Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modding and Then Selling Right Away.....Why????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Guido

Guido

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

I wanted to start this discussion because I am truly interested in the answer.

I see sooo many GTR's that have been modified and then are for sale within a few thousand miles.  The modifications are anywhere from FBO to major builds.

People put tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars into these mods, and then sell them and lose their asses.

Why is this?  I could see a few here and there, but when you look at the sales threads on the other site, it seems like a great many are like that.

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,699 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
No idea. I’m never selling mine.

A lot of people with money don’t care about wasting it. They get bored quickly and move on to the next thing, thinking it will be more exciting or better somehow...
  • Tim, 7racer, Ian201 and 1 other like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

Guido

Guido

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

I can see that, but most FBO owners don't have that kind of money to burn, so it just seems crazy to me.  If I'm going to spend that kind of money, then I'm keeping that bitch for a while.

tg07

tg07

Stage 1 Member

• 175 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin
I'm in the process of gathering info and determining whether I want to go with a build. One major concern I have is that I'll get through the build, have some fun, attend some events, and then say, "Now what?"

I don't want to build a race car, but I want a car that's fast enough to have fun at events. I also have 2 boys that love going for rides in the GTR, so I'm not putting a cage in it.

Alpha 7

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,596 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Some people just are into the build process,that’s part of the excitement of owning the car,then sell and do it all over again
  • Evolunchbox and Mattson like this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

Guido

Guido

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

Yeah, but at the risk of losing money?  I know a lot of people have a lot of money to burn, but is just doesn't make sense to me.  Maybe since I don't have all that cash to burn??

I think if you research a car that has been built, and it meets what you are looking for, it a better way to go.  Less time to wait, and a lot less money.  But making sure it's built right is key.

• Tim likes this

2highpsi

2highpsi

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 843 posts
  • Joined 06-December 13
  • LocationCambridge, OH

Some people just are into the build process,that’s part of the excitement of owning the car,then sell and do it all over again

That is pretty much me.

I suppose at every juncture I could always just part out the old parts, buy new parts, and do the new build on the chassis I already own... but it just doesn't make sense to me to tear down a well sorted car.  Rather just start from scratch every time.

• Tim likes this

2014 Deep Blue Pearl Track Edition GT-R Alpha 10  #80 of 160

tg07

tg07

Stage 1 Member

• 175 posts
  • Joined 02-November 16
  • LocationWisconsin

Honestly, the thought of sending my car to be built is really exciting.  Buying something already built would be okay, but having it built, getting text updates with pictures, and the "experience" of picking her up after undergoing the knife...well, there's not a whole lot of things to compare the feeling to.

• Tim and Dan_585 like this

Alpha 7

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,306 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15

Selling my GTR to build another dream and put money towards moving. I'll definitely lose a little bit from labor but not much. If I part out i'll make out close to even but it will be a p.i.t.a. 

Another factor for me was building to 1000whp+ on this platform is more than i want to spend, from FBO E85 to do it right is another $20-$30k.

I'll be back in another GTR one day. This car has a special place in my heart and the community is one of the best around. 

• Tim and elf_cruiser like this

Guido

Guido

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

That raises another interesting look at things.  You can get to FBO for around $10,000 or so, but the stress on the rods and trans with the torque will eventually take its toll.  A rebuilt engine or trans has been the next step (not always by choice either) for a lot of people on these boards (for the $20 to 30K higher cost).  So do you go FBO for now and wait to see if anything fails, or do you spend more upfront on a built trans and engine and be done with it so you don't have to worry.  And end up, most likely, spending less money in the long run?

I have been looking at GTR's for a few years now and will be getting one in the next month or so.  I'm headed towards the built engine and trans being already done so it's less issues for me to worry about later on down the road. 

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,902 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

POPULAR

The real problem is there are 2 completely different possible reasons why people sell project cars (of all types, not just GTRs).  The most common reason is that the car never did what they hoped.  Always had quirks, problems, just ended up being a headache.  They are willing to take a huge loss to just move on. This is probably 80+% of all "built" cars for sale on the internet - again, across all makes and models.

Now the second category does exist and is a great opportunity for the buyer.  If you can find something built by a T1, TSM, etc and know for sure it was done right but the owner has just lost interest, then yes, jump on it.  But I would argue these are the exceptions not the rule.

• Tim, ian.r, changster and 2 others like this
-Jeff

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,574 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
I want to say some folks are probably just not happy with what they did for one reason or another.

Or the tuner and or parts they used sucked for whatever reason.
  • Tim likes this

tjlazer

tjlazer

Stock

• Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 19-November 14
  • LocationTacoma, WA USA

I say it's kinda like an impulse control thing. They don't care about later, they want to satisfy the NOW.  I want 800awhp NOW, I don't care that I get bored easily and trade off/sell/lease a car every 1-3 years, etc.  I personally would never do any extensive mods on a car unless I knew I was keeping it for a while.  Years ago when I was leasing a G35, I knew I was probably not going to keep it unless i did a buyout after the lease.  I  only did wheel spacers, tint, CAI and a sub box with amp.  If I did buy the car I was going to go all out on the mods.  Well it turned out the car got vandalized a month before I was to turn in/buy out the car and I turned it in.  Glad I did't go nuts on the mods.

Edited by tjlazer, 20 October 2017 - 04:21 PM.

Guido

Guido

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-January 13

It seems like a big portion of these sales is because the car did not turn out how it was wanted or expected, or it was f''d up and would cost too much to get it fixed correctly.

• ian.r likes this

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 869 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

POPULAR

It seems like a big portion of these sales is because the car did not turn out how it was wanted or expected, or it was f''d up and would cost too much to get it fixed correctly.

Honestly I see this more than anything.

I think most sales that are close to the build are because the person realized that they choose the wrong shop. It's not extremely clear pre-build process to most for some reason but man once in the middle or at the end I think a lot of people are either so fed up with the car at that point given the issues or delay in process. Or afterward it simply has all kinds of annoying issues that they just don't wanna deal with it.

It really bothers me to be honest! I have seen shitty shops run some really awesome people out of our hobby and I can't even begin to tell you how bad it pisses me off.

So yes I would say the number 1 reason for people selling right after a build is because their shop of choice sucked. Obviously that isn't always the case for sure... but I bet it's 9/10
  • Tim, ian.r, ETS Michael and 5 others like this

~Cicio

-OneLap of America Overall 1st Place - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

-TX2K13 Overall 1st Place | TX2K13 Class 2 1st Place

-Shootout 2015 Overall 1st Place & 2nd Place

-TX2K15 Class 4 2nd Place | TX2K15 Roll Race 1st Place SS

-FL2K 2015 Overall 1st Place

-TSM Shop Car (ETS Pro1900) @ 7.594 & 189.51

-Fastest Customer @ 7.70@180

-Fastest Stock Frame Turbo GT-R In the World @ 8.14@170

-Standing Half Mile Stock Frame Turbo Record @ 206.4 TSM ELITE

-Standing Half Mile 218MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg

Call: 678-297-7770

cicio@topspeedmotorsports.com

TopSpeedMotorsports.com

**AWD Dyno Tuning

**Parts, Sales, Service

gutdoc

gutdoc

Stock

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 04-May 17

I think most sales that are close to the build are because the person realized that they choose the wrong shop. It's not extremely clear pre-build process to most for some reason but man once in the middle or at the end I think a lot of people are either so fed up with the car at that point given the issues or delay in process. Or afterward it simply has all kinds of annoying issues that they just don't wanna deal with it.

It really bothers me to be honest! I have seen shitty shops run some really awesome people out of our hobby and I can't even begin to tell you how bad it pisses me off.

So yes I would say the number 1 reason for people selling right after a build is because their shop of choice sucked. Obviously that isn't always the case for sure... but I bet it's 9/10

Say you (Cicio) are building a personal car for street use, with no particular budget pressures.  And say TSM has a 2 year waiting list. (Business is good haha.) So gentlemanly competition being no problem for you, what shops would you look at?  

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,812 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Woh 2 years? Man business is good!

Biff_Malibu

Biff_Malibu

Stage 4 Member

• 644 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
  • LocationLos Angeles

I've built cars and sold them on several occasions. Part of the joy of car ownership for me is owning different cars. I often will get bored of a car, want something different, and move on. In the process of owning the car, I like to make it "perfect" by my own standards.

At this point in my life I am slowing this habit. It's simply becoming an issue of time, and the concept of waste is beginning to bother me. Instead, I buy cars I really like, and now I keep them... Excluding my wife's X5M, I have five cars, with a sixth on the way. I may need to ditch one though, and the issue is I just don't know which one. All of my cars except one tastefully upgraded. 

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 353 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

That raises another interesting look at things.  You can get to FBO for around $10,000 or so, but the stress on the rods and trans with the torque will eventually take its toll.  A rebuilt engine or trans has been the next step (not always by choice either) for a lot of people on these boards (for the $20 to 30K higher cost).  So do you go FBO for now and wait to see if anything fails, or do you spend more upfront on a built trans and engine and be done with it so you don't have to worry.  And end up, most likely, spending less money in the long run?

I have been looking at GTR's for a few years now and will be getting one in the next month or so.  I'm headed towards the built engine and trans being already done so it's less issues for me to worry about later on down the road. 

10kfor FBO whatttt lol

I mean I know Tim hates Riggs, but a FBO/E85 setup now new (best shops excluded) would be about 6k-7k max... If you even remotely shopped around it would be less if you got used parts. 

Anything under 700hp is VERY affordable even bolting on 28s to stock motor. You can't hide from doing the trans right with the right guy (SHEP) when you want 1000+ 

OuLikeBlueGTRs

OuLikeBlueGTRs

Stage 3 Member

• 353 posts
  • Joined 03-August 15

This. This is why I sold mine, sent the car off to shep for another 5k+ worth of work, got it back, builder confidence dropped after a few hundred miles with it. Begun to realize it might be time, also pending 2018 talk and didn't wanna be around if 2018s killed values even more (which we'll see).... New buyer got the vehicle, and found anomalies nobody other than with mechanical experience could have seen, I started digging into it more and more found overcharging/miss-interpretation of parts, invoice discrepancies, you name it my trying to give the little guy shot and save a few bucks and throw at nicer parts ended up putting me in the red rather than saving me money. This is why when people ask do I miss the GTR I say NO. I don't miss being affiliated with that persons work or being at their mercy if something had happened. I believe you guys got ahold of the car for tuning, and aside from the owner needing to do a clutch I believe its running fine for him thankfully. 

Also oddly enough since you're posting here, one of the main selling points to get me to build there was the builder in question saying he built his own GTR motor, when it was actually done at TSM lol.

SO yes, I would say lots of people realize they fucked up, or overtime lose confidence in what they thought they paid for and move on. Lots of us can afford to do that especially the earlier adopters, as these 700-1200whp cars get into the 50s and 60s with shit parts, in-ept builders, I think lots of new GTR owners are going to find themselves up shits creek. Where most of us budgeted for it, and knew the risks. 

Edited by OuLikeBlueGTRs, 13 November 2017 - 10:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users