Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MFD+Audio/HVAC controls no longer working

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,059 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I might look to source one locally or pick up Crissy's if I don't decide to upgrade to DBA.

First, I strongly encourage you to pick up the legertas DBA replacement.

Secondly, if Crissy can't hook you up, my piece of shit CBA unit is collecting dust.  It's a piece of crap and I won't go back to it no matter what.  So if that expresses how strongly I feel about you getting legertas upgrade, it should.

Shawn

• Tim, 7racer and choerizo like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

haha that last comment of mine was meant for legertas.

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,938 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Welp, this happened to me now! Grrrrrrr

Choester, what did you end up doing? I really just need the cheapest option so I have gauges while on track to check temps.

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

that blows! shawn hooked me up with his bottom unit w/the HD. after i swapped it out, it worked like normal again. for what it's worth, i ended up buying another laptop hd to swap into my old unit. i was going to clone the hd out of the working unit onto the new drive and swap it back in to see if that would fix the issue but never got around to it.

cheapest option is to source someone that upgraded from CBA to DBA and still has the bottom unit collecting dust. 

OR upgrade to DBA MFD kit and caboodle. good luck dude. 

if i have time (in the middle of moving houses), i will still try my ghost thing to see if the old unit just had a failed hd. 

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,938 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Ahhh, so the issue was the bottom unit, not the screen itself. Copy that, thanks man!

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,938 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Just looked up pricing for some used master control units on EBAY - holy crap! $2500 used and $6000 new. The Legertas upgrade is cheaper!

At this point it may be better and easier to do the ECUTek bluetooth connect and buy an iPad mini to mount in place of the factory screen. That would give me all the gauges plus allow some basic tuning stuff all from the ipad.

Any other ideas? I don’t have the stereo or AC in the car anymore so I really just need to see temps, boost, and fuel level on the display.
  • 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,600 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Just looked up pricing for some used master control units on EBAY - holy crap! $2500 used and $6000 new. The Legertas upgrade is cheaper!

At this point it may be better and easier to do the ECUTek bluetooth connect and buy an iPad mini to mount in place of the factory screen. That would give me all the gauges plus allow some basic tuning stuff all from the ipad.

Any other ideas? I don’t have the stereo or AC in the car anymore so I really just need to see temps, boost, and fuel level on the display.

have u called another of the shops to see if they have some used unit around?

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,938 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

have u called another of the shops to see if they have some used unit around?

No sir, that’s a good idea though! I’m starting to think about giving up the factory display and swapping in something better - not really sure what’s out there...

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,600 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

No sir, that’s a good idea though! I’m starting to think about giving up the factory display and swapping in something better - not really sure what’s out there...

not a lot for that location....you could go hardcore and get the CF dash that the drag guys are running and run a motec display in it...but it would mean you would have to go motec and the cost of switching

• elf_cruiser likes this

In7anity!!

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 386 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

When my master unit failed (back in 2014), I contacted Clarion and sent them my failed unit for a refurbished one. Cost was $600. Still working great
  • elf_cruiser likes this
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,613 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

When my master unit failed (back in 2014), I contacted Clarion and sent them my failed unit for a refurbished one. Cost was $600. Still working great

Did you have a part number or contact you could share?
  • elf_cruiser likes this

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,613 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13

So the motec dash will work with a stock ECU, I would check with Tony on what channels it can get from the stock ECU vs Motec. The custom dash layout we worked on is being made to work with a stock ECU as well.
  • elf_cruiser likes this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 386 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Did you have a part number or contact you could share?

714-432-9033 - Clarion Repair Station

I found this number in my phone. I personally don't remember if this is who I contacted at the time but I'm sure it's in my phone for a reason. Lol
  • 7racer likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,938 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Awesome info SoCal - thanks dude! I’ll give em a ring soon.

7Baller/DSM - I saw the new Motec dash and that’s definitely badass! If I decide to spend that much coin I will most likely go with one of the AIM digital dash loggers since it would replace our AIM Solo that we use today. Kill two birds with one stone, etc.

It’s looking like the cheapest option is the Ecutek bluetooth module, which can stream gauge data to a tablet. However that option looks like a lot of work to get setup, and the digital dash display doesn’t look nearly as nice as AIM or Motec.

Lots of options and good info in this thread!

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 386 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

Awesome info SoCal - thanks dude! I’ll give em a ring soon.

7Baller/DSM - I saw the new Motec dash and that’s definitely badass! If I decide to spend that much coin I will most likely go with one of the AIM digital dash loggers since it would replace our AIM Solo that we use today. Kill two birds with one stone, etc.

It’s looking like the cheapest option is the Ecutek bluetooth module, which can stream gauge data to a tablet. However that option looks like a lot of work to get setup, and the digital dash display doesn’t look nearly as nice as AIM or Motec.

Lots of options and good info in this thread!

You're welcome.

I personally think the Ecutek dashboard will be not only very affordable but also very easy to set up. All you need it Exutek and the BT module. The App is as easy to use as any other smartphone app.

The gauges can be modified to be displayed to look vertical, horizontal or round like analog gauges. You can also set the low and high limits as well as an alarm that flashes the entire screen and/or the gauge so you don't have to read too much into the information displayed. Also, the size of each gauge you decide to display is fully customizable.

Edited by socalaviator, 30 January 2019 - 10:35 AM.

• elf_cruiser likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users