Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

OEM paper or HKS drop in green air filters

- - - - - filtration and performance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stock

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17
  • LocationEast Valley, Phoenix

Whats the difference between OEM paper and HKS drop in greens

Performance difference is ??????????? maybe 5/10 HP    ??

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,529 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I think someone looked at that...

I think in general the aftermarket filters flow more, the problem isnt that though.

Its just some let more particles thru.

In7anity!!

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stock

• Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17
  • LocationEast Valley, Phoenix

I have in the past run K and N and the oil did find its way into the throttle body. All Hp builds use after market so is 1 better than another ??

I have been told by many that paper OEM is fine unless you have a build and need the flow. HKS is less expensive than paper and a friend in LA just dropped them in.

I still like the topic a few weeks ago about modifying a stock air box with a 3 or 4 inch inlet tube.

• 7racer likes this

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
Keep the paper until you go with a larger build. If your stock or just a tune, not worth it. Fbo you will probably want to go with something like gotboost cause he's using green filters which are better than most filters.
  • 7racer likes this

Geno88

Geno88

Stock

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 21-June 18
How do you folks feel about using K&N and simply replacing them every 10-15k? Meaning instead of cleaning and re-oiling.
From the Factory, do the K&Ns flow and protect better than paper?

I’ve tried the HKS and the intake and blow off sounds much better, but I’m worried about the actual filtration.......

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,023 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

How do you folks feel about using K&N and simply replacing them every 10-15k? Meaning instead of cleaning and re-oiling.
From the Factory, do the K&Ns flow and protect better than paper?

I’ve tried the HKS and the intake and blow off sounds much better, but I’m worried about the actual filtration.......

NOTHING protects better than paper filters.  Period.

The aftermarket filters are there to FLOW better, but they do not provide the filtration.  The only filters that come even CLOSE are the Green filters with a prefilter - and even they don't filter as well as paper.

If you're worried about filtration, stick to OEM.

Shawn

• thehelix112 likes this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 318 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
My HKS Green filters let "shit-tons" of particles through. My silicone levels in my oil samples were really high. Switched back to KnN conical filters which I lightly oiled and silicone levels went back to normal (almost 0)
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,023 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

My HKS Green filters let "shit-tons" of particles through. My silicone levels in my oil samples were really high. Switched back to KnN conical filters which I lightly oiled and silicone levels went back to normal (almost 0)

HKS greens are terrible for filtration.

The ones that I'm referring to above are the ones that gotboost tested first - I think it's a USA brand Green Filter USA.  It's similar to a K&N but with a much higher density cotton I believe.

Shawn

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 318 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

HKS greens are terrible for filtration.

The ones that I'm referring to above are the ones that gotboost tested first - I think it's a USA brand Green Filter USA.  It's similar to a K&N but with a much higher density cotton I believe.

Shawn

The green conical filters Dave (Gotboost) offers I hear are really good. They're on my "to buy" list. Anything Dave offers or makes is top quality stuff.
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,529 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

on my new build there are velocity stacks with filters that fit over them...

In7anity!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users