Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MFD+Audio/HVAC controls no longer working

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I'm a 2010 GT-R still with original MFD/control unit. Today the MFD decided to stop functioning and just displayed a solid black screen. No GT-R boot logo or any dials. Also none of the buttons seem to do anything either. Stereo/HVAC don't actually do anything nor do the respective steering wheel controls.

I checked a few usual suspects like fuses in the footwell but didn't see anything blown. Also did the battery disconnect for about half an hour and tried to "power cycle" the system. 

Any other ideas? (besides just upgrading to legertas' updated units)

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,742 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

The CBA MFD was a piece of shit.  It's been chronically plagued with multiple problems like yours.  Its one of the reasons that I upgraded to legertas later year MFD.  It's been great, and I highly recommend it.

I hope you can sort it.  We started having failures of these units as early as 2011 on the early delivered 2009 model years.

Shawn

• Tim, VR_power and cmurder1019 like this

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 909 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
How long was the extended warranty good for ? I don’t really remember but it is from the in service date as well.

OP, you can always ask the dealer to “good faith” as it’s a known and common issue.

Mine was replaced under extended warranty.

Edited by droptopp, 12 October 2017 - 11:33 AM.

Using Tapatalk

forty-two

forty-two

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 733 posts
  • Joined 19-March 13
  • LocationATX

I'm a 2010 GT-R still with original MFD/control unit. Today the MFD decided to stop functioning and just displayed a solid black screen. No GT-R boot logo or any dials. Also none of the buttons seem to do anything either. Stereo/HVAC don't actually do anything nor do the respective steering wheel controls.

I checked a few usual suspects like fuses in the footwell but didn't see anything blown. Also did the battery disconnect for about half an hour and tried to "power cycle" the system. 

I have an extra working CBA faceplate/control panel that you can try. It only takes about 10 min to give it a shot.

• 7racer and choerizo like this

ATX GTROC on Facebook - link

14492399_1137348429689454_63336591853219

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,732 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Yikes! Good luck man. It seems odd that they would all die at the same time since they are all separate systems. Did you check the fuses underhood as well?

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I think there was a post that once the hard drive goes the whole system bites the dust.

• Tim and elf_cruiser like this

In7anity!!

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,732 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

I think there was a post that once the hard drive goes the whole system bites the dust.

That would make sense. Come on Choe, aren’t you an IT guy? No boot device means the OS won’t load, hahaha!
  • 7racer and droptopp like this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

legertas

legertas

Stage 1 Member

• Vendors
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 13-October 14
  • LocationLithuania

POPULAR

Might died you AV unit main board  . ( logo start , if HDD does not work only  )  . I had many clients with same problem. Unfortunately AV unit can't be repairable 

• Tim, forty-two, 7racer and 2 others like this
16509003 1822982454610305 6579302092427434087 N

Nissan GTR R35 CBA entertainment and navi upgrade to OEM DBA "HD" MFD

CBA clusters conversion to DBA NISMO

LBP 3693
Album: legertas
18 images
0 comments

Crissy

Crissy

Stage 1 Member

• 179 posts
  • Joined 18-August 15

I did the Legertas update and therefore I have the original unit taking up space in the room where all the other parts go to take up space.  It worked fine before I replaced it but it did not sync with my phone so that is why I started my search for an answer and ended up here.  

If you want to replace yours with the same you had let me know.  

• Tim, 7racer and choerizo like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I have an extra working CBA faceplate/control panel that you can try. It only takes about 10 min to give it a shot.

Will definitely give it a shot, if anything to troubleshoot what the root cause is. The CD drive still accepts/ejects discs but nothing plays.

Yikes! Good luck man. It seems odd that they would all die at the same time since they are all separate systems. Did you check the fuses underhood as well?

Not yet. I can see the MFD backlight power on so I feel it's at least getting power... guessing it's like what legertas said and the AV mainboard is fried. POS.

I did the Legertas update and therefore I have the original unit taking up space in the room where all the other parts go to take up space.  It worked fine before I replaced it but it did not sync with my phone so that is why I started my search for an answer and ended up here.  

If you want to replace yours with the same you had let me know.  

Thanks Crissy! I may hit you up once I figure out what needs to be swapped out if I don't go the upgraded route :)

• 7racer likes this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Current status:

mfd.jpg

We tried forty-two's replacement panel and no such luck. I'm thinking it's the bottom unit w/the hdd that is the issue.

• Tim and 7racer like this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,732 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Sorry man, total PITA for sure. Good luck!
  • choerizo likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

good luck! I don't know how you're going to fix that?  Do you have a replacement to try (bottom unit)

• choerizo likes this

In7anity!!

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

I might look to source one locally or pick up Crissy's if I don't decide to upgrade to DBA.

• 7racer and Crissy like this

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

For documentation purposes, checked the 15A audio fuse under the hood and it was fine. 

Display goes from off to backlight after a few seconds when I turn on the car so it seems to be getting power. 

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Also found this thread: http://www.gtrlife.c...gnose-av-issue/

Going to check the BAT/ACC lines to see if they are getting power in a bit.

• 7racer likes this

legertas

legertas

Stage 1 Member

• Vendors
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 13-October 14
  • LocationLithuania

I was left in life som

Also found this thread: http://www.gtrlife.c...gnose-av-issue/

Going to check the BAT/ACC lines to see if they are getting power in a bit.

I was left here my comments :)  and you should rear other thread http://www.gtrlife.c...0910-av-units/  . For 99% you AV unit is died :( 

• choerizo likes this
16509003 1822982454610305 6579302092427434087 N

Nissan GTR R35 CBA entertainment and navi upgrade to OEM DBA "HD" MFD

CBA clusters conversion to DBA NISMO

LBP 3693
Album: legertas
18 images
0 comments

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,642 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

Also would it be any cheaper if I sourced my own AV unit from a DBA?

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,156 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Also would it be any cheaper if I sourced my own AV unit from a DBA?

I think the connectors are different no? I don't think you can just swap. And its a lot more expensive when I was looking for replacements

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,742 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I think the connectors are different no? I don't think you can just swap. And its a lot more expensive when I was looking for replacements

The connectors are very different.  Legertas unit with cables is the only way.  And I strongly encourage this replacement.

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users