Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Evap Canister

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,605 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Bringing this topic back from the dead - has anyone come up with a fix or solution. A local car caught fire this weekend.

Also I believe there was a recall - I have not had issues so was worried if I did the recall I could introduce issues.

Anyone do the recall and have feedback on whether it actually solved the issue?
  • Enshiu likes this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,605 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Found the letter - looks like it’s not a recall but an extended warranty. Since I have not had an issue I never took the car in
1DBD18E0-D44F-4966-ABF1-7CC9390FA41C.jpeg
  • Enshiu and choerizo like this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,605 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
https://www.nissanas...cy-enhancement/
  • thehelix112 likes this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,717 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I have my letter too but still haven't done the recall yet. I also haven't been able to make it out to the track yet either due to family stuff going on. I plan to have at least one more track event before EOY and will try to get this done prior to attending but I'm not hopeful it will fix anything with regards to the wheel well gas-soak problem. forty-two saw the same problem on brand new 2017/2018 EBAs bone stock. They weren't decatted so the likelihood of flames was much less, but the soaking was still there.

• Enshiu and 7racer like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,580 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

just going to run 3/4 tank as much as possible.  Have a built in fire suppression with a nozzle right at that canister!!

damn POS.

• Enshiu likes this

In7anity!!

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,625 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

Not sure how old that letter is but i had to replace mine at around 10k miles. I tried to get reimbursed on one of the recalls but they pretty much told me to fuck off. $500 for that POS.

Thanks Nissan.

• Enshiu likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,058 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Not sure how old that letter is but i had to replace mine at around 10k miles. I tried to get reimbursed on one of the recalls but they pretty much told me to fuck off. $500 for that POS.

Thanks Nissan.

Aaaaaannnnnd..... another reason I got my M5.

I don't have to worry about bursting into flames on track.

Sorry guys.  Loved my GT-R, but I don't miss this kind of worry.

Shawn

• Tim and 7racer like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,717 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

There is no worry if you want to keep the GT-R stock. But then again who buys a GT-R for that.

• droptopp likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,058 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

There is no worry if you want to keep the GT-R stock. But then again who buys a GT-R for that.

I don't know about that.  My GT-R's fenderliner was wet from gasoline staining, and gas shot out of the side of the car frequently.  This is a real concern for the GT-R world.

Shawn

• Tim and forty-two like this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,314 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Didn’t 7’s ignite back in the day ?
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,058 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Yes but his wasn't stock.

Descartesfool and I have been black flagged REPEATEDLY if we were stupid enough to fuel the car more than 3/4 tank and go on track.  It shot out like a water cannon - clear fire hazard.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,580 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Oh yea....even though it didn’t damage the engine it was my excuse to do the 1700 billet block build! HAHAHA

But with it, I had installed a fire suppression kit with a nozzle pointed directly at the evap canister
  • Enshiu, thehelix112 and droptopp like this

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,580 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Yes but his wasn't stock.

Descartesfool and I have been black flagged REPEATEDLY if we were stupid enough to fuel the car more than 3/4 tank and go on track. It shot out like a water cannon - clear fire hazard.

Shawn

I think forty-two has more than one pic of stock cars with a soaked fender liner

A red car at COTA burned from the exact same place...stock
  • Enshiu likes this

In7anity!!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,717 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I don't know about that.  My GT-R's fenderliner was wet from gasoline staining, and gas shot out of the side of the car frequently.  This is a real concern for the GT-R world.

Shawn

True. I forget a brake/spark or something else other than the exhaust could ignite that.

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,314 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Keep this guy away from your car ;)

https://youtu.be/u8DKDk36j-c
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,922 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

https://youtu.be/u8DKDk36j-c

What a dumbass - he lit himself up too! Everyone knows you leave a trail of gasoline while you walk about 15-20 ft away. Then light the trail... come on people!!

Edited by elf_cruiser, 03 August 2018 - 02:05 PM.

• 7racer and droptopp like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,058 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

That guy clearly is an idiot.  Was he trying to kill himself?  In the olden days, he might have succeeded.

Shawn

38Off

38Off

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 02-April 13
  • LocationFL, ID

Posted this on other site with no replies:

Having had gas fumes in the cabin on 5 of 5 GTRs (on track), and having the canister changed on one and the problem coming back, I am wondering if anyone has installed a drain on the canister?  Maybe plumb a line into the bottom of it with a shut off that you could periodically drain into a container.  Or any other fixes that won't result in flames?

• 7racer likes this

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

Aaaaaannnnnd..... another reason I got my M5.

I don't have to worry about bursting into flames on track.

Sorry guys.  Loved my GT-R, but I don't miss this kind of worry.

Shawn

M5 do also burst in flames believe me.

Anyhow you need to relocate that evap to somewhere else.

This doesnt affect JDM cars as the evap design is different than usdm.

Edited by Enshiu, 29 August 2018 - 05:34 AM.

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

Just made a picture of my evap canister seems to be not square but, round?

8j6srL.jpg

Edited by Enshiu, 29 August 2018 - 08:48 AM.

• 7racer likes this

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users