Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ride quality - 2015 Premium vs 2015 Nismo vs 2017 Premium

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Wizard

Wizard

Stock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a GTR and have a few questions please. I've narrowed it down to a 2015 for the obvious upgrades over the previous years and I prefer the '15 wheels over the '16 wheels. I like the front end of the '17 but not the back end as much as the '15/'16 model. 

I'm on the fence regarding having the paddle shifters on the wheel vs the column. I like the interior better of the '15 vs the '17. 

The only thing that could possibly sway me into a '17 is perhaps the ride quality for day to day cruising or the occasional spirited drive through the mountains. The 20hp bump would be nice to have too.  I've watched countless videos on YouTube lately and pretty much everyone keeps regurgitating the same ol' stuff on the 2017 as if they have a script. Everybody claims that the ride quality of the '17 is noticeably softer than previous years and brings out the "GT" in GT-R. Some even go as saying that the ride quality is too soft and the car has lost its backbone. What I don’t want is the ride quality to be too harsh and distract from my enjoyment of the car. It needs to be Daily Driver worthy, should I choose to do so. Slightly firm over bumps is ok, but harshness/ratting the car isn’t.

Doing a search, I found one thread on here from December IIRC discussing the ride quality of the ‘15/’16 vs ’17 and the results were inconclusive. The OP claimed the ’17 had a nicer ride while another user posted later claiming that from his experience, the ride quality of the two cars was identical. Has anyone upgraded to a ’17 from a ‘15/’16 lately? What are your thoughts on the ride quality?

On another note, a small part of me is interested in the 2015 NISMO edition. My only concern is the ride quality, again. From the several videos I watched on YouTube, they stated that the ride quality of the Nismo was extremely harsh, even on the softest setting. The problem is, ride quality is subjective. So, I’m curious, is having the 2015 NISMO edition on the softest setting = to the firmest track setting of a standard ’15 premium edition?

Changing the subject, are the seats in the Black Edition GTR’s anymore narrow than the standard premium seats? I’m 210lbs with a 38 waist with an athletic build (ie wide shoulders).

Any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 1 Member

• 191 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationKansas

My comment to all is the same. Go drive them and see what you like. You can watch and read reviews all week and get no where as it's so subjective. I have an '09 on coilovers, FBO E85 stupid loud, and daily it (260 miles M-F). No issues after I put sound deadening in it (I was starting to get headaches). But to me it's completely fine, I love how stiff my ride is as I don't have to change my settings for the track. But to others my car might be hard to daily. 

But the +20hp stock you wont notice so to me that's a non issue. 

Out of the three I would go a '15 Nismo but I change almost about everything to my liking and would be a little more hesitant modding the Nismo, though I'd probably do it anyways if I had one.

Hence I always say go drive one.

• thehelix112 likes this

IG - NoCrustGTR

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,453 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I would say if u never plan to track the car and have fun on the street and daily it, the 2017s are a nice nice balance.

if u can get a Nismo! those are super hard core but the ride is a bit stiffer.

If you plan to mod, or dont like keeping things the same (its pretty easy with this car and addictive)...you'll end out swapping many of those parts out anyways!!!

what car do you drive now as a comparison?

In7anity!!

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,057 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Of these, I've only driven biffs 2015 nismo. The ride is not at all harsh. Better than my '14 black edition.
  • 7racer likes this

Wizard

Wizard

Stock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18
"

My comment to all is the same. Go drive them and see what you like. You can watch and read reviews all week and get no where as it's so subjective. I have an '09 on coilovers, FBO E85 stupid loud, and daily it (260 miles M-F). No issues after I put sound deadening in it (I was starting to get headaches). But to me it's completely fine, I love how stiff my ride is as I don't have to change my settings for the track. But to others my car might be hard to daily. 

But the +20hp stock you wont notice so to me that's a non issue. 

Out of the three I would go a '15 Nismo but I change almost about everything to my liking and would be a little more hesitant modding the Nismo, though I'd probably do it anyways if I had one.

Hence I always say go drive one."

I agree, driving them would be the best in determining my opinion of ride quality. The problem is, it's not like there are 2015 and 2017's nearby that would allow me to drive them back to back (within the same day at least) on the same reference roads that I know and have driven over for many years.  Next best thing is to find a 2015 and 2017 for sale in a nearby city and establish new reference roads, but finding two GTR's for sale within 10 miles of each other is pretty much impossible.  The Nissan Dealer near me (Temecula) never seems to have any GTR's (used or new).  Thanks for your input. 

Edited by Wizard, 13 July 2018 - 10:05 AM.

Wizard

Wizard

Stock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18

Of these, I've only driven biffs 2015 nismo. The ride is not at all harsh. Better than my '14 black edition.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.  Since you have a BE, can you please answer my seat question above? Thanks

I would say if u never plan to track the car and have fun on the street and daily it, the 2017s are a nice nice balance.

if u can get a Nismo! those are super hard core but the ride is a bit stiffer.

If you plan to mod, or dont like keeping things the same (its pretty easy with this car and addictive)...you'll end out swapping many of those parts out anyways!!!

what car do you drive now as a comparison?

Are you speaking from experience? 

If I mod this GTR, my feeling is it will be minor. Just basic bolts-ons. 

Don't laugh, but I have a 1999

supercharged Nissan Maxima (Dyno'd 383 hp / 321 tq).  Over the past 14 years of ownership, I've tried nearly every coilover available for it, searching the best overall ride quality mixed with a great balance of handling/performance. 

Other cars that I drive now for comparison: 2007 Honda S2000 (stock), 2006 Toyota X-runner (supercharged/modified), 2014 Lexus GS350

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 1 Member

• 191 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationKansas

Based on your Temecula Dealer insight and assuming it’s Temecula Nissan in California. In a quick minute search on Cargurus I found three from dealers that you could test out. Though not on the specific road you might want but would clue you in on which you’d like better as all 3 of the below are 4 miles apart from each other.  

Stadium Nissan has a ’17 Premium (48 miles away from Temecula)https://www.stadiumn...1ar5ef4hm820027

CNC Motors has a ’16 Nismo and a ’15 Premium (44 miles away away from Temecula) http://www.cncexotic...x?_makef=nissan

IG - NoCrustGTR

Wizard

Wizard

Stock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 29-June 18

Based on your Temecula Dealer insight and assuming it’s Temecula Nissan in California. In a quick minute search on Cargurus I found three from dealers that you could test out. Though not on the specific road you might want but would clue you in on which you’d like better as all 3 of the below are 4 miles apart from each other.  

Stadium Nissan has a ’17 Premium (48 miles away from Temecula)https://www.stadiumn...1ar5ef4hm820027

CNC Motors has a ’16 Nismo and a ’15 Premium (44 miles away away from Temecula) http://www.cncexotic...x?_makef=nissan

Son of a gun; all 3 in close proximity to each other. This just might work. Thank you very much.

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 1 Member

• 191 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationKansas

Son of a gun; all 3 in close proximity to each other. This just might work. Thank you very much.

Not a problem

IG - NoCrustGTR

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,057 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Interesting. Thanks for posting. Since you have a BE, can you please answer my seat question above? Thanks

I've actually never driven a premium.

I am 6'4 240lb 38" waist, BE seats are too narrow for me, feel like I'm sitting on top of the sides after long drives. Totally daily able though.

I'll be moving to wider and light bride carbon seats at some point.
  • 7racer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users