Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lightweight tubular GT-R R35 front and rear subframe pictures

* * * * * 1 votes t45 subframe front tubular lightweight

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

albertracing

albertracing

Stock

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 08-February 18

POPULAR

After an extensive work for the last couple of months with our two engineers, we have now fitted and tested our prototype front Nissan GT-R R35 tubular lightweight subframes and we would like to share the results with you. We have managed to achieve -37% of mass reduction from 48.20 lbs (21.85 kg) that the bare front OEM subframe weights. 

The subframe is tested on 700 HP track GT-R by Ecu-Performance. After some initial track tests, the car will be fully tested in Ascari Race Resort (Spain/Europe) at Nissan VIP Trackday 2018 event in few days. 

We are also getting ready for testing on second car by Materialmord Shop with their 2500HP+ drag R35 that is the fastest car in Europe!

Our tubular subframe is made based on 3D scan of the OEM subframe, completely CAD designed, finite element method 3D tested (FEM), made from T45 piping (full name is: BS4 T45 to BS5T100 / BS6S100 ). 

That tubing is a very unique seamless carbon based steel tube which has been used in many applications in different industries. It is stronger than Co-Mo 4130 tubing, also used in motorsport. T45 is widely used in the aerospace sector in equipment such as pilots’ seats and crew’s seats due to the material's ability to withstand high G forces without snapping or splitting. This material is a Carbon Manganese based and conforms to the full Aerospace Specification laid down by British Standards. 

Properties for T45 are: Tensile: 700 – 900MPa, 0.2% Yield 620MPa minimum Hardness Test: 201min – 262 max HB or 210min – 275max HV. We also use S355 metal sheets in the subframe. The size of the subframe is 964,8 x 844,5 x 168,8 mm (length x width x height).

The subframe was completely TIG welded by hand to ensure absolute quality control with a special Lincoln Electric tig wire that matches tubing tensile and yield properties. 

Some other benefits other than the light weight are:
- two front anti-roll bar mounting points. Extra 20 mm to the front are the second mounting points that enable clearing space for dry oil sump piping,
- additional space for easy removal of extended oil pans 
- works with Magnus dry sump kit,
- easier servicing thanks to better access to the underbody
- mounts for OEM or aftermarket undertray.

Rear is also in the development now but it is still long way before it’s done.

We are already making couple (8) of different subframes, so this is not our first, but this was most challenging subframe to make so far. Anticipating questions, our location is Europe, Poland.

Hope you guys like it :)  Please share your thoughts.

WAS-300-Nissan-GT-R-GTR-R35-subframe-fro

WAS-300-Nissan-GT-R-GTR-R35-subframe-fro

WAS-300-Nissan-GT-R-GTR-R35-3d-lighweigh

WAS-300-Nissan-GT-R-GTR-R35-lighweight-t

Nissan-GT-R-GTR-R35-lighweight-tubular-s

IMG_20180310_112153.jpg

post-13918-0-76003700-1525022429-1.jpeg

IMG_6612-1.jpg

Edited by albertracing, 08 November 2018 - 03:42 AM.

• Tim, 7racer, thehelix112 and 3 others like this

Mattson

Mattson

Stock

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 30-October 15

Price? Possible to order it? 

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Damn sure is pretty.

Shawn

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,130 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Cooool!

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,157 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Wow
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,556 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13
Count me in

In7anity!!

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 226 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

finally!  so what is the weight of the final price vs stock?

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Can I do this job in my own garage safely?

Shawn

• 7racer likes this

albertracing

albertracing

Stock

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 08-February 18

finally!  so what is the weight of the final price vs stock?

It is 17.2 lbs savings vs stock (35% reduction)

Shawn

It depends on how good mechanic you are. But we recommend professional workshop for the install.

Edited by albertracing, 12 March 2018 - 02:06 PM.

• mikelmarion likes this

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 502 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

Shawn

Wouldn't be that hard to do lifted off the ground and with a engine support bar across the strut towers.

• Tim likes this
fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

Dv8

Dv8

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

Looks great. I'd say about a 5hr job max with a lift and a engine support. Pricing TBD?

~Dv8

Edited by Dv8, 12 March 2018 - 05:11 PM.

• Tim, shawnhayes and mikelmarion like this

4/28/18 8.81 @163MPH 

Changes Coming| NHRA Licenced GTR 8.5

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Wouldn't be that hard to do lifted off the ground and with a engine support bar across the strut towers.

This is what I figured as well.

Any known recommended anchor points from above?  I could check the service manual, but I wanna see what you guys have.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Looks great. I'd say about a 5hr job max with a lift and a engine support. Pricing TBD?

~Dv8

I agree.  About seven hours with the engine support across the towers and high lift jacks I figure.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

It is 17.2 lbs savings vs stock (35% reduction)

It depends on how good mechanic you are. But we recommend professional workshop for the install.

I'm going to go out on a limb here...

Who cares about the 17.2 lbs savings?  To me, this looks like a piece with more structural stability and rigidity than the stock piece.  I could be TOTALLY wrong, but my engineering and science background says otherwise.

Any other science heads wanna weigh in on this?  Maybe I'm off base, but I don't know.

Shawn

• Neil Switzer and mikelmarion like this

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

Stage 2 Member

• 226 posts
  • Joined 31-March 17

if that is the case, what benefit would that provide? I think most wanted the weight saving. Shocked to see it isn't more.  But i thought the stock peice wi more than 50lbs

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 502 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

Any known recommended anchor points from above?  I could check the service manual, but I wanna see what you guys have.

Shawn

I just took my long block to Tony last month for a refresh. I used some bolts in the holes on the heads to cherry pick it off my subframe. The holes are at the top of the heads right under the valve covers and both heads have them.

• forty-two and shawnhayes like this
fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

Dv8

Dv8

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 14-March 13

Shawn

I've used the strut towers as the cross anchor for the support beam. I use 2 ratchet straps snaked through the timing cover window into the knock sensor valley and out-up the back latched around the support. Long and wide enough one could loop-strap the motor North/South latching around the support.

~Dv8

• shawnhayes likes this

4/28/18 8.81 @163MPH 

Changes Coming| NHRA Licenced GTR 8.5

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

if that is the case, what benefit would that provide? I think most wanted the weight saving. Shocked to see it isn't more.  But i thought the stock peice wi more than 50lbs

Any cars structural rigidity improvement can improve handling.

We used to add extra bars to improve handling.  These look like just better bars.

Shawn

• mikelmarion likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Like this:

evo_x_10_under_floor_chassis_brace.jpg

Believe it or not, that car handled MUCH better than stock.

Shawn

• Neil Switzer, elf_cruiser, earico and 1 other like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,049 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I just took my long block to Tony last month for a refresh. I used some bolts in the holes on the heads to cherry pick it off my subframe. The holes are at the top of the heads right under the valve covers and both heads have them.

I've used the strut towers as the cross anchor for the support beam. I use 2 ratchet straps snaked through the timing cover window into the knock sensor valley and out-up the back latched around the support. Long and wide enough one could loop-strap the motor North/South latching around the support.

~Dv8

Thank you brothers.  I'll think this piece over if I can see the price.  Also will get the track edition DBA lower control arms from the 2014 if I get this too.

Shawn

• Dv8, earico and mikelmarion like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: t45, subframe, front, tubular, lightweight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users