Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

VDC off at the track. Who does this?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16
Saw a gtr plow into the wall last night at our local track. Fortunately the driver walked away with no major injuries! The car is badly damaged across the drivers size where it hit. I watched this car make multiple passes prior to the wreck, smoking the tires off at the line each time, so much it'd shift to second gear within 20' or so of the starting line. On the last pass it spun off the line, short shifted second and once the boost came in it started spinning again and spun around hitting the wall. This car has an aftermarket turbo setup, stock block/trans. Factory 20" wheels with r compound tires.

I spoke with the driver and tuner afterwards and found they were running in vdc off. They both looked at me funny when I explained I run in vdc R.

Am I in the minority running in R mode? What does everybody else here do? I'm wondering if the car would have saved itself by running in R mode as opposed to off.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Original CBA logic REQUIRED VDC to be off.  The reprogrammed logic for mine works best in R-comfort-off with my DSCSport controller and my Cobb tuning transmission map.

So, this is pretty common.

Once a high horsepower GT-R has gotten loose at the track, it's hard for VDC to reel it back it.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Clarification: The original CBA LAUNCH CONTROL required VDC off.  R-R-Off was the only setting it'd launch properly.  We got Cobb to let R-C-Off to be acceptable later to let the rear "squat" a little better.

Shawn

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,349 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
On VDC-off though the Cobb traction control will take over if it is setup properly

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16
I'm not sure what software it was running, didn't ask. The car was a dba though, so traction control doesn't have to be off to launch(at least I think, but again it's setup through the tuner).

Shawn, I'm not sure the traction control would have saved it once it was out of control, but I'd think tcs in r wouldn't let the car get sideways in the first place?

When I ran mine on the road course, I tried to push against the traction limit and was able to activate traction control multiple times and never felt out of control once.

But so far, it looks like I'm in the minority running vdc in r mode...

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 8,557 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Donโ€™t leave the house without her being R-C-Off
  • elf_cruiser, cjmatt and droptopp like this
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,666 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Donโ€™t leave the house without her being R-C-Off

Correction, R-R-Off
๐Ÿ˜‚๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ’จ
  • Tim, 7racer and thebeast like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

On VDC-off though the Cobb traction control will take over if it is setup properly

So it's not truly off then. Very interesting.

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,286 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15
Were you the FBO E85 GTR owner talking to someone with a red 600whp civic? Lol

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

Were you the FBO E85 GTR owner talking to someone with a red 600whp civic? Lol

No, I know that guy though. I believe he went 10.8X @128 or so. He's got a midnight opal.
  • Tim likes this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 872 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14

Only if you have Cobb advanced traction turned on. ;)
Using Tapatalk

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,684 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

When I ran mine on the road course, I tried to push against the traction limit and was able to activate traction control multiple times and never felt out of control once.

But so far, it looks like I'm in the minority running vdc in r mode...

The really high horsepower GT-R's can still get sideways from a hard hard launch.

And as far as being at the drag track, yes, you are likely one of the few that run R-R-R launch.

The road course is very very different than the drags.  Gettting a GT-R out of shape most certainly can be done, but as far as spins and backward on the road course, it is awfully hard to get backwards there.  Drag is another issue.  The way they get out of shape is from total loss of rear traction.  Applying the rear brakes (how our VDC works) once a 1000hp launch has hit, isn't always able to recover.

Shawn

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,572 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

No, I know that guy though. I believe he went 10.8X @128 or so. He's got a midnight opal.

he crashed a midnight opal? Those are rare, that sucks

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

The really high horsepower GT-R's can still get sideways from a hard hard launch.

And as far as being at the drag track, yes, you are likely one of the few that run R-R-R launch.

The road course is very very different than the drags. Gettting a GT-R out of shape most certainly can be done, but as far as spins and backward on the road course, it is awfully hard to get backwards there. Drag is another issue. The way they get out of shape is from total loss of rear traction. Applying the rear brakes (how our VDC works) once a 1000hp launch has hit, isn't always able to recover.

Shawn

This wasn't a fast gtr that wrecked, It was only trapping high 120's.

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

he crashed a midnight opal? Those are rare, that sucks

No, a black one. The opal did not wreck.
  • ian.r likes this

Dan_585

Dan_585

Stage 4 Member

• 1,286 posts
  • Joined 30-August 15
Oh haha I thought it was you for a second.

Zilla

Zilla

Stock

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

I always run on the track with factory ecu trac off and the cobb trac in the off position but that is on slicks. I would never run full trac off at my HP level if I ran Drag radials on the track. I despise anything but slicks on the track since its wheel hop heaven on our car. Sheared off a DSS pro rear axel a couple of weeks ago when i was hanging out for a street night and decided to do a couple passes at waste gate and Low BOTL using my street drag radials setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users