Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modding and Then Selling Right Away.....Why????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Formidable

Formidable

Stage 1 Member

• 161 posts
  • Joined 24-December 15
Wow... Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. Which shop did the work?

This. This is why I sold mine, sent the car off to shep for another 5k+ worth of work, got it back, builder confidence dropped after a few hundred miles with it. Begun to realize it might be time, also pending 2018 talk and didn't wanna be around if 2018s killed values even more (which we'll see).... New buyer got the vehicle, and found anomalies nobody other than with mechanical experience could have seen, I started digging into it more and more found overcharging/miss-interpretation of parts, invoice discrepancies, you name it my trying to give the little guy shot and save a few bucks and throw at nicer parts ended up putting me in the red rather than saving me money. This is why when people ask do I miss the GTR I say NO. I don't miss being affiliated with that persons work or being at their mercy if something had happened. I believe you guys got ahold of the car for tuning, and aside from the owner needing to do a clutch I believe its running fine for him thankfully.

Also oddly enough since you're posting here, one of the main selling points to get me to build there was the builder in question saying he built his own GTR motor, when it was actually done at TSM lol.

SO yes, I would say lots of people realize they fucked up, or overtime lose confidence in what they thought they paid for and move on. Lots of us can afford to do that especially the earlier adopters, as these 700-1200whp cars get into the 50s and 60s with shit parts, in-ept builders, I think lots of new GTR owners are going to find themselves up shits creek. Where most of us budgeted for it, and knew the risks.

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,596 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
[quote name="OuLikeBlueGTRs" post="131255" timestamp="151059145

I mean I know Tim hates Riggs,

[/quote]

Me hate Riggs. Haha I wouldn’t piss on that fuck if he was on fire 🔥
  • L.L. likes this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Guido

Guido

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

Oh come on, Tim, don't be coy, tell us what you really think!! :)

• Tim likes this

Guido

Guido

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

10kfor FBO whatttt lol

I mean I know Tim hates Riggs, but a FBO/E85 setup now new (best shops excluded) would be about 6k-7k max... If you even remotely shopped around it would be less if you got used parts. 

Anything under 700hp is VERY affordable even bolting on 28s to stock motor. You can't hide from doing the trans right with the right guy (SHEP) when you want 1000+ 

I think the cost of parts depends on what you buy, and who the manufacturer is.  Quality parts, even used, will cost more.  And then it comes down to whether you do the install or have someone do it for you.  my $10,000 includes labor to do the work.  But you are right, you can get cheaper parts used, but you take a risk there as well.

Also, sorry to hear about your bad experience.  That can definitely sour you on a car. :(

Edited by Guido, 13 November 2017 - 08:03 PM.

• Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,596 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
Well that didn’t take long to get spammed

Attached Images

• A74AD2ED-7D47-434F-BEA9-E0E8F4C166AB.jpeg
  • 35853E8E-96B6-4E14-9A5F-3D4419404CB8.jpeg
  • E837960D-09ED-4510-91E2-05B55D664485.jpeg
  • B19DA61D-4DB4-4A6B-B6EC-B191785B87A7.jpeg

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 479 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

I have no idea why or how but I got added to that stupid email list as well. Immediately unsubscribed after the 1st email. I never asked to be added. F'k that clown.

• Tim likes this
fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - Built 3.8L / PTE-5858 CEA
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

CasualObserver

CasualObserver

Stage 4 Member

• 590 posts
  • Joined 11-August 14

I also think many people skimp on things like transmission, axles, motor build etc lusting for power on a budget.  when the car fails, or they realize the investment needed to get to exactly where they want, they punch out.

• Tim likes this

Tim1137

Tim1137

Stage 2 Member

• 218 posts
  • Joined 04-January 16
  • LocationSomerset MA

My personal opinion is this:

Person buys GTR for 70K... person spends 8-10K on bolt ons and tuning.. person then spends another 40K on build and it takes 6 months without their car.

Person in the meantime is impatient and realizes huracan prices have dropped

Person takes delivery of built GTR and immediately wants to sell to buy a Huracan 

am I right? lol

• Tim likes this

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 353 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

I think the cost of parts depends on what you buy, and who the manufacturer is.  Quality parts, even used, will cost more.  And then it comes down to whether you do the install or have someone do it for you.  my $10,000 includes labor to do the work.  But you are right, you can get cheaper parts used, but you take a risk there as well.

Also, sorry to hear about your bad experience.  That can definitely sour you on a car. :(

Eh I've not seen much risk with used BOLT ONS, buying intakes, exhaust, injectors, and downpipes is pretty straight forward lol.

I would never skimp on a build or try to save money again, but for bolt ons and I know Tim won't like it :ph34r: I'd honestly get a basic SBD package because its so damn cheap and for a quick 100-120whp it does its job for pennies lol.

Honestly with Harper on the tune, Shep on the trans, and basic Manley rods/pistons and ETS turbos with ID injectors (at least I hope wouldn't shock me if it had some china rods in there that the builder bought to save money lmao but hopefully Manley rods and pistons) my parts/tuner probably saved me some MAJOR CLUSTER FUCKS with the builder, which he could have fucked up if I'd gone cheapO with jacks parts or something. 

The platform is amazing, there are some amazing people still left in teh community and I loved the car, just won't ever give a little guy a shot ever again, with my R8 or another GTR

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 14 November 2017 - 01:39 PM.

• 7racer likes this

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 869 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

Honestly I see this more than anything.

I think most sales that are close to the build are because the person realized that they choose the wrong shop. It's not extremely clear pre-build process to most for some reason but man once in the middle or at the end I think a lot of people are either so fed up with the car at that point given the issues or delay in process. Or afterward it simply has all kinds of annoying issues that they just don't wanna deal with it.

It really bothers me to be honest! I have seen shitty shops run some really awesome people out of our hobby and I can't even begin to tell you how bad it pisses me off.

So yes I would say the number 1 reason for people selling right after a build is because their shop of choice sucked. Obviously that isn't always the case for sure... but I bet it's 9/10

Say you (Cicio) are building a personal car for street use, with no particular budget pressures.  And say TSM has a 2 year waiting list. (Business is good haha.) So gentlemanly competition being no problem for you, what shops would you look at?  

T1 and.... yep that is about it.  I have seen more stuff that would shock you guys come out of not only the small shops but the big ones just alike.  I'm sure there are some smaller guys that do a decent job I just don't know of them.  Anything over 1200hp I honestly wouldn't trust anyone except T1.  Any other shops I can think of that I have seen do decent work don't do their own tuning which I wouldn't allow if it was my car. 

So if TSM wasn't in existence and I was building a car.. thats where I would go. 

Thankfully we don't have a 2 year waiting list, we do take care of our customers arguably better than any shop in the world and we do build bad ass cars.  You're welcome!  LMAO

I wish there was a sanctioning body for performance shops.  We need an FAA of shops to approve people.  There is no way in the world 90% of these shops should be allowed to touch these 100+k cars and learn at clients expense.  It's ridiculous.   No more should someone who has never flown a plane be able to just head on up into the sky and try it out... pray he doesn't run into something and kill a bunch of people!  lol!  

• Tim, 7racer, ghostrider and 1 other like this

~Cicio

-OneLap of America Overall 1st Place - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

-TX2K13 Overall 1st Place | TX2K13 Class 2 1st Place

-Shootout 2015 Overall 1st Place & 2nd Place

-TX2K15 Class 4 2nd Place | TX2K15 Roll Race 1st Place SS

-FL2K 2015 Overall 1st Place

-TSM Shop Car (ETS Pro1900) @ 7.594 & 189.51

-Fastest Customer @ 7.70@180

-Fastest Stock Frame Turbo GT-R In the World @ 8.14@170

-Standing Half Mile Stock Frame Turbo Record @ 206.4 TSM ELITE

-Standing Half Mile 218MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg

Call: 678-297-7770

cicio@topspeedmotorsports.com

TopSpeedMotorsports.com

**AWD Dyno Tuning

**Parts, Sales, Service

Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Stage 1 Member

• 156 posts
  • Joined 13-March 16
  • LocationAhead of You :)

Wow... Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. Which shop did the work?

Good luck finding that out.  Look the guy you quoted responded to the thread and never specifically called out that shop.  I find the GT-R community is the first one I've become a part of where it's such a huge taboo to actually call out certain shops for their lack of accountability.  It's like high school drama and a real shame.  It's just unfortunate the great majority of the GT-R owners aren't privy to this information because the second someone calls out a shop they get blasted and it becomes a huge drama fest.    Other cars I've owned and was an active member of the community the individual car owners spoke freely on forums and whatnot and it kept the community safer knowing who was reputable and who wasn't.  

Well I'll leave the good players in but the bad shop out of the story but here we go I'll play ball about a particular shop that people rave about...have fun.  

I first bought my car and immediately had a fuel issue (lost power up top).  It was a well built FBO car.  I instead of bringing it to the original shop I go to a different shop (due to location).  I'm allegedly told the car needs a new fuel pump.  After the job was completed my wife and I asked some questions about the fault with the car and the shop owner was rather insulting towards her (she's automotive savvy).  I question if it was even necessary at this point but since we just bought the car and we wanted it running we went with the install.  Upgraded the fuel system.

One problem fixed but now the car wouldn't crank worth a damn.  It was embarrassingly bad and would only happen on occasion.  This shop's tuner couldn't figure out why it wouldn't crank over at random times.  I then decided to get a second opinion.  I spoke to Bill @ SiR over the phone about my issue based on word of mouth.  He figured out the problem in five minutes.  Kudos to him.  He had me pop the hood and take a photo and send it to him.  He tells me they didn't install a check valve.  Check valve installed, problem gone.  I look at my invoice and yup I was charged for one.  Did they put one on?  Nope.  Did I tell the shop they short changed me the part?  No I figured a $75 part it's water under the bridge I'll just move on.  So Bill figures it out and the other tuner couldn't.  I guess I can't fault him given the fuel system was missing a hardware component...or could I?  Read on....

So now I'm wondering how good is the actual tune on this car given this whole rodeo...I make a trip to Bill @ SiR and let him take a look at the tune and get the car retuned.  When I bough the car I was told by this shop who did the fuel upgrades that this car is a "strong FBO car."  Well, we did a base dyno run and we could see why.  Car made IIRC around 670wtq with AFR in the 13s.  That explains why it felt strong.  Can we say goodbye stock rods and stock transmission?  We safely dialed the car down to a more modest 605wtq.  Car's been great ever since over 20,000 miles later.

Most recently I needed brakes.  I figured I'll call this shop to see out of curiousity what they'd offer.  I specifically told this shop what my needs were.  I specifically told them I had AP Racing J Slots on the car and wanted something not as aggressive being it's daily driven and not at track car.  I specifically asked would this match up to the AP racing hats.   I was told yes.  LOL...that certainly wasn't the case when they arrived.  Rears fit fine but I had to frantically try and find front rotor hats.  Why you ask did I go back to them after the previous?  Well the price they charged me on the brake rotors / pads was rather competitive so I figured just ordering parts it shouldn't be a big deal.  

So in short...done with them.  Can't install a system properly due to neglecting to put all the parts on.  Can't tune the car right.  Can't order me parts right.  Hey though, forbid we say something on the forum!  Party on!

• 7racer likes this
2014 Nissan GT-R :D 
Mods: FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
Best 60': 1.534 (R888 32psi)
Best ET: 10.247 Best MPH: 135.13

Other Rides:
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus (Ara Blue Crystal)

ghostrider

ghostrider

Stage 1 Member

• 131 posts
  • Joined 07-February 14

Tim it looks like you're Advertising for SBD....lmao   :poke:  :poke:   :rofl:

• Tim likes this

Tim1137

Tim1137

Stage 2 Member

• 218 posts
  • Joined 04-January 16
  • LocationSomerset MA

Good luck finding that out.  Look the guy you quoted responded to the thread and never specifically called out that shop.  I find the GT-R community is the first one I've become a part of where it's such a huge taboo to actually call out certain shops for their lack of accountability.  It's like high school drama and a real shame.  It's just unfortunate the great majority of the GT-R owners aren't privy to this information because the second someone calls out a shop they get blasted and it becomes a huge drama fest.    Other cars I've owned and was an active member of the community the individual car owners spoke freely on forums and whatnot and it kept the community safer knowing who was reputable and who wasn't.  

Well I'll leave the good players in but the bad shop out of the story but here we go I'll play ball about a particular shop that people rave about...have fun.  

I first bought my car and immediately had a fuel issue (lost power up top).  It was a well built FBO car.  I instead of bringing it to the original shop I go to a different shop (due to location).  I'm allegedly told the car needs a new fuel pump.  After the job was completed my wife and I asked some questions about the fault with the car and the shop owner was rather insulting towards her (she's automotive savvy).  I question if it was even necessary at this point but since we just bought the car and we wanted it running we went with the install.  Upgraded the fuel system.

One problem fixed but now the car wouldn't crank worth a damn.  It was embarrassingly bad and would only happen on occasion.  This shop's tuner couldn't figure out why it wouldn't crank over at random times.  I then decided to get a second opinion.  I spoke to Bill @ SiR over the phone about my issue based on word of mouth.  He figured out the problem in five minutes.  Kudos to him.  He had me pop the hood and take a photo and send it to him.  He tells me they didn't install a check valve.  Check valve installed, problem gone.  I look at my invoice and yup I was charged for one.  Did they put one on?  Nope.  Did I tell the shop they short changed me the part?  No I figured a $75 part it's water under the bridge I'll just move on.  So Bill figures it out and the other tuner couldn't.  I guess I can't fault him given the fuel system was missing a hardware component...or could I?  Read on....

So now I'm wondering how good is the actual tune on this car given this whole rodeo...I make a trip to Bill @ SiR and let him take a look at the tune and get the car retuned.  When I bough the car I was told by this shop who did the fuel upgrades that this car is a "strong FBO car."  Well, we did a base dyno run and we could see why.  Car made IIRC around 670wtq with AFR in the 13s.  That explains why it felt strong.  Can we say goodbye stock rods and stock transmission?  We safely dialed the car down to a more modest 605wtq.  Car's been great ever since over 20,000 miles later.

Most recently I needed brakes.  I figured I'll call this shop to see out of curiousity what they'd offer.  I specifically told this shop what my needs were.  I specifically told them I had AP Racing J Slots on the car and wanted something not as aggressive being it's daily driven and not at track car.  I specifically asked would this match up to the AP racing hats.   I was told yes.  LOL...that certainly wasn't the case when they arrived.  Rears fit fine but I had to frantically try and find front rotor hats.  Why you ask did I go back to them after the previous?  Well the price they charged me on the brake rotors / pads was rather competitive so I figured just ordering parts it shouldn't be a big deal.  

So in short...done with them.  Can't install a system properly due to neglecting to put all the parts on.  Can't tune the car right.  Can't order me parts right.  Hey though, forbid we say something on the forum!  Party on!

Anyone who sells brakes should have known that the AP discs use a different mounting pattern  :angry:  Sorry you had to go through that. Rookie mistake on their part whoever they are. Or they are just catalog sellers with zero knowledge of what they are actually selling  <_<  Did they at least allow you to return them?

Maniphanh

Maniphanh

Stock

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 04-November 17

For me is the sensation when that 1000+ whp kicks in around 4500rpm oh man it is just very fulfilling and I don't think words can describe.

I don't have any plans to sell my car for any reasons though I do get into the zone where I want something different so to prevent me from selling my GTR I plan to lease sport car AMG or M and just keep changing lease car. This way i can keep my GTR for a long time plus owning 1000+ whp GTR in itself is pretty awesome!

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 353 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

For me is the sensation when that 1000+ whp kicks in around 4500rpm oh man it is just very fulfilling and I don't think words can describe.

I don't have any plans to sell my car for any reasons though I do get into the zone where I want something different so to prevent me from selling my GTR I plan to lease sport car AMG or M and just keep changing lease car. This way i can keep my GTR for a long time plus owning 1000+ whp GTR in itself is pretty awesome!

Having my m4 was a nice change of pace with the GTR, it felt like an Sclass lol

• Maniphanh likes this

Nosferatu

Nosferatu

Stage 1 Member

• 156 posts
  • Joined 13-March 16
  • LocationAhead of You :)

Anyone who sells brakes should have known that the AP discs use a different mounting pattern  :angry:  Sorry you had to go through that. Rookie mistake on their part whoever they are. Or they are just catalog sellers with zero knowledge of what they are actually selling  <_<  Did they at least allow you to return them?

They tried to do the right thing (allowing me to exchange) but wouldn't allow a return.  I felt that was complete BS given their screw up I'm thinking you guys should try and acquire the hats for me but since I did pay them cash I was kinda screwed.  I outsourced a set of Brembo hats from a local guy who gifted them to me for free (kudos to them) and got them installed.  If I had paid with credit card I would have dropped everything off and froze the transaction and have been done with it.  

2014 Nissan GT-R :D 
Mods: FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
Best 60': 1.534 (R888 32psi)
Best ET: 10.247 Best MPH: 135.13

Other Rides:
2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus (Ara Blue Crystal)

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,596 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
Ilm selling my GTR,lots of history behind it.......Hahaa who the fuck would I be kidding,I still love my car..Mine since 11/29/08 number 1966
  • 7racer, elf_cruiser, OuLikeBlueGTRs and 1 other like this

tg07

tg07

Stage 1 Member

• 175 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin

Ilm selling my GTR,lots of history behind it.......Hahaa who the fuck would I be kidding,I still love my car..Mine since 11/29/08 number 1966

You son of a bitch. Had me for a second there...
  • Tim likes this

Alpha 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users