Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DIY Fuel Pressure Sensor - $200

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 273 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

POPULAR

I decided to make my own fuel pressure sensor kit as opposed to purchasing one.  Have too many things I need to spend my money on now so might as well save $200 and do it myself.  I run the Cobb so I had to route to the pre throttle body pressure sensor (left or right), but as I understand you can also use this plug for EcuTek.

Pre-Throttle body MAP sensor male connector ($8.49 + shipping)

https://www.bmotorsp...roducts_id/3280

Fuel Rail sandwich plate with 1/8" NPT port.  Same as 350Z/370Z. ($45.00 + shipping)

https://cj-motorspor...t-nissan-2-bolt

I already had two 0-100psi Honeywell pressure sensors with pigtails from my EVO project ($100.00 + shipping)

https://www.powertra...nsors/SNS-1003/

I have confirmed with PTCS this sensor is Honeywell Part # MLH100PGB06A.  The owner actually took a picture of the box to show me the part number.  PTCS is updating the spec sheet online as the current one is not correct.

"G"  - vented gauge (relative)

"S" - sealed gauge

The MLH series is the one you want as it has the metal diaphragm and highest use temperature.  You can actually use these for measuring EGBP and these are the ones I used on my EVO IX for that purpose.  You also want to run the vented gauge because it is relative to outside air (baro).  Cobb uses the "Relative Manifold Pressure (Sea Level)" so it also is referencing outside air prior to startup to understand baro.  Therefore, the pressure differential (rail vs intake manifold) will be accurate regardless of your altitude.

I received the sandwich plate today, which is essentially a 350Z/370Z adapter that also fits the GTR.  This unit is very well made and came with the necessary bolts and a spare o-ring.

FPS1.JPG

Next step was to mount the Honeywell MLS sensor I got from PTCS.

FPS2.JPG

I then mounted it to the supply side of the rail although you can also do on the return side.  I recommend that you remove the damper and disconnect the line via the EFI connector so you can completely remove from the car and then lube the o-ring and slide the damper onto the sandwich adapter prior to mounting it to the rail.  Also, make sure you lube the o-ring on the sandwich adapter prior to putting onto the rail.

FPS3.JPG

Finally, I pinned the connector for the MAP harness as shown below.  My harness was about 2ft long so more than long enough to reach the plug on either side of the engine.

FPS4.JPG

I fired the car up for a few minutes and verified it was reading pressure so now I just need to find some time to log so I can see if I am dropping fuel pressure under boost.

• Enshiu, 7racer, haul s and 2 others like this

2006 EVO IX (601hp/462tq @ wheels Shell 93 pump gas)
2009 GTR Premium (707hp/628tq @ wheels Shell 93 pump gas / 10.24@138)
Built RB26 with no home (everything is for sale...lots of stuff)

DIY700 - 700hp on a Budget

BW S362 SXE TwinScroll Project

Curt Brown 2.15L / S362 SX-E (68mm) / EVO IX / Pump Gas

haul s

haul s

Stage 4 Member

• 568 posts
  • Joined 18-October 14
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
Very cool!

What are your thoughts on using MLH150PGB06A (150 psi) sensor http://www.newark.co...si-1/dp/71J5894 ?

2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
sigpic71174_3.gif
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 273 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14

Very cool!

What are your thoughts on using MLH150PGB06A (150 psi) sensor http://www.newark.co...si-1/dp/71J5894 ?

If you feel you will exceed 100psi then get the 150psi version. However, if you're running less than 100psi then you will lose resolution as you are spreading 4V over a broader range of pressure.

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 273 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14

Just a few tips based on my experience. 

• Ditch the hex drive socket head cap screws that come with the fuel adapter.  Go to Lowes and get two stainless bolts (M6x1 - 40mm length).  PITA to tighten with the bolts provided because they are hex head and so much easier to use a 10mm wrench.
  • Make sure you idle the car for 5-10 minutes to make sure you didn't tear the o-ring.  I noticed a small drip and when I removed the adapter I had sheered the edge off the o-ring.  NAPA carries a box of metric o-rings that are buna-n-nitrile, which are Ethanol/Gasoline compatible and $0.50/o-ring.  It was a #16 in their box.  I put oil on both the o-ring and opening and was able to work it in very slowly so you compress the o-ring.  It is now leak free

• Enshiu and 7racer like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,190 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Just a few tips based on my experience. 

• Ditch the hex drive socket head cap screws that come with the fuel adapter.  Go to Lowes and get two stainless bolts (M6x1 - 40mm length).  PITA to tighten with the bolts provided because they are hex head and so much easier to use a 10mm wrench.

I agree this should be great for this application.  But, I discourage replacing hex bolts in places they are needed.  Smooth heads that can be driven by a driver from an angle in a stupid low clearance area have their applications.  They can also avoid chafing other structures in the area.

Shawn

mathef

mathef

Stage 1 Member

• 106 posts
  • Joined 27-October 16
I purchased the following transducer:

Input: 0-100 psi(Gauge Pressure);
Output: 0.5-4.5V linear voltage output. 0 psi outputs 0.5V, 50 psi outputs 2.5V, 100 psi outputs 4.5V.

Being that I am running speed density and have no need for my MAFs, I wired the transducer to B2 MAF and had tuner configure Ecutek. This was also mounted on my Fuel Pressure Regulator. Works well!

I paid about $15 for transducer and maybe $10 for MAF connector, inexpensive mod if you already have aftermarket FPR and COBB/Ecutek/Standalone.

Edited by mathef, 12 May 2018 - 05:28 PM.

-Ecutek 7(Linney Tuned), TSM 3.8L,  TSM Elite Plus Turbos, FWM FPM Kit, Linney Ultimate Race IC with short route piping, Fabworx Valvetronic Exhaust, Ported Intake manifolds, Linney Billet Throttle Bodies, Ferea Valve Train, Tomei Cams, AMS Fuel Rail Kit, Fore Triple Pump (485s) Hardwired, ID 1700cc injectors, Flex Fuel, Jacks Drag 1000 (braced), Syvecs AWD Controller

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 273 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14

I purchased the following transducer:

Input: 0-100 psi(Gauge Pressure);
Output: 0.5-4.5V linear voltage output. 0 psi outputs 0.5V, 50 psi outputs 2.5V, 100 psi outputs 4.5V.

Being that I am running speed density and have no need for my MAFs, I wired the transducer to B2 MAF and had tuner configure Ecutek. This was also mounted on my Fuel Pressure Regulator. Works well!

I paid about $15 for transducer and maybe $10 for MAF connector, inexpensive mod if you already have aftermarket FPR and COBB/Ecutek/Standalone.

thanks for your post and more confirmation of how easy it is.

I was hesitant to use one of the less expensive sensors like is used in a more popular kit being sold for almost $400, but glad to hear it is working.  The one in the link below is $15 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com...81570675?chn=ps

With that sensor you can do the whole kit for $100.

Edited by 240Z TwinTurbo, 13 May 2018 - 08:24 AM.

• 7racer likes this

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

If you're allowing the ecu to compensate fueling based on fuel pressure, I would recommend against a cheap sensor for obvious reasons!

• BAZ007 likes this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

JustinOlson

JustinOlson

Stock

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 16-February 16

How important is it to also do fuel temperature as well? I see the Injector Dynamics fuel filter has an option to use the Bosch F 02U V0U 194-01 combined pressure and temperature sensor. Been considering it for my build on a different platform. 

http://www.bosch-mot...3446188555.html

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Depends what you're doing with the info. 

If your ecu is compensating for fuel density changes with fuel temp, it's worth having for sure. 

If it's just data for knowledge, it's still good info on some cars, as high fuel temps can cause the fuel pump to cavitate. 

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 273 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14

If you're allowing the ecu to compensate fueling based on fuel pressure, I would recommend against a cheap sensor for obvious reasons!

Yea, with the MLH100PGB06A being $100 with pigtail it doesn't make sense to skimp.  I saw you recommended those to Jeff on FB for EGBP, which is what I used for EGBP on my EVO for pre/post turbine housing measurements.

On a separate topic, I started on the DIY Flex Fuel setup and have almost everything I need to complete the kit, but will start another thread when I'm done.  I guess the male end of the air pump connector is somewhat hard to get, but I found a source for $8.99 + shipping.  Ballenger had to have them made since they couldn't source.  They don't have the alignment guides on the sides, but I received mine today and verified it works.

https://www.bmotorsp...roducts_id/4160

FlexConnector1.jpg

Also starting on my DIY dual 485 pump setup, which will be a different approach than what other's have done.  Looking for a basket (just the bowl portion that has the mounting tab) that I can borrow and will return.  I have a buddy who will cnc waterjet cut some SS top plates for me based on my design.  If someone can loan me the basket I will return it and provide a free SS to plate to the basket.

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 514 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

Yea, with the MLH100PGB06A being $100 with pigtail it doesn't make sense to skimp.  I saw you recommended those to Jeff on FB for EGBP, which is what I used for EGBP on my EVO for pre/post turbine housing measurements.

On a separate topic, I started on the DIY Flex Fuel setup and have almost everything I need to complete the kit, but will start another thread when I'm done.  I guess the male end of the air pump connector is somewhat hard to get, but I found a source for $8.99 + shipping.  Ballenger had to have them made since they couldn't source.  They don't have the alignment guides on the sides, but I received mine today and verified it works.

https://www.bmotorsp...roducts_id/4160

FlexConnector1.jpg

Also starting on my DIY dual 485 pump setup, which will be a different approach than what other's have done.  Looking for a basket (just the bowl portion that has the mounting tab) that I can borrow and will return.  I have a buddy who will cnc waterjet cut some SS top plates for me based on my design.  If someone can loan me the basket I will return it and provide a free SS to plate to the basket.

I have an idea of what you're going to do. I'd be glad to send you my boat. The car is down for a bit while Tony rebuilds my engine.

2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 273 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14

I have an idea of what you're going to do. I'd be glad to send you my boat. The car is down for a bit while Tony rebuilds my engine.

PM Sent.

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 273 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14

For those who use EcuTek and running SD you have 2 options if you don't want to touch your current wiring.  FYI, the SD kit uses your bank 1 (passenger side) MAF (single wire for temperature input) & Pre TB MAP (signal/ground/+5v) plugs for the pressure & temperature inputs.

1. Do as I have done, but plug into the bank 2 (driver's side) Pre TB MAP sensor connector. 
  2. Use bank 2 (driver's side) MAF connector as it has a signal wire that can be configured in EcuTek by your tuner.  Thanks for the heads up "mathef" that the MAF input voltage is +12v and not +5v so you still have to pull a +5v signal from the Pre Throttle Body MAP sensor or perhaps another source.
    https://www.bmotorsp...roducts_id/3255

Edited by 240Z TwinTurbo, 18 May 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• BAZ007 likes this

Vanilla

Vanilla

Stock

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 01-November 18

old thread revival :D

i just installed a fuel pressure sensor to maf2 since its free and im on sd but i must have made a mistake with the wiring as i dont get a correct voltage reading (tried 3 sensors to make sure they are not faulty)

i took 5 volt from map sensor as maf is 12 volt.

anyone has an idea?

sdhsdhas.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users