Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Boost Logic Woes

boost logic turbos turbo inlets 1050x

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

J5isalive

J5isalive

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 401 posts
  • Joined 27-September 13

untested?

Yes... when the OP purchased these there was not a single Dyno or any real world data on these turbos.

So yes... untested

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,086 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

This is why buying a kit through a manufacturer's approved dealer and installer is the way to go.  It may cost more than buying direct because of sales tax and dealer margin but any defect claims/install issues would hopefully be handled between the manufacturer and the installer rather than through the retail customer.  I am a big fan of the under one roof approach to performance mods.    Causation in these types of legal disputes is very hard to prove.  Strong interpersonal relationships and mutual trust  between a customer and a shop that can take ownership of a customer's whole build because all parts and work on the car have been through the shop is the much better approach. 

That being said I hope the OP gets his car fixed and running really well.   This situation really sucks.               

Good advice, and the turbos *were* purchased through an approved dealer. That dealer had internal business issues with his shop landlord and could only work on the car in bits and pieces.  It took 3 months just to get the turbos in.  Imagine not having access to a (very small sq footage) shop because the other partner's personal cars were blocking the way.  It was a sucky situation for everyone.

• 7racer likes this

2015 BE Frankenmotor

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 267 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

We have and many other shops in the US and Worldwide have used our titanium inlets and intakes without any issue. Our inlets and intake pipes are fused together without any filler rod. Additionally, the pie cuts are laser cut and cleaned, thereby not creating a possibility of slag. If there was a potential issue, I would be the first person to stand up and take care of the situation.

-Zohair

The fact that you fused as opposed to using filler rod does not eliminate the possibility of oxidation (slag is not the correct term).  You needed to either back purge the weld to create an inert environment or use Solar Flux B to shield the backside of the weld from oxidation.  I've been welding for 18 years (not professionally) and you can create oxidized metal on the backside of a weld even if fusing, which can be detected in the pics provided although minor.  This material can be brittle and you 100% have to be mindful this stuff can come lose and should be ground off to eliminate this potential issue.

2006 EVO IX (573hp/439tq @ wheels)

2009 GTR Premium (707hp/628tq @ wheels)

Built RB26 with no home (everything is for sale...lots of stuff)

Garrett V-band TwinScroll GTX35r Topmount Experiment
Garrett V-band TwinScroll GTX3576r, Curt Brown 10:1 2L, R2's, 110octane, 573hp/439tq

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,086 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Guys, this is going nowhere.  There just isn't enough proof, and this could go back and forth forever.  So I'm just going to eat the additional $5-6K needed to fix the issue.  This is one of those situations that the less I say right now, the better.  

Before I lose all credibility, I would like to say this: Look closely at what you receive from vendors (re: what 240Z Twin Turbo said) and make sure that your installer knows and understands the products.

• elf_cruiser and BAZ007 like this

2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,174 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Fix the issue by selling up and getting a set of elite plus?

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,086 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Fix the issue by selling up and getting a set of elite plus?

It would end up being a short sale sold "as-is", "use at your own risk; you knew the story..."

2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,174 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
I dunno man, this seems like good money after bad. You'd take a loss for sure, but the end result would be something you could have confidence in for how many years to come?
  • awdtt likes this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,086 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

I dunno man, this seems like good money after bad. You'd take a loss for sure, but the end result would be something you could have confidence in for how many years to come?

I was thinking about that until I learned that the TSM Elites use BL's titanium intakes.  Or, so I understand.  I need turbos that can easily make 900+ on pump gas so that when I update my fuel system, clutches, and trans, I can bump up the boost from 20+ to 30+. Most importantly, they need to have a beefy manifold and turbine housing to absorb the prolonged heat from tracking.

• 7racer likes this

2015 BE Frankenmotor

240Z TwinTurbo

240Z TwinTurbo

Stage 2.5 Member

• 267 posts
  • Joined 06-February 14
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Guys, this is going nowhere.  There just isn't enough proof, and this could go back and forth forever.  So I'm just going to eat the additional $5-6K needed to fix the issue.  This is one of those situations that the less I say right now, the better.  

Before I lose all credibility, I would like to say this: Look closely at what you receive from vendors (re: what 240Z Twin Turbo said) and make sure that your installer knows and understands the products.

I don't think it is a question of you losing credibility because you paid a lot money, which resulted in a damaged turbocharger that requires substantially more money to fix.  Hard to know what actually happened so other than telling the story and pointing out your concerns there is not much more to be said.  People will read this review and make up their own minds whether or not they want to do business with Boost Logic.  Just stick to the facts and avoid conjecture...that's all you can do.

• thehelix112, ghostrider and awdtt like this

2006 EVO IX (573hp/439tq @ wheels)

2009 GTR Premium (707hp/628tq @ wheels)

Built RB26 with no home (everything is for sale...lots of stuff)

Garrett V-band TwinScroll GTX35r Topmount Experiment
Garrett V-band TwinScroll GTX3576r, Curt Brown 10:1 2L, R2's, 110octane, 573hp/439tq

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,748 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
The last set of elites I did had aluminum intakes.

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,174 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Hmmm I was pretty sure tsm builds that use elite plus run the tsm intakes..? Maybe Cicio can confirm.

Bse

Bse

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 14-September 13
I've installed a few Elite turbos and they all came with aluminum intakes.
  • choerizo and elf_cruiser like this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,086 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

I've installed a few Elite turbos and they all came with aluminum intakes.

"We cannot refund you for your mechanics sloppy work and the problems it has created. We use these titanium parts on all of our kits without any issues, additionally other shops such as TSM use them in their Elite Plus kits which also have no issues."

So, are there some TSM Elite Plus kits that use BL intakes and others that don't?

Edited by awdtt, 06 September 2017 - 12:43 AM.

2015 BE Frankenmotor

impreziv1

impreziv1

Stock

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 16-June 17

"We cannot refund you for your mechanics sloppy work and the problems it has created. We use these titanium parts on all of our kits without any issues, additionally other shops such as TSM use them in their Elite Plus kits which also have no issues."

So, are there some TSM Elite Plus kits that use BL intakes and others that don't?

I love to see the bullshit logic these companies use when something goes wrong" we've never had this happen so therefore it didn't happen to you " lol

If I were BL I'd have taken the turbos back, refunded the customer their money and ate the rebuild cost before it ever escalated to this point/hit the forum. Chalk that up to the"cost of doing business"

You'd think having been in this business for as long as BL has they'd know when it's just one of those situations where it's best for all parties to cut ties, and move on, but no.. If they thought it was OP's sloppy mechanic, or whatever other excuse they can think of, fine, cut ties and let some other retailer sell him some turbos and deal with the headache.

Edited by impreziv1, 06 September 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Blkonblk88

Blkonblk88

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 117 posts
  • Joined 15-February 13
Pretty sure most are using these intakes with no issues. Myself as well. Tsm stocks them on the shelf all day long....

Edited by Blkonblk88, 06 September 2017 - 11:12 AM.

turbohardtop

turbohardtop

Stock

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 21-April 16

I think as with any project, the more vendors you have involved the more you are going to have fingers pointing.  I am having my car built at BL with the same kit.  My car should be finished in a few weeks and will post results on this site.  I have known Zohair for many years, he is a very fair person.  I think it is hard to pinpoint what really happened with the install to cause the damage to the impeller.

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,227 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Zohar you have a PM
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

BAZ007

BAZ007

Stage 4 Member

• 834 posts
  • Joined 24-January 15

Man, I understand your frustration and I can only hope you get a fix. All considered, would you take BL on their deal and maybe you guys could split the cost on the CHRA and you get new intakes so that you actually get what you were hoping for?

I'm saying damage control that actually can yield a reasonable outcome, everything considered.

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• 1,086 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

Man, I understand your frustration and I can only hope you get a fix. All considered, would you take BL on their deal and maybe you guys could split the cost on the CHRA and you get new intakes so that you actually get what you were hoping for?

I'm saying damage control that actually can yield a reasonable outcome, everything considered.

I ended up getting a new CHRA at cost. That was the deal offered so I grabbed it.
  • BAZ007 likes this

2015 BE Frankenmotor

BAZ007

BAZ007

Stage 4 Member

• 834 posts
  • Joined 24-January 15

I ended up getting a new CHRA at cost. That was the deal offered so I grabbed it.

I would have done the same. So with that addressed, is there anything else BL recommends to achieve your goals with this build to ensure it is done 100% this time?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boost logic, turbos, turbo inlets, 1050x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users