Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Holy crap...is this going to kill tuning?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,556 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

https://jalopnik.com...d-to-1829348318

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,908 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Nah, that’s mostly for diesel trucks. You live in Texas so I know you’re familiar with “rolling coal” which is just about the dumbest thing you can do to a truck. But.... people think it’s cool and they’re willing to pay for it, so these companies make the tunes for it.

For sports cars, I don’t think ECU tuning makes too much difference to emissions. It’s the exhaust swaps, cat removal, etc - that’s the problem. It’s pretty easy to make 1000hp and keep some kind of catalytic converter so you can pass emissions. The EPA doesn’t care how much power you make or how bad your fuel economy, they only care about what’s coming out of the exhaust tips.
  • Tim and 7racer like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 369 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

We as shops need to watch these actions. There was the Honda tuning shop that got hit with a $4 million penalty, levied against the individual not the company. The interpitation of emissions required on every car, even those untitled is being challenged each year. SEMA has a action board that lobbies to help protect the industry, but as a industry we need to be smart with what we do. Utilizing alternative fuels help (E85). I've had a car go in with no emission control systems and pass cleaner than new cars utilizing E85.

• Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 1 other like this

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 471 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
There’s a little more detail in the article at http://www.thedrive....-defeat-devices

Specifically, if Cobb were a subject of “According to the schedule outlined in this Paragraph, Defendants shall not manufacture, offer for sale, sell, convey, or otherwise transfer any product intended for use on vehicles of model years 2000 and newer that contains user-adjustable features for the following: rear oxygen sensors, EGR, or any DTCs associated with these emission controls.” to me effectively spells the end of flex fuel and SD in their current form on this platform.

I don’t know what’s involved on ecutek DTC-wise to run SD, and I’m curious whether ecutek could be a subject of such enforcement action, being a foreign company.

Standalone ECUs sound like potential winners in the fallout from this.
  • 7racer likes this

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 369 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

Thats the thin line of interpretation. As a consumer you should be in the clear, it puts shop at greater risk. There are no "User Adjustable" settings for those things in the access port. The SCT stuff allows anyone to change those settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users