Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Follow us Sept 14-16th for the 2018 NASA National Championships at COTA

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

POPULAR

Hey guys/gals, I just wanted to spread the word about our biggest race yet! Some of you know that my wife and I are club racers and we compete with NASA here in Arizona. Our team name is Dangerous Enterprises and we are headed to the NASA National Championships at COTA in a few weeks. If you are in the Austin area I would highly recommend coming out to watch! Spectators are free and this is going to be one of the biggest fields ever assembled at COTA. There are around 300-350 cars entered to compete throughout the weekend!!!

More info can be found here, and they will also be streaming coverage that weekend as well - https://nasachampionships.com

We run our GT-R in the Super Touring 2 class which is for cars between 8 and 10 pounds per hp. There are about 22 cars in our class, and 60-70 in our run group! I am hoping for a top ten finish in our class, since our GT-R is still quite stock and most of our competitors have completely built cars with aero, suspension, etc. We will have to earn each place as we work our way through the field!

Cheers and let me know if you can make it out to watch!

Attached Images

• A8280234-6D0D-4C7A-9D3F-39CA5F54E6CE.jpeg

Edited by elf_cruiser, 28 August 2018 - 11:13 PM.

• forty-two, 7racer, thehelix112 and 4 others like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stock

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17
  • LocationEast Valley, Phoenix

Best of luck........

• elf_cruiser likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,515 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

good luck Elf!

I wanted to come down for this but my friends are coming into town for the TCU vs OSU!

kick some ass!

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

Yinger

Yinger

Stage 1 Member

• 118 posts
  • Joined 29-October 14
Best of luck!
  • elf_cruiser likes this

flames.jpg

white_turbo

white_turbo

Stock

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 05-August 17

Good luck. I would love to get into NASA TT some day but in a much less expensive car though. =)  Meanwhile, my GTR can stay dodging cones in parking lots.

• elf_cruiser and droptopp like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Good luck. I would love to get into NASA TT some day but in a much less expensive car though. =) Meanwhile, my GTR can stay dodging cones in parking lots.

You should go for it! We ran TT for a few years before moving into race group. The GT-R can be very competitive with a few mods.

Cheers!
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,711 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX
Coming up! When do you guys get in? I will try to swing by this weekend to cheer you on!
  • elf_cruiser likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,515 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

is the weather going to hold out?

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
We’ve arrived at Circuit of The Americas for the National Auto Sport Association Championships! The weather has been mixed all week with rain and sun alternating every few hours. We expect to have some difficult tire choices over the next few days!!

Live streaming starts on Friday and can be found here:
https://livestream.c...venasa/cota2018

Choe and Bob - I’m in town already, had lunch with FortyTwo today and borrwed his street tires to use for rain. My wife arrives tmrw night, and we hit the track on Friday for qualifying.
We expect mixed weather throughout the weekend and we will be making some difficult choices on tires. I am hoping for a wet race because we have one of the only AWD cars in the field. We shall see how it goes - it’s going to be an amazing weekend for sure!

Cheers,
Wes
  • 7racer, choerizo and Jared@SFS like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,711 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

gtr1.jpg

Great seeing you and Marissa! And what a beautiful day for a race. Solid driving -- good to see the GT-R run well for 45min! How were the fluid temps? Any issues?

• 7racer, thehelix112, elf_cruiser and 1 other like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Thanks Choester! It was awesome seeing you and FortyTwo again. So glad you made it out!

The water temp gauge turned red at least once, but it quickly recovered and I didn’t see it turn red again. Trans was around 250 stable, and oil around 240 stable. I will post a full recap and video soon! I’m super happy with a 10th place finish against such fierce competition. It was an exciting race with lots of drama and attrition from beginning to end. The old reliable R35 held together like a tank and saw us to the end!

Cheers!
  • 7racer, thehelix112 and choerizo like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Hey everyone, my apologies for the delayed reply, it took me a few days longer than expected to get home to Phoenix after my tow rig broke down in West Texas! Our race weekend at COTA was a roller coaster of events, mainly concerning the weather. The tropical storms were wreaking havoc on us last weekend, and it was very difficult to decide which tires to put on the car each session. Here’s a quick recap:

Friday was warmup and qualifying, the sky was dark and it rained intermittently throughout the day. We had some old Hoosier slicks that have been sitting in my shop for awhile so we threw them on the car just to burn them off for quali. That turned out to be a mistake, the tires were far slower than I’d expected - and with the mixed conditions it was impossible to get a good lap in during my quali session. The best I could manage was a 2:36 which is mich slower than my previous times at COTA, and it placed us at the back of the grid. Dead last place in quali, not where you want to be!!

Saturday was my wife’s day to drive, and she had a warmup session and then a 30 minute qualifier race (no points for this race, but it’s used to set the grid for Sunday). She went out for warmup on a good set of Pirelli slicks and started to get a feel for the car. As we approached the start of the Qualifier Race, tge sky turned dark. We checked the radar and it showed rain coming towards the end of the race so we decided to stay on the slicks. She went out for the formation lap, and before the green flag dropped it started raining cats and dogs. Heavy heavy rain, the track was covered in 2-3” of standing water!! She stayed out for one lap, and then mistakenly followed some other cars into the paddock, thinking that the race had been black flagged. By the time she realized it was still green, she only had time to go back out for one more lap. It was an honest mistake, but she was very disappointed in herself. The good news is that several competitors had simply parked their cars, so with her extra lap in the books we were not starting in last place for Sunday!!

Sunday’s championship race was a 45 minute race and easily my best drive so far in my short career. I started 17th in class and finished 10th which was my goal for the weekend!! I kept a cool head, used a little patience, and then executed some good passes when the opportunities presented themselves. My best race lap was a 2:28.3 which was another goal achieved - getting down into the 2:20’s at COTA!! The car ran flawlessly, brakes were good all the way to the end, and temperatures were in control. I will post the video as soon as I get it edited, but here are some pics!

I also wanted to say huge thanks to FortyTwo for loaning us his street tires/wheels. We didn’t use them (but should have on Sat), and his local track knowledge at COTA is second to none!
Choester also made it out to watch and say hi - I really appreciate the support guys!!

Edited by elf_cruiser, 21 September 2018 - 07:20 PM.

• thehelix112 and choerizo like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Pics:

Attached Images

• CBA6B104-63FD-4EE9-A1EE-682CA9565399.jpeg
  • C6A6679F-CB49-443C-95C1-B83A0A3A4BB1.jpeg
  • A5D7BF08-7446-4B05-A866-69AF22FEB9BE.jpeg
  • B138F174-544C-4F4C-BB4D-33DA3AD8A60E.png
  • C371D5CD-FCDA-42E7-B5D6-7B9B5799C7E4.jpeg
  • F368C835-01A1-4597-9ED5-99BBCE4CDFD1.jpeg
  • FFD9177E-65D2-4A73-9D1C-19722DE6D6D5.jpeg

• 7racer and choerizo like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,711 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

sucks hearing about your tow rig. it was awesome seeing your position creep up each lap! i cheered when you broke into 2:20s. forty-two mentioned that power is restricted quite a bit for your division so that's even more impressive!

Edited by choerizo, Yesterday, 06:03 PM.

• elf_cruiser likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,882 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Thanks man! I was definitely happy when I saw it pop up on the lap timer. As for power, I’m putting down 425 to the wheels. I used to run about 480 to the wheels, but earlier this year we decided it would be faster to go with full slick tires, and turn down the power. You take a classing penalty for moving from DOT to full slicks, so something else has to give in order to stay in the same class. Turning down the power was the best compromise to make. We also could have added weight, or disconnected the FWD, but I didb’t want to do either of those!!
  • 7racer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users