Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Oil consumption on built engines?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 338 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Just curious what you guys are seeing as far as "normal" oil consumption on your built engines.

So far after my first synthetic oil change I'd say I've added 1 quart in 3000 miles with about an ounce ending up in catch can. I keep the oil topped off to the High mark on the dipstick. My builder says it's perfect for his tolerances.
  • Tim likes this
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,110 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Sounds real close to mine as i use about 1/2 quart every 1500 miles. My catch can is so little I don’t even think about it until I change the oil and if I had to guess it’s about a thimble full
  • socalaviator likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 997 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

Just curious what you guys are seeing as far as "normal" oil consumption on your built engines.

So far after my first synthetic oil change I'd say I've added 1 quart in 3000 miles with about an ounce ending up in catch can. I keep the oil topped off to the High mark on the dipstick. My builder says it's perfect for his tolerances.

Anything less than a quart every 1000 is perfectly fine.  It all just depends on how looooossiieee they are built. 

• Tim and socalaviator like this

~Cicio

-OneLap of America Overall 1st Place - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

-TX2K13 Overall 1st Place | TX2K13 Class 2 1st Place

-Shootout 2015 Overall 1st Place & 2nd Place

-TX2K15 Class 4 2nd Place | TX2K15 Roll Race 1st Place SS

-FL2K 2015 Overall 1st Place

-TSM Shop Car (ETS Pro1900) @ 7.37 & 198

-Fastest Customer @ 7.52@192

-TSM ELITE Plus Stock Frames @ 7.98@169

-Standing Half Mile Stock Frame Turbo Record @ 209 TSM ELITE

-Standing Half Mile 225.9 MPH

-Standing Half Mile 219.5 MPH

-Standing Half Mile 218.3 MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg

Call: 678-297-7770

cicio@topspeedmotorsports.com

TopSpeedMotorsports.com

**AWD Dyno Tuning

**Parts, Sales, Service

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 338 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Sounds real close to mine as i use about 1/2 quart every 1500 miles. My catch can is so little I don’t even think about it until I change the oil and if I had to guess it’s about a thimble full

Anything less than a quart every 1000 is perfectly fine.  It all just depends on how looooossiieee they are built.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
  • Tim likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,028 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Totally normal for road use.

HOWEVER,

Are you going to road course track it, or just drag or just daily?

If you road course track it, you'll find out FAST how much it will use.

Shawn

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 338 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
So far my oil consumption has been based on spirited weekend driving. Several pulls but never longer than 1/8 ish mile.
  • Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,110 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
1/8 mile maybe I’m crazier than I think?? That just seems to be warming up the car imo but I’m not Tony Palo or do I play him on Tv and no I didn’t sleep at a Holiday inn Express ever

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 338 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

1/8 mile maybe I’m crazier than I think?? That just seems to be warming up the car imo but I’m not Tony Palo or do I play him on Tv and no I didn’t sleep at a Holiday inn Express ever

The only reason I rarely push it longer Tim is because of a couple reasons:

1) by this point I'm usually a dozen bus lengths ahead of the competitor and can't tell if they're racing or not racing anymore. Lol

2) I still cannot get used to how fast this thing accelerates. It is very scary to be doing 130+ on Southern California freeways. Even when they are relatively empty late at night, cars come flying up quick!

Only way I will ever safely stretch her legs is a 1/2 mile track or runway event. Just too scary and dangerous otherwise.
  • Tim and ghostrider like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,110 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
I completely understand your point !! I’m just Blessed that I live where I do. This way I can do crazy shit. I have honestly gone 5 miles on I-95 and not seen another car in either direction,but yeah man when you come up on shit it gets your attention quick...just as a quick question have you had anybody freak out in your car yet after a pull?

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 338 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

I completely understand your point !! I’m just Blessed that I live where I do. This way I can do crazy shit. I have honestly gone 5 miles on I-95 and not seen another car in either direction,but yeah man when you come up on shit it gets your attention quick...just as a quick question have you had anybody freak out in your car yet after a pull?

That's awesome. Best place to go fast is an open road and no intersections.

Yeah I've had my Dad and GF freak out but the silent freak out where they start reaching for shit to hold and start sweating after the pull. Lol.

As amazing as a built GTR is in straight line acceleration, I've freaked out more friends in the local mountain roads. With some KW Coilovers and R888 tires this thing scares people in the twisties without even pushing it. Haha.
  • Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,110 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
Yeah Fl has a serious lack of twisties. Interstate off ramps are my only outlet in that area,sounds like your having fun with the car and that’s whats important

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 338 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Yeah Fl has a serious lack of twisties. Interstate off ramps are my only outlet in that area,sounds like your having fun with the car and that’s whats important

Yes sir! Puts a smile on my face and those of my friends everytime I smash the pedal!
  • Tim likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users