you could race that...its tight! Are they going to keep the tracks open even though Bondurant is in bankruptcy

Yes, she hit the backside of a curb dead on. Probably a 4-5” ledge, no bueno!
As you mentioned, the track was designed for training and coaching, not wheel-to-wheel racing. She’d have gotten by the Miata easily at any other track.

As for the Bondurant School we’re not sure what will happen next year. There is only one more race this year, and it’s been confirmed, but next year all bets are off. I’m hoping that the Wild Horse Pass operation can take control of the land and keep the tracks operating. They run the 1/4 mile drag strip and other road courses next door.

We have two other large facilities opening in the next few years just outside of town. Both should be very nice, and available for club racing. We’ll see how it goes but there are plenty of reasons to stay optimistic here in AZ.

Cheers! I will pass along the compliments to my wife.
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and shawnhayes like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Yes, she hit the backside of a curb dead on. Probably a 4-5” ledge, no bueno!
As you mentioned, the track was designed for training and coaching, not wheel-to-wheel racing. She’d have gotten by the Miata easily at any other track.

As for the Bondurant School we’re not sure what will happen next year. There is only one more race this year, and it’s been confirmed, but next year all bets are off. I’m hoping that the Wild Horse Pass operation can take control of the land and keep the tracks operating. They run the 1/4 mile drag strip and other road courses next door.

We have two other large facilities opening in the next few years just outside of town. Both should be very nice, and available for club racing. We’ll see how it goes but there are plenty of reasons to stay optimistic here in AZ.

Cheers! I will pass along the compliments to my wife.

That's TWO front diffs you've had go kaplooey my friend.

I'm so sorry.  Excellent driving from the wife though.

Shawn

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,908 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
I got it all torn down and didn’t find anything wrong!! Super weird because the CV joint was very loose and felt broken after the impact. The wheel was bent and rubbing on the upright, which was the noise. I got it all put back together and test drove it today - no more issues!!
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and shawnhayes like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I got it all torn down and didn’t find anything wrong!! Super weird because the CV joint was very loose and felt broken after the impact. The wheel was bent and rubbing on the upright, which was the noise. I got it all put back together and test drove it today - no more issues!!

YAY!

Shawn

Geno88

Geno88

Stock

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18

I'm very impressed!

• elf_cruiser likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,908 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

I'm very impressed!

Thanks! I will pass along the compliment!

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stock

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17
  • LocationEast Valley, Phoenix

Nice save on lap1.........Track is not friendly to GTR...great driving job until  KABOOM...

• 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users