Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NASA Super Touring Race Weekend Recap!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

POPULAR

We just wrapped up another great race weekend with NASA AZ at Arizona Motorsports Park!! The GT-R hung in there all weekend despite a couple of small problems with the brakes and some very high track temps. Ambient temps were around 90 and the track temp was well over 100!! Yowza.
This weekend’s MVP on our team was my wife Marissa with a stunning SECOND place overall finish on Saturday! She accepted many compliments on her driving skills and her lap times were faster than ever before at AMP. Sunday’s race was a very strange format called the ‘Australian Pursuit’. It was a really fun one, but the results were not as we had hoped, and I had a small off that didn’t help matters (lost about 10 secs). All in all it was a great weekend and both husband and wife had the second quickest times in Race Group each day. So the gap between husband and wife is narrowing, which is what makes a great team!

And thanks to everyone who has supported us this year!
BSE Performance
SPN Performance
Rogue Fabrication
Andy Lee Racing
We Don't Lift

Attached Images

• 12BFCCD2-10DA-4673-9277-8B76F1A07208.jpeg
  • 6B1160CC-3291-4D92-9169-12E158663C3E.jpeg
  • F709BA6A-E0A8-405B-B394-5F3E5D48C60E.jpeg
  • 76C5E8B5-FBB9-48BC-8FB4-5872891EAEB5.jpeg
  • 2B78E834-DA19-4DF8-B0AF-3C9CEAD143ED.jpeg
  • D61C5D10-CAE4-4750-B100-13DDCF8DB483.jpeg
  • 2AF01323-8D3B-46EA-87A7-B54D906CBCB2.jpeg

Edited by elf_cruiser, 29 October 2017 - 09:24 PM.

• forty-two, 7racer, thehelix112 and 2 others like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

that's so awesome Elf!

Congrats!  Was it that mustang again in the lead?

are you going to duct the brakes more?

how did engine temps do with that new hood?

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

that's so awesome Elf!

Congrats! Was it that mustang again in the lead?

are you going to duct the brakes more?
how did engine temps do with that new hood?

Thanks man!! Different mustang but yes, it was a mustang that had the quickest time. The brake issue was my fault - I snapped one of my bleeder fittings and had to replace it trackside. Couldn’t quite get all of the air out so we were both taking it easy on the brakes. I really just need to pony up for new calipers!

The hood helps a bit but I’m still having some water temp issues after about 15-20 mins. We think that maybe my Dodson tstat is allowing water to flow too fast so the radiator doesn’t have time to cool it down. Not entirely sure, but these 30 minute races are definitely harder on the car than the 15 minute Time Trial sessions we used to do. Honestly at this point it is all about learning and gaining experience!
  • 7racer and choerizo like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,629 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Congrats to you and Marissa! Best husband + wife team combo out there.

You and brake calipers don't get along.

• 7racer and elf_cruiser like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Congrats to you and Marissa! Best husband + wife team combo out there.

You and brake calipers don't get along.

Thanks man!! It’s great to have her support for sure!
And yes, I don’t why I keep destroying these things. In this case the little repair adapter stripped (steel bleeder into a brass fitting :rolleyes:) so I had to replace it.

I may look into some industrial hydraulic bleeder valves to replace all the factory screws. We’ll see if I can find something.
  • 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

whats next for engine cooling?

and when are you adding aero!

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

whats next for engine cooling?

and when are you adding aero!

I guess switching back to a factory tstat is the next step. Beyond that, an aftermarket radiator maybe?

As for Aero I would really like to go straight to the GT3 spec parts. It will be another year at least before I have funds for that though. The next big mods will be a DSC controller and then the Tractive dampers. My thinking is that I would like to maximize mechanical grip and spend some time on suspension development before I start throwing aero into the mix.
  • 7racer likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,812 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

The next big mods will be a DSC controller and then the Tractive dampers. My thinking is that I would like to maximize mechanical grip and spend some time on suspension development before I start throwing aero into the mix.

This is exactly my thinking/plan also. Keen to see how you go!

Dave
  • elf_cruiser likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,713 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Superb showing my friend.

Will the rules allow a change to RacingBrake calipers?

Shawn

• elf_cruiser likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Superb showing my friend.

Will the rules allow a change to RacingBrake calipers?

Shawn

Yes, definitely. There are no restrictions on brakes whatsoever. And honestly someday I will move up to the unlimited class where there are no restrictions at all besides safety equipment. :)

Eventually I may do some brake upgrades but honestly I am very happy with the brake package I have now - aside from the leaky bleeders haha
  • 7racer likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,713 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Eventually I may do some brake upgrades but honestly I am very happy with the brake package I have now - aside from the leaky bleeders haha

The big advantage for me is that RacingBrake calipers upgrade the OEM design to a racing grade caliper, and not the "brownbo" street/track hybrid that they are.  Same pad size, easier to change rotors, easier to change pads.

It's just a better caliper to me.  You can use the same rotors and pads, just the caliper changes.  The bleeders seem more robust as well.  Just my $0.02.

Shawn

• elf_cruiser likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,812 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
All sounds good. Who is using RB in actual racing series. Because it's pretty easy to find brembo, alcon, ap racing in every series..? Even new players like brypar immediately get their stuff onto touring car series to vet it.

Dave
  • forty-two and 7racer like this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,046 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

All sounds good. Who is using RB in actual racing series. Because it's pretty easy to find brembo, alcon, ap racing in every series..? Even new players like brypar immediately get their stuff onto touring car series to vet it.

Dave

Not that many

I think recently on a Porsche car that RB posted on
Can’t remember which series

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

The big advantage for me is that RacingBrake calipers upgrade the OEM design to a racing grade caliper, and not the "brownbo" street/track hybrid that they are. Same pad size, easier to change rotors, easier to change pads.

It's just a better caliper to me. You can use the same rotors and pads, just the caliper changes. The bleeders seem more robust as well. Just my $0.02.

Shawn

I’m sure that they are an upgrade from the stock calipers for the reasons that you mentioned - however I’m not so certain that they would result in decreased laptimes. And that’s where I need to spend my resources for now.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,713 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I’m sure that they are an upgrade from the stock calipers for the reasons that you mentioned - however I’m not so certain that they would result in decreased laptimes. And that’s where I need to spend my resources for now.

If you have to go easy on the brakes because the bleeder is damaged, they might result in lower laptimes.  Multiple friends of mine have had to repair bleeders on the stock brembo's.  I have not, but I converted to these calipers after four track seasons when my stockers turned brown, and I got sick of removing the hard lines to change rotors.

I can say for sure they are more robust and easier to work on and work with than the stockers.  Reliable=faster.

I understand what you're saying though.

Shawn

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

If you have to go easy on the brakes because the bleeder is damaged, they might result in lower laptimes. Multiple friends of mine have had to repair bleeders on the stock brembo's. I have not, but I converted to these calipers after four track seasons when my stockers turned brown, and I got sick of removing the hard lines to change rotors.

I can say for sure they are more robust and easier to work on and work with than the stockers. Reliable=faster.

I understand what you're saying though.

Shawn

Haha! Yeah man I totally hear you. The answer to my problems though is to fix these bleeder screws BEFORE I get to the track lol. That would reduce some stress while driving the car, no doubt. And I will say this - even having to be easy on the brakes, I can still outbrake most of the other cars in my field. The stock brakes are extremely good when they are working at 100%.
  • 7racer likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

I guess switching back to a factory tstat is the next step. Beyond that, an aftermarket radiator maybe?

Just to follow up on this - I ordered a new thermostat with housing last week and installed it on Saturday. Easier job than I had thought, which is good. I also think it will help quite a bit, however not because of the thermostat. Here’s the thing - I had forgotten that many years ago I had a shop do a mod to the tstat housing which sent cold water back to the trans. At the time I really needed to cool the trans, and we did so at the expensive of higher water temps in the engine. Well, fast forward to today and now I have the rocking BSE trans cooler and I’ve actually disconnected the factory water lines from the transmission. Soooo - that mod was still diverting some of the cool water as it comes out of the radiator and sending it back to the trans, only to be looped and fed back into the engine. It’s hard to say what percentage of water was taking this extra path, but now that I’ve swapped back to a factory tstat I am sure that 100% of the cool water will go into the engine, and that should help!!

We are racing again in 2 weeks so we will know more then. Also the weather has cooled off and that should help as well
  • forty-two, 7racer and thehelix112 like this

forty-two

forty-two

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 726 posts
  • Joined 19-March 13
  • LocationATX

Just to follow up on this - I ordered a new thermostat with housing last week and installed it on Saturday. Easier job than I had thought, which is good. I also think it will help quite a bit, however not because of the thermostat. Here’s the thing - I had forgotten that many years ago I had a shop do a mod to the tstat housing which sent cold water back to the trans. At the time I really needed to cool the trans, and we did so at the expensive of higher water temps in the engine. Well, fast forward to today and now I have the rocking BSE trans cooler and I’ve actually disconnected the factory water lines from the transmission. Soooo - that mod was still diverting some of the cool water as it comes out of the radiator and sending it back to the trans, only to be looped and fed back into the engine. It’s hard to say what percentage of water was taking this extra path, but now that I’ve swapped back to a factory tstat I am sure that 100% of the cool water will go into the engine, and that should help!!

We are racing again in 2 weeks so we will know more then. Also the weather has cooled off and that should help as well

I'd bet that's it!

#keeplistofmodsonphone....except for 7, his fills the cloud.

• 7racer and thehelix112 like this

ATX GTROC on Facebook - link

14492399_1137348429689454_63336591853219

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Hahahaha! Yeah, man I have had this car for over 5 years. I’ve never kept any other car that long!

gtrguyinaz

gtrguyinaz

Stock

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 26-April 17

Well done to both of you.............

• elf_cruiser likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users