Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Easter diagnostics- wheel noise

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
Last week i heard a noise from front passenger wheel So i limed it home. Was a grinding noise that was every half turn of the wheel going in a straight line or turning. I figured it was a bad wheel bearing so I replaced the hub/ bolt/ axle nut. Noise was still there but not as bad. Brake shield not rubbing and i couldnt hear when car is jacked up and wheel is spun. I tightened the lugs to 100ft lbs and tried the copper lubricant where wheel meets brake. Replaced the brake rings and pads 3-4 months ago and everything was fine until now.

Any ideas or advice? If not easy fix ill be driving it to jotech this week. Luckily i live 10 mins from them- life savers

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

• Enshiu likes this

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
I cant get the file to play so if its a broken link please let me
Know ill try to repost!

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 315 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

I cant get the file to play so if its a broken link please let me
Know ill try to repost!

Are your wheelnuts the real product?

Edited by Enshiu, 02 April 2018 - 07:25 AM.

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

http://www.gtrherita...-600whp-upgrade

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
I had titanium lugs on, switched back to project kics and torqued to 100ftlbs
  • Enshiu likes this

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 315 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

I had titanium lugs on, switched back to project kics and torqued to 100ftlbs

Try the stock ones?

Been working with enshiu on my car for the past 2 days. This guy is a mad scientist. He knows his stuff about GT-Rs. We spent the past few days changing brakes, rotors and upgrading my  gotboost full intercooler piping. Enshiu will post pics of my car later.

My project:

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
I need open ended due to arp studs :-/

Enshiu

Enshiu

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 315 posts
  • Joined 01-January 13
  • LocationNL,UK,JP

Try to redo your brake caliper? loose all bolts and pins and put some copper grease on it and retorque?

My project:

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,023 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

COULD be the infamous GT-R wheel hub noise.

COULD be the wheel bearing.  But you said you replaced?  (Hub/bolt/axle-nut?)

How many miles on this beast?

Shawn

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
30k. Lowered on coilovers. Replaced the hub/axle nut/4 bolts holding the hub. It was originally a grinding noise that would be present about wvwry half rotation. Now its better after changing wheel hub (new unit) its more of a clunking thats heard in the video. Any thing i can try or check? Its a cba so only one spring clip on front calipers- may order two more to throw on as i was planning to anyways- possibly pad movement?

COULD be the infamous GT-R wheel hub noise.

COULD be the wheel bearing. But you said you replaced? (Hub/bolt/axle-nut?)

How many miles on this beast?

Shawn

• Enshiu and shawnhayes like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,023 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

30k. Lowered on coilovers. Replaced the hub/axle nut/4 bolts holding the hub. It was originally a grinding noise that would be present about wvwry half rotation. Now its better after changing wheel hub (new unit) its more of a clunking thats heard in the video. Any thing i can try or check? Its a cba so only one spring clip on front calipers- may order two more to throw on as i was planning to anyways- possibly pad movement?

Maybe pad clunking.  Install the extra clip and see.  It helps sometimes.  Sometimes it doesn't.

Shawn

• Enshiu likes this

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
Thanks shawn- ill keep you posted

Maybe pad clunking. Install the extra clip and see. It helps sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't.

Shawn

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stock

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
Put new brake retaining clip on and decided to clean inside of my wheels before remounting...noticed a loose bolt...then 6-7 more that were hand tight. Online gound BBS LM is 15-20lbs but just tightened them up with a wrench and socket.

Drove car at all speeds...next to a fence for echo at different speeds...had gf coast in parking lot as i walked listening. Nothing- no more noise so im assuming its the wheel hardware needs replacing. I had my wheels powdercoated then painted to match the car and original hardware was re-used so im going to order new BBS bolts.

Maybe pad clunking. Install the extra clip and see. It helps sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't.

Shawn

• Enshiu and 7racer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users