Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SUV towing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,511 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
So with two kids and strollers one of the dailies will likely be an SUV soon. I would prefer a truck but don’t think I’ll be able to swing that one for a few years. Would love something that could also pull the GTR on an open trailer.

Let me know what works well from experience.
  • Tim likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,824 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
00-04 Excursion. Look around and you can find them with under 100k miles. Get the 6.0 deisel version and have it “bulletproofed” plus the egr upgrades. Will last a long time and tow a house.

The only other SUV I’d consider for towing is the 3/4 ton Suburban with the Duramax or the 8.1L gasser. But I prefer the Ford interiors, electronics, and they seem to have less failures of ancillary parts like alternator, cooling, AC, etc.

What it boils down to is weight. Ideally the tow rig should weigh more than what it’s pulling. Your GT-R on an open trailer will be around 6k lbs. Excursion is 7200-8000 depending on options, Suburban is roughly the same. If you can find another SUV with a 1-ton powertrain and 6000+ curb weight then go for it!
  • Tim and 7racer like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,474 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

For towing i'd highly recommend a diesel as well. The Excursion is a good option. (my neighbor owns one for his side business)

If you go Ford get an older one with the 7.3 powerstroke. Personally I wouldn't touch the 6.0..there were way too many problems with those engines. You can get it bulletproofed but that still doesn't give me peace of mind. I like when things are properly engineered.

If brand doesn't matter the more popular models are from GM/Dodge but cost more on average. The 7.3 Powerstroke, 6.6L Duramax and 5.9L cummins are absolute tanks and will go for 500k+ with proper care.  

Just picked up this 02 GMC Sierra 2500hd 4x4 with only 95k. It has the Allison transmission and 6.6L Duramax combo. I'm sure you'd love one like it and there is a TON of room for family. I can tow well over 10klb's. 6000-7000lb curb weight. 

_DSC0001_zpsxvxamg7f.jpg

Edited by Dan_585, 13 May 2018 - 01:17 PM.

• Tim likes this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,511 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
Thanks guys! Wife is tiny so unfortunately excursion/suburban is probably not an option. To be honest even a Yukon/Tahoe will be on the large side for her.

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,824 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Slammed

Attached Images

• 5CD8FB10-965B-4AF1-9944-CD8B9F4542E6.jpeg

• Tim, 7racer and Dan_585 like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,949 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Thanks guys! Wife is tiny so unfortunately excursion/suburban is probably not an option. To be honest even a Yukon/Tahoe will be on the large side for her.

First world problem.

Mark yourself lucky.  One of mine was a house.  Literally.

Shawn

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,677 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

http://www.gtrherita...-family-hauler/

Been really happy with it so far.

Rated for 7,700 towing but haven't tried pulling anything yet. Looking at getting a small Airstream to do some road trips next summer.

• Tim, 7racer and Dan_585 like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,933 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

00-04 Excursion. Look around and you can find them with under 100k miles. Get the 6.0 deisel version and have it “bulletproofed” plus the egr upgrades. Will last a long time and tow a house.

The only other SUV I’d consider for towing is the 3/4 ton Suburban with the Duramax or the 8.1L gasser. But I prefer the Ford interiors, electronics, and they seem to have less failures of ancillary parts like alternator, cooling, AC, etc.

What it boils down to is weight. Ideally the tow rig should weigh more than what it’s pulling. Your GT-R on an open trailer will be around 6k lbs. Excursion is 7200-8000 depending on options, Suburban is roughly the same. If you can find another SUV with a 1-ton powertrain and 6000+ curb weight then go for it!

Wes do. They make a duramaxx bourbon, if so I’m pretty sure my dad would of already had one?

Miguel my friend has a new Nissan Armada and he tows his boat everywhere with it, love it. Asier “godzilla2009” tows his with a Infinity Q80 basically same as the Nissan and has been for a while never heard him say anything bad about it
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,824 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Wes do. They make a duramaxx bourbon, if so I’m pretty sure my dad would of had one

Oh crap I think you’re right! Another reason that I prefer the Excursion...
  • Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,933 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

Oh crap I think you’re right! Another reason that I prefer the Excursion...

My dad still regrets selling his,he had 2
And loved both of them
  • elf_cruiser likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,380 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
https://electrek.co/...7-9-dreamliner/
  • Tim, choerizo, elf_cruiser and 1 other like this

In7anity!!

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 1 Member

• 173 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationKansas

Only if Tesla could make a truck with a proper bed. I'd get one. Waiting until after my wedding to get rid of my F150 for a '17 F350 Dually. Maybe one day Tesla will make a pickup

• Tim and 7racer like this

IG - NoCrustGTR

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,380 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Only if Tesla could make a truck with a proper bed. I'd get one. Waiting until after my wedding to get rid of my F150 for a '17 F350 Dually. Maybe one day Tesla will make a pickup

Did you see the renders that Elon teased.

There is a pickup that might happen

In7anity!!

Aequitas & Veritas

Aequitas & Veritas

Stage 1 Member

• 173 posts
  • Joined 20-October 15
  • LocationKansas

Did you see the renders that Elon teased.

There is a pickup that might happen

I somehow missed that, but it'll be a long road before that comes market if it does. Model 3 numbers aren't up yet, and they haven't finished testing with the Semis (I currently work for Pepsi and we have 40ish on order), then the Roadster and the Model Y. But it would be nice, and would save me diesel costs lol

• 7racer likes this

IG - NoCrustGTR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users