Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

T1 RWD "GTR" Rebuild Build Thread

- - - - - gt1r t1 race development

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 901 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

POPULAR

As many have heard, we're making some pretty big changes to the T1 GTR, and I'm going to outline them here, and answer any questions I can about the new build.   It's going to be a relatively long process, and updates may come slowly at times, but I will keep this updated as we progress with it. 

I enjoy racing, but even more than that I enjoy building cars and doing new things.   The GTR has gotten to a point where it's pretty expensive to race into the 6's, hard to do it very consistently, and progress is slowing considerably given the current combinations.  I feel the cars are at a point where they can be lighter, faster, and more reliable, and doing this conversion will both keep me busy with something new, and hopefully result in a contender for the IRS record (currently held by Mark Carlyle at 6.54 @ 223).

I will continue with our proven VR38 engine program, and to start out and get the car sorted, our Forced Performance 80mm turbos.   When the time comes for bigger turbos, I'll have Robert at FP cook something up. 

From there, we'll have a lot of changes, the biggest being the driveline change. 

Making a car with a normal clutch (with limited slipping capability) and a narrow powerband (big turbos on a small engine) leave the line ideally and consistently is very hard.  In order to not bog the engine on a launch, you MUST spin the tire a ways out.   The new setup will have a torque converter, which will make leaving the line much more consistent, and quicker.  

Shane T is a good friend of mine, and a big influence behind this combo (in fact, it was born late at night and many beers in at PRI last year, lol), and has spec'd the converter and gear ratios.  I'll blame him if it doesn't work!  I'll also be running his MoTeC M150 Drag Package to control all this stuff. 

The torque converter is from A1/Quick Drive, in all billet fashion. 

Converter snip.PNG

Once the power makes it through the converter it goes through a Quick Drive unit.   This unit allows us to manipulate converter pressure, adds a trans brake to the mix, and also has a lock up clutch in it.   This allows us all the benefits of a torque converter, without the ultimate loss that comes by not being able to fully lock it up sometimes.   The system can be made to 100% lock up at any point we deem necessary, controlled by the Motec.  Pic coming soon on the Quick Drive. 

From the Quick Drive, we go into the Liberty 7 speed transmission.  This is air shifted, and will be controlled by the Motec as well.   7th gear is 1:1, so we'll be using all of them.  This gear ratio combination will allow us to run very big turbos, with a narrow powerband, successfully, and it will also improve acceleration considerably.   

The Liberty trans is a neat piece, it's essentially a dogbox, but the shifting is unique.  There is no torque reduction or cut required to shift it, like a normal dogbox.  When the next gear is selected, the opposite side of the dog ring is 'engaged' by the overrun from the new gear, and that side of the dog ring is ramped, so it kicks it out of the previous gear.  It's kind of hard to picture without seeing it all, unfortunately I don't have any pics of that.   It's quite a piece to look at though! 

Trans complete.jpg

Shift Solenoids.jpg

Shift solenoids 2 snip.PNG

From the trans, DSS will be supplying a carbon driveshaft and the axle and rear end components.  It will use a Ford 9" rear end, mounted in the factory lower subframe.  

Doing all of this of course negates the need for any OEM electronics, so the entire car will be stripped of all wires and brake system, and rewired by Joel at Race Spec.   Between removing all of the OE wiring, brake system, and front drive stuff, we hope to lose quite a bit of weight. 

I will also be removing the current cage (10pt, rated to 8.50) in exchange for a proper SFI 25.3 cage.  

The front suspension will receive a bit of an update too.  The factory suspension will be completely removed and replaced with a Penske drag strut, carbon brakes, and Belak 17x3.5" spindle mount wheels.  Paul Yaw will remain the brains behind the suspension and will be updating the front and rear damper spec to suit the new combo. 

Penske strut.jpg

Marco from Magnus Motorsports is working on the drive adaptor pieces, a flexplate and motor plate, as well as a new dry sump oil pan now that we don't have the front axle in the way to deal with.   Since the engine will likely end up in a different location (further down, and possibly further back), the entire turbo setup will be rebuilt as well. 

"What's left of a GTR", yeah yeah, I don't wanna hear it.  I'm building this for me, and it will further the market in time.  While it's more complicated than throwing a TH400 in there, it's no different.  It's happened on every other platform out there eventually.   The end result of this will be a car that can be raced at national events, on a pro tree, and go rounds.   You'll see more of these eventually, and we're documenting all of the development to hopefully eventually be able to offer a package, or parts to assist others who want to step up. 

So that's where we are right now, as I mentioned, I'll update this as things progress. 

• Jason@BoulderNissan, celsius, 7racer and 6 others like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 361 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

Time for something epic!

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 901 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Here's the Quick Drive unit. 

Quick Drive smaller.jpg

• Jason@BoulderNissan, 7racer and robbie.rob.31924 like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

AWDMotorsports

AWDMotorsports

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 27-September 13
  • LocationSouth Florida

Huge learning curve and big budget to R&D all this but in the end both 6s will be in your future for sure.. Good luck!!

• AWD 09' GTR "Most H8D"  Fastest Alpha 10 Powered- 166+mph ( Tuned by: Sean Ivey )
  • AWD 09' GTR "Most H8D" Alpha 9 Powered- 9.02 & 154+mph ( Tuned by: Sean Ivey )
  • AWD 09' GTR "Most H8D"  Fastest Stock Turbo, Engine, Trans- 9.73@142mph & 5.85 60-130 ( Tuned by: Sean Ivey )
  • AWD 13' BE GTR No times yet (Tuned by: Sean Ivey)
  • AWD Evo 8 GSR "Most H8D"- 8.75@163mph
  • AWD Evo 8.5 RS "Bastard" 8.98@156mph
  • AWD E60 M5 World's Quickest / Fastest 10.57@130mph

cjmatt

cjmatt

Stage 4 Member

• 458 posts
  • Joined 29-January 14
  • LocationDetroit

Bad Ass stuff right here Tony! Dont let the haters talk shit about the trans, its necessary eventually for a drag car.

One question about the Quick Drive unit though, i get that you can slip it and lock it up, but isnt the Converter still going to be unlocked?

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 901 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

So some of this is new to me, this being one of the pieces.  I couldn't tell you in detail how it all works.  There's a bit of info here. 

http://www.quickdriv...uick-drive.html

• cjmatt likes this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,526 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
This is going to be great to watch unfold and get built! Had the privilege to see the trans in person and it’s pretty awesome!

PurEvl

PurEvl

Stock

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 14-March 18
Good luck on the car. Hope it goes 5s with the change.

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 901 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

Thanks.  5's is a long way away, isn't going to happen on this size tire, but hopefully halfway there from where we are now is doable. 

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

ghostrider

ghostrider

Stage 1 Member

• 153 posts
  • Joined 07-February 14

• Tim likes this

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2 Member

• 248 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina
Better to be a leader than a follower.

2006 EVO IX (573hp/439tq)

2009 GTR Premium

Built RB26 with no home (everything is for sale...lots of stuff)

Garrett V-band TwinScroll GTX35r Topmount Experiment
Garrett V-band TwinScroll GTX3576r, Curt Brown 10:1 2L, R2's, 110octane, 573hp/439tq

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,963 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

I like it,pretty cool
  • celsius likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 452 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

Looks awesome!

I dont know how it is today, back 15 years ago when I was involved with "Project no budget Race Cars" for a 3000lb car and 2000+hp, it was more reliable and easier to tune with a lenco/bruno combo at that power and weight.  The Liberty definitely is more efficient.  But I dont know how many guys use libertys at 3000hp and 3000lb.   That being said the issues i had seen were mostly tuning related, and im sure its worlds better than it was back in the early 2000s

Cant wait to see how it works!

• Tim likes this

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 901 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

The Lenco Bruno was easier because it was more like an auto, the converter is typically much easier to make work well than a real clutch.  Back then I don't think they were using a Liberty trans with a torque converter, were they?

• Tim likes this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16
Very cool Tony! Looking forward to watching the progress.

Blade30

Blade30

Stage 1 Member

• 163 posts
  • Joined 19-July 14
EPIC!
Goodluck Tony!

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 2 Member

• 230 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
Incredible. Excited as a spectator to see the future.

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,963 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
I can’t wait to see this thing launch
Gonna be epic💪🏻💪🏻💯💯💯
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 452 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

The Lenco Bruno was easier because it was more like an auto, the converter is typically much easier to make work well than a real clutch. Back then I don't think they were using a Liberty trans with a torque converter, were they?

Ya 2002 we tried the liberty and Bruno out. The Lenco was easier since we could soften the shifts. Was a 31x10.5w record holding car at the time. We just ran more boost and ended up back with the lenco. That setup was super traction limited. Most boost it ever made on track was 28. And it made 35 on the engine dyno. We tried a few converters with the liberty 4 speed if I remember. The car was front heavy so it was always a bitch getting it to hook up. I always attributed it to more torque that v8 guys made and that the liberty was more popular in the import world since it was more efficient.

I’m sure with that trick lockup converter and motec torque management will make it work really well.

Racing Technology has come a LONG way in 15-20 years
  • elf_cruiser likes this

Stuart@T1

Stuart@T1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 805 posts
  • Joined 29-July 13

Our tech Terence didn't waste any time ripping this thing apart!

M55A6695-Pano-X2.jpg

• Tim likes this

t1sig%20new_zpsrcxzxhwf.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gt1r, t1 race development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users