Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

APR Front Splitter and Brake Duct Fabrication

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

This is my first post over here, so bear with me please....

Sooooo, I can't begin to claim that I figured this one out, I merely stole the idea with assistance from Sean Haas, I think he is OurToy on here.... I owe most of my GTR knowledge to him, and wouldn't be near as far along with any of my stuff without him.  Thanks Sean.

I wanted to add front aero to the car, as it has quickly become an almost completely dedicated track car.  I did the APR GTC500 rear wing, so I figured why not do the front splitter/airdam as well, as I thought it has functional brake ducting.  Well, this is really not true.  I think it was designed with an initial idea by APR to make it work, but it's damn near impossible without a lot of serious work actually.  Sean figured all of this out and I stole his idea completely, and did a much worse job on it than he did, but it's functional and done. lol.

First problem is the APR splitter and GTR front end combo has no where near the room for 2.5" hoses that they formed into the splitter itself.  It is required to neck this down to 2" to even attempt this.  Sean made a fiberglass neck down adapter.  I used a silicone one.  It is a 2.75" to 2" simple silicone intercooler-style adapter.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by carwash, 23 July 2018 - 04:20 PM.

2013 Premium - BRE Livery - Craft Square Mirrors - APR GTC500 Wing - APR Spitter/Brake Ducts - AP Racing Radical Brakes - Forgeline GS1R - 4SRC Paddles - T1R Fuel Rails - ID F750 Filter - R888R/NT01 - GT1R Series 3 Turbos - ETS Race Intercooler - 3" Piping - Tials - HKS Trans Cooler - Catless Downpipes - HKS Midpipe - HKS Race Muffler - Titan Harness Bar - Ecutek Flex Fuel Tuned - Dual 485 Basket - Shep-Built Trans - Eibach Springs - Brides - Other Crap

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

Next issue is the no room in the undertray area at all for even a 2" hose.  So we have to make a bolt-in section to add clearance to hold these hoses.  Borrowed the molds that Sean made from his to make a set for mine.  What we end up with is a section of fiberglass to graft into the splitter itself.  We then cut out a notch in the splitter itself for this to lay into, and then rivet it in. Then we mounted the splitter to the bumper and added the hoses.  boom.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

2013 Premium - BRE Livery - Craft Square Mirrors - APR GTC500 Wing - APR Spitter/Brake Ducts - AP Racing Radical Brakes - Forgeline GS1R - 4SRC Paddles - T1R Fuel Rails - ID F750 Filter - R888R/NT01 - GT1R Series 3 Turbos - ETS Race Intercooler - 3" Piping - Tials - HKS Trans Cooler - Catless Downpipes - HKS Midpipe - HKS Race Muffler - Titan Harness Bar - Ecutek Flex Fuel Tuned - Dual 485 Basket - Shep-Built Trans - Eibach Springs - Brides - Other Crap

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

more pics...

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

Realized the t-bar clamps were pushing against the cooler ducting on both sides, so had to pull it off and replace with crappy work clamps.  Used a piece of 2" OD stainless as a sleeve between the coupler and the duct hose.  You can see it from the front...

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

Here are some shots of the bumper on the car and how the ducting comes out the back of the undertray into the wheel well area.

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

So now for the actual brake duct hose mounting point.  This is a difficult one.  There aren't many places to mount anything to on this thing, especially in a position that will put a hose near a caliper or rotor.  Here is my first iteration.  I thought it was great until I put the stainless sleeve in it that would mount the hose to it, then I realized it wasn't in a position to do any good at all, and no way that I could get a section of hose on the other end of the sleeve to be at the caliper, because it run right into the strut itself.  See pics...

035.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

Next iteration uses the same mounting point but utilizes an L-shaped bracket to get the clamping mechanism away from the strut and in a position that can have hose attached to bring it closer to the caliper.  But you can see in the last pic, that the caliper clears it at full lock, but the brake line does not.  so I had to bend the brake line out of the way.  That will not be an issues once I put on my AP racing brakes next week, as they utilize stainless lines.

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

Here it is attached, with hoses attached, etc...

047.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

• thehelix112 likes this

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

And there you have it, APR splitter install with added functional brake ducts, the way that I think APR had intended, but never quite made happen.

Any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

• forty-two and 7racer like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Awesome job!
Now go find my thread on rear brake cooling and you will have althe complete package!
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,743 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

epic job

• 7racer likes this

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

Again, I can't claim any of this knowledge as my own, I merely copied Sean's (ourtoy) setup.

• 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
Yay for more track rats here!

NICE NICE job.

What competition are you doing with the car since it’s primarily a track car?

I’m trying to solve a similar problem, but have NACA ducts coming in from the side of the upper bumper. There is actually more room there, but it isn’t done yet.

Still waiting on a duct from Brypar who made my wide upright.

Where you getting a soft pedal?
  • thehelix112 likes this

In7anity!!

ALKOUT

ALKOUT

Stock

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 09-August 17
This is one of the best write ups for a DIY
Great job

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 934 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Nice work!

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

Yay for more track rats here!

NICE NICE job.

What competition are you doing with the car since it’s primarily a track car?

I’m trying to solve a similar problem, but have NACA ducts coming in from the side of the upper bumper. There is actually more room there, but it isn’t done yet.

Still waiting on a duct from Brypar who made my wide upright.

Where you getting a soft pedal?

Just doing HDPE track weekends with some local groups here.  Putnam, Mid-Ohio, IMS, NCM etc...

As my track times go faster, my braking became more aggressive.  Not to the point of brake fade, but I could feel them heating up more.

All of this should be remedied by the AP Racing Radical kits front and rear that were installed today... stay tuned for that post.

• 7racer and thehelix112 like this

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

This is one of the best write ups for a DIY
Great job

No, my thread is junk for DIY.... here is the thread you want to look at for DIY.... this is Sean, he pioneered this thing...

http://www.gtrherita...d-11517-review/

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

Carwash thanks for the shout out man, glad to help in anyway i can.  If I can help, I will and do.  Nice write up as well, and MUCH shorter than mine, since I tried several different approaches to get to the end result that I got.  I would love to figure out a rear backing plate to mount the hose, so it is not just shooting the air to the rotor, but is right next to it.  I got a couple Ideas I have been toying with.......

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,743 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

whoops misread last comment

Edited by choerizo, 01 August 2018 - 09:09 AM.

carwash

carwash

Stock

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
  • LocationCovington KY

You edited it out, but i'm putting it back right here for my future reference.... lol

http://www.gtrherita...-brake-cooling/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users